Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2019 Tour Official Soundboard Recordings  (Read 161346 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: 2019 Tour Official Soundboard Recordings
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2019, 11:23:16 PM »
Alexander Q: I have been trying to direct attention to that mixing error for months. Also here. I even contacted Richard himself and he said he’ll pass the info on. Now it’s too late and all the mixing done. I guess we’ll have to live with the Lisbon and Madrid Speedway version in which Richard comes in pretty ok in the mix. The truth must be: Mark wants the outro to sound like the current mix. But I still say the overall sound of the downloads is lightyears better that 2015 and 2013.

Guy Fletcher A: No, the truth is the concerts were mixed by someone who never saw the show, a very difficult task for any engineer. I oversaw the early mixes and corrected and guided as best I could from afar, but they were never going to be perfect. They are after all, board mixes. They vary greatly.

My take: Super amateur stuff as usual

I wonder how much work it would be for Guy to take the tour "Best Of" or even the MSG show and mix it himself...

Surely we would then be able to obtain a better quality product and there would be a better representation of the actual show out there.

The recordings from this tour have been a lot better than the last two, and they are a great keepsake for the diehard fans, but, they are still miles away from the stuff the likes of Springsteen releases via Nugs for example.

Unfair comparison as Springsteen and his management oversee wonderful boxsets and employ the best to remaster (very) old shows while Mark and his (nowhere near as good)manager employ the cheapest guys to offer the minimal at the highest price.
It is really sad how MK and his yes men treat his back catalogue and live recordings with such disdain.

I suspect it's all about the sales.

Springsteen has a bigger, more mainstream audience. He's part of their cultural furniture. The sales of said concerts  in the US alone would dwarf anything Mark would put out.  I wouldn't mind betting that all the costs of recording\documenting those shows are paid for up front by BS's distributor/record company. Knowing that they're almost certainly going to be profitable.

I don't think MK mistreats his live performances. He's just not at the level of perfection he once was and to be fair he's on record from at least 30ish years ago stating his strong dislike of live albums, mainly because 90% of them are not live.

I Wonder how many after the fact overdubs (or 'fixes' as they're known in the trade) there are on the average Springsteen live release?

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #616 on: October 17, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
which was your favourite of us tour lis?
Hey crimmer!!!
The US shows I got to see were spectacular!!!  MK was in a great mood, and the band just jelled.  :D
Faves were: Milwaukee, Woodinville 1 and 2, Santa Barbara and New York.  He just kept getting better.  Really.

I bought Woodinville 1 and it's awesome 8) also bought MSG!
Nice!!  I will need to get these, too!! 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2019, 10:30:11 PM »
Springsteen has a bigger audience but its hard core fans only really buying the nugs stuff and big boxsets.

Be very interesting to see what makes it onto the best of...

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #618 on: October 17, 2019, 10:51:12 PM »
Alexander Q: I have been trying to direct attention to that mixing error for months. Also here. I even contacted Richard himself and he said he’ll pass the info on. Now it’s too late and all the mixing done. I guess we’ll have to live with the Lisbon and Madrid Speedway version in which Richard comes in pretty ok in the mix. The truth must be: Mark wants the outro to sound like the current mix. But I still say the overall sound of the downloads is lightyears better that 2015 and 2013.

Guy Fletcher A: No, the truth is the concerts were mixed by someone who never saw the show, a very difficult task for any engineer. I oversaw the early mixes and corrected and guided as best I could from afar, but they were never going to be perfect. They are after all, board mixes. They vary greatly.

I wonder how much work it would be for Guy to take the tour "Best Of" or even the MSG show and mix it himself...

Surely we would then be able to obtain a better quality product and there would be a better representation of the actual show out there.

The recordings from this tour have been a lot better than the last two, and they are a great keepsake for the diehard fans, but, they are still miles away from the stuff the likes of Springsteen releases via Nugs for example.

Unfair comparison as Springsteen and his management oversee wonderful boxsets and employ the best to remaster (very) old shows while Mark and his (nowhere near as good)manager employ the cheapest guys to offer the minimal at the highest price.
It is really sad how MK and his yes men treat his back catalogue and live recordings with such disdain.

Springsteen has a bigger, more mainstream audience. He's part of their cultural furniture. The sales of said concerts  in the US alone would dwarf anything Mark would put out.  I wouldn't mind betting that all the costs of recording\documenting those shows are paid for up front by BS's distributor/record company. Knowing that they're almost certainly going to be profitable.

I don't think MK mistreats his live performances. He's just not at the level of perfection he once was and to be fair he's on record from at least 30ish years ago stating his strong dislike of live albums, mainly because 90% of them are not live.

I Wonder how many after the fact overdubs (or 'fixes' as they're known in the trade) there are on the average Springsteen live release?

Good points!

I would be surprised if the shows are over dubbed and fixed. These guys are out on tour... surely the last thing they want to do between shows is correct last nights mistakes?

I know one or two of the MK shows from this year seem to have "corrections", but I'd bet that MK knew little to nothing about that. Wouldn't surprise me if the remote mixing guy was instructed to nab parts from past shows to cover up the greenies.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2019, 02:43:47 PM »
Hmm, when do we actually get the compilation of 16 songs? 3 weeks are over now, aren’t they? ;D

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #620 on: October 18, 2019, 04:59:49 PM »

Good points!

I would be surprised if the shows are over dubbed and fixed. These guys are out on tour... surely the last thing they want to do between shows is correct last nights mistakes?

I know one or two of the MK shows from this year seem to have "corrections", but I'd bet that MK knew little to nothing about that. Wouldn't surprise me if the remote mixing guy was instructed to nab parts from past shows to cover up the greenies.

I wasn't talking about the 'immediate release' kind of shows really. 

When GF says that those kind of quick turnarounds are a challenge for an engineer he's so right. Imagine editing/mixing/mastering 64 channels of uncompressed audio for a 2\2.5 hour show, trying to make sure every song sounds ok, and all in a short space of time. I've been there and just a single show is a challenge in itself, let alone a whole tour with a tight release schedule.

I was referring more to official live album\dvd territory. Fixes might not even be to correct mistakes, more to correct technical issues. Listen to the Local Hero intro on the original release of Alchemy, you can clearly hear a buzzy guitar channel. The majority of producers\artists would have 'fixed' it. Imo as soon as you do that it's no longer a live album, and there are some big names who are guilty of this. The Eagles live album for example, is a joke, as huge chunks of it were re-recorded after the fact. As their own producer admitted later, harmony and instrument fixes made "courtesy of Federal Express.". And they're not the only ones....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:17:21 PM by 2manyguitars »

OfflinePortobelloBelle

• Guitar George
« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2019, 01:16:07 AM »
So where are we at with the tour recordings?  Still waiting on Phoenix, L.A. and MSG - or has everyone received them but me? ☹

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2019, 07:14:30 AM »
So where are we at with the tour recordings?  Still waiting on Phoenix, L.A. and MSG - or has everyone received them but me? ☹

Everyone is waiting for them.. Guess they had a week off, they are more than 1 week behind original "3 weeks after concert" schedule.

Austin is still not released either due to "technical issues".. was same with Stuttgart before that came out

OfflinePortobelloBelle

• Guitar George
« Reply #623 on: October 22, 2019, 01:41:39 AM »
Received Phoenix (September 21) link today to the recording.   :clap

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
« Reply #624 on: October 26, 2019, 11:11:13 AM »
All concerts are now available!
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

OnlineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #625 on: October 26, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »

MSG sound quality is pretty good, it lacks some high frequencies but that's totally fixable with EQ. I did some processing/mastering on a few 2015 recording (which were much worse) but will definitely work on this show and maybe some other 2019 shows, very precious stuff.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:56:29 PM by TheTimeWasWrong »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »

And marvellous they all are too!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedvschend

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #627 on: October 27, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »

Not all. RAH are still missing. The only one I really want  :smack

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »

I know , not too fussed about first night, but would like the 2nd night
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #629 on: October 27, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »

Official recordings from the RAH I would agree....
I think Markus was meaning all of the North America tour concerts were available and he is 100% correct....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:40:05 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 37 queries.