Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody & Sultans of Swing  (Read 14889 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody & Sultans of Swing
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
I'm just back from the movie about Queen, and I loved it, despite all the controversies about it.

What a pleasure, in the great reconstitution of Live Aid, to hear the end of the KILLER (ah,ah) version of Sultans, prior to Queen's entrance ! Although I was a bit pissed that Dire Straits was not even mentioned in the list of great artists that would perform on that day...

This makes me think, has Mark and Freddie ever spoke about each other ? Very different styles, both musically and personally (Mark is as quiet as Freddie was excessive), but two musical geniuses, each in his own way...
I have seen this yesterday also an insult to DS because they said: no phones (people who donated money) after Mark Knopfler. If PC has balls he calls Bryan Singer and askes him for a declaration, wtf Singer wanted with this scene. A very good movie but A BIG INSULT TO MARK!
I'm not so sure it was an insult to MK. They wanted to say that Queen was the one who brought more money than any other Groups that were performing on Live Aid.... Who wants to Live Forever??  Freddie is gone but Mark is alive.. So who's the winner after all these years and who cares ???

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 10:24:35 PM »
I'm just back from the movie about Queen, and I loved it, despite all the controversies about it.

What a pleasure, in the great reconstitution of Live Aid, to hear the end of the KILLER (ah,ah) version of Sultans, prior to Queen's entrance ! Although I was a bit pissed that Dire Straits was not even mentioned in the list of great artists that would perform on that day...

This makes me think, has Mark and Freddie ever spoke about each other ? Very different styles, both musically and personally (Mark is as quiet as Freddie was excessive), but two musical geniuses, each in his own way...
I have seen this yesterday also an insult to DS because they said: no phones (people who donated money) after Mark Knopfler. If PC has balls he calls Bryan Singer and askes him for a declaration, wtf Singer wanted with this scene. A very good movie but A BIG INSULT TO MARK!
I'm not so sure it was an insult to MK. They wanted to say that Queen was the one who brought more money than any other Groups that were performing on Live Aid.... Who wants to Live Forever??  Freddie is gone but Mark is alive.. So who's the winner after all these years and who cares ???

lollll
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 10:51:31 PM »

lollll
Thanks Pottel. Gosh I hate these competitions all the time. Queen was a fantastic Group. I love their music but Freddie was the one who made it possible for the others. And then when he tragically passed away, they tried to hire new singers and it never really  worked out because there was only one Freddie Mercury...   

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Love Expresso

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 11:19:31 PM »
I watched the complete Documentary tonight and enjoyed it very much. Thanks!

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »
I'm watching it this thursday, I hope it's a good one. So we got two DS references there, right? The end of SOS and the Mark/phone line? 
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
I'm watching it this thursday, I hope it's a good one. So we got two DS references there, right? The end of SOS and the Mark/phone line?
I watched the movie yesterday, I enjoyed it a lot. I only noticed the end of SoS but nothing else. The manager of Queen informs the band about live Aid and names a lot of bands and artists, but Dire Straits aren't mentioned at all. Which I found weird.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
I watched the movie yesterday, I enjoyed it a lot. I only noticed the end of SoS but nothing else. The manager of Queen informs the band about live Aid and names a lot of bands and artists, but Dire Straits aren't mentioned at all. Which I found weird.

Could it be that it was Mark who said "no" for mentioning DS in the movie? Obviously you have to mention it, because Queen played right after. And since they played Sultans no problem, no way they could just "forget" about it.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 10:16:53 PM »
Just saw the movie... I'm stunned, this is a very good movie. Given the amazing life of Freddie Mercury, there's not so much violence and private life if you know what I mean. Not a single scene left me uncomfortable, which is usually the case in the movies nowadays. I'm a huge fan of Brian May and pretty sure the movie is so sober and good because of him.

And by the way, his character is actually the best in the movie. But actor could've learn how to play guitar for that occasion. From what I can see, seems like that they even used the original guitar on set.

I don't think that all the details are technically correct, although Live Aid performance is one of the best recreations if I ever saw. I don't think that this show was like this behind the scenes as shown on the screen. The ending of Sultans is a very good touch, although my wife missed it completely being not a hardcore MK/DS fan. So you can safely say most of the people won't even notice Sultans at all. Because she missed it knowing that you can expect something MK related.

But again, if you want a true story, go see a Documentary. This is a movie, and for a movie, it's a very good movie.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »
So the no calls after Mark Knopfler line is from the doc, right?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »

Either there's no such line in the Russian version, or I never heard it. No DS reference, no MK, just a microscopic snippet of Sultans and a small copyright notice in the end of the end credits, that's all.

Offlinehuang

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
He’s truly a treasured participant, but he might be greater of a luxurious than a necessity for this Celtics group.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:57:25 PM by huang »

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
*SPOILER ALERT*

As it turned out, this movie has a little similarity with the actual history. For the sake of drama everything got exaggerated and rewritten completely.

I understand changing some characters, maybe some minor events. But discovering of Freddie's sickness before Live Aid? Queen got disbanded?

There's some serious inconsistency in the movie, and I'm afraid a lot of people will take it seriously. They should've write about it in credits.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »

Either there's no such line in the Russian version, or I never heard it. No DS reference, no MK, just a microscopic snippet of Sultans and a small copyright notice in the end of the end credits, that's all.

Intriguing since a couple of members mentioned that in previous posts  :think

Could anyone kindly clarify this?

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

Intriguing since a couple of members mentioned that in previous posts  :think

Could anyone kindly clarify this?

As I said earlier, there is no other mention of Mark or Dire Straits in the movie. The only reference is SoS you hear in the back.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
Just back from finally seeing this awfully good film. I'm not a Queen fan but I did enjoy this film. I did wake up however when I heard the closing few notes of SOS!!! No reference to DS or MK other than the 1 min or so of classic DS.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.