Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: How do you like the album, a year down the road?  (Read 16432 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: How do you like the album, a year down the road?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2021, 01:35:47 PM »
I've always wondered about STP album. It is completely different from Golden Heart. Violins, pipes, bagpipes, etc. gone ... Maybe the four years silence were too long.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 01:44:10 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2021, 01:54:36 PM »
I absolutely love the 'Folk' side of MK especially the pipes and that's why I love STP in fact I'd say if there was one track to introduce a friend to MK it has to WII.....Just perfect in every way...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »
Yes, but the scale of the folk instruments on Sailing To Philadelphia album decreased. This is a completely different level.
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
Yes, but the scale of the folk instruments on Sailing To Philadelphia album decreased. This is a completely different level.

Yes I get that, MK obviously wanted to do a 'rootsy' 1st album and then a much smoother 2nd album....Well that's my read of it anyway...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2021, 02:46:48 PM »
 :thumbsup It's a fascinating process.
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2021, 02:48:45 PM »
:thumbsup It's a fascinating process.

Both fascinating and yet interesting at the same time.....love the ambience of STP - It has to be said it's a 'go to album' for an MK fix!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2024, 11:16:14 PM »
I'm revisiting this album tonight, after a long time. I'm not listening intently, just playing it on Bluetooth earbuds as background music while I'm working on the computer.

I have to say I like it. Not everything is great, and it doesn't have moments that outright "kill" (in that positive sense), but variation is good, and it flows nicely.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2024, 07:27:57 AM »
I still like it so much like the first day, I was very dissapointed with Tracker, which for me was very boring with only four songs that I liked (Laughs and jokes, Basil, Beryl and Silver eagle) and DTRW was like fresh air for me and I liked very much that the songs didn't had that long, repetitive and meaninless ending that most of the songs in Tracker had, all the songs in DTRW were musically well arranged, specially jewels like "Good on you son" that had great break parts like the drums/percussion solo, followed by a great sax part etc

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineLove Expresso

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2024, 12:46:53 PM »
I hated it and still don't like it. It made me fall off from MK/DS for almost four years. Four years where I did not listen to a single song or recording. There were some arrogant interview moments during the promo also which me also let me loose my love for MK which lasted for more than 30 years.

When my old record player finally broke forever in the summer of 2023, I decided to invest in a better system, dust off my old small record collection and started to buy vinyl again.

I got both solo Boxes but things changed with the Live Box. It was a strong comeback. I loved the stuff and fell in love again with Dire Straits. And now I am "Back in the saddle again" and the whole action about the new album is something I enjoy very much.

And I listened a couple of times to DTRW now (vinyl)  and find some good songs here and there, maybe five. But it still is the biggest disappointment as an album to me since the first DS album.

I have the feeling Mark went through some hard times from 2018 to maybe 2022 or so. But today he is changed and still the man I used to admire. He comes across very chilled and happy and I love everything he did this year so far. Long may it continue!

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2024, 12:52:52 PM »
One thing that strucks me from this record is that my two favourite songs, one was a discarted bonus track, "Back in the day" and a song that was even considered at all like "Precious voice from heaven".

Also some of the bonus tracks for me are superior to released songs!

Bot overall, I like it a lot.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2024, 01:25:31 PM »
I hated it and still don't like it. It made me fall off from MK/DS for almost four years. Four years where I did not listen to a single song or recording. There were some arrogant interview moments during the promo also which me also let me loose my love for MK which lasted for more than 30 years.

When my old record player finally broke forever in the summer of 2023, I decided to invest in a better system, dust off my old small record collection and started to buy vinyl again.

I got both solo Boxes but things changed with the Live Box. It was a strong comeback. I loved the stuff and fell in love again with Dire Straits. And now I am "Back in the saddle again" and the whole action about the new album is something I enjoy very much.

And I listened a couple of times to DTRW now (vinyl)  and find some good songs here and there, maybe five. But it still is the biggest disappointment as an album to me since the first DS album.

I have the feeling Mark went through some hard times from 2018 to maybe 2022 or so. But today he is changed and still the man I used to admire. He comes across very chilled and happy and I love everything he did this year so far. Long may it continue!

LE

Just to clarify by what you wrote that I highlighted in bold: Do you mean biggest disappointment of all his albums since the first DS album? Or was the first DS album your biggest disappointment up until DTRW?

OnlineLove Expresso

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2024, 01:32:59 PM »
Oh... language barrier ... I might have said that wrong. What I meant was that fom all his albums including DS, DTRW was the biggest disappointment.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2024, 02:14:03 PM »
Oh... language barrier ... I might have said that wrong. What I meant was that fom all his albums including DS, DTRW was the biggest disappointment.

LE

That's what I thought you meant  :)

For me KTGC was the biggest disappointment, followed by Tracker.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 37 queries.