Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 24/96 or 24/19) digital release of DTRW?  (Read 19312 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: 24/96 or 24/19) digital release of DTRW?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
Folks I have a 4892-bit version through thermonuclear reactors, so all of you just shut up
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
I am looking for blind test studies on the matter.

The last one I got, people were preferring MP3 sourced audio over studio quality sample.

That sound like shit to read this but it tells a lot about how our ear is cheating us when talking about "taste" when we have to choose in all (blinded) objectivity.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 11:48:13 PM »
320kb/s MP3, despite being lossy, can be made to sound almost perfect.
Unless you listen to classical music on a very high-end system, it will be hard for most people to tell the difference with CD quality.
Proper mastering and quality of player, amplifier and speakers matter 100000 times more than the final medium, provided it is not shitty 128kb/s MP3...
A rock-solid simple CD player with a good DAC, a hi-fi amplifier and great speakers is all what you need for fantastic playbay, provided you careful choose CDs that are well mastered and not brickwalled...
This is when I want to treat myself with a quality listen, like DTRW first listen; most of the times I am happy with my Samsung sending Google Play MP3s via Bluetooth to my Blu-Ray player, which is technically horrible but still quite enjoyable !
Forget about LP, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, 192/24 flac files... All useless :)

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Oh, c'mon, Herlock. I thought we’d agreed a truce!
But I do listen mainly to classical music on a high end system.
Actually, I’ve been surprised once or twice by how decent 320k MP3 can be made to sound. Certainly adequate for non-critical listening such as in the car. (But I remember that once or twice cassettes didn’t sound too bad. And they’re the work of the devil!) But it ain’t as good as CD which ain’t as good as high res. Enough!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
While we have human ears, hi-res, wav, cd, flac, 320 kps MP3, vinyl and cassette, played in a good sound system, is going to sound quite the same good quality.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
While we have human ears, hi-res, wav, cd, flac, 320 kps MP3, vinyl and cassette, played in a good sound system, is going to sound quite the same good quality.
Exactly.
Ok, I won't argue any more about "high-res".
Anyway there is no market for it.
Most consummers are happy to listen to shitty music in shitty 128kb/s MP3 on shitty Apple players with shitty loudspeakers. CD is for them a thing of the 80s, and high-res is a geek thing they never heard about.
Let's all agree that the most important things are 1) proper mastering with no brickwalling, with professional oversampling and anti-aliasing fitering and 2) a quality hi-fi chain, DAC/Amplifier/speakers.
The rest is "sodomizing the flies",as we say in (slang) French :)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
Oh, c'mon, Herlock. I thought we’d agreed a truce!
But I do listen mainly to classical music on a high end system.
Actually, I’ve been surprised once or twice by how decent 320k MP3 can be made to sound. Certainly adequate for non-critical listening such as in the car. (But I remember that once or twice cassettes didn’t sound too bad. And they’re the work of the devil!) But it ain’t as good as CD which ain’t as good as high res. Enough!

Actually in the car volume can be so high (for example while travelling on a highway) that's exactly the moment a 320k mp3 is not enough
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 11:29:55 PM »
Interesting discussion.

But!

It all means nothing if the music isn't great.

I had Brothers in Arms and the Money for Nothing comp on tape in the 80s and would play them on my Sanyo walkman and Aiwa ghetto blaster.

Loved every minute.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
I see a direct relation between the way the sound fetishism of Guy and Mark increases and the way the musical quality scales down. Not that Mark has ever produced something bad sounding.

LE

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
I see a direct relation between the way the sound fetishism of Guy and Mark increases and the way the musical quality scales down. Not that Mark has ever produced something bad sounding.

LE

Made me think about Guy bragging about manual fade-outs. Man, if people can at least try to discuss the properties of High Definition audio, I think NOBODY, and I mean — nobody will hear the difference between manual and automatic fade-outs. Stuff like this to me is a complete fetishism and another sign of overproduction.

OfflineGrumpydwarf

• Local Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 12:45:39 AM »
Made me think about Guy bragging about manual fade-outs. Man, if people can at least try to discuss the properties of High Definition audio, I think NOBODY, and I mean — nobody will hear the difference between manual and automatic fade-outs. Stuff like this to me is a complete fetishism and another sign of overproduction.

There is a case for manual fades as it's easier to control the curve in real time. Linear fades don't work that well (and although you can shape the curve in ProTools, I would tend to use a manual fade as well as it seems quicker and more intuitive). I suppose they master to tape in real time after all automation is final.

Love Expresso

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
My Bacon Roll is faded out but at the very end of the fade you can hear that it has a "proper" ending. What kind of art is that?

LE

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
My Bacon Roll is faded out but at the very end of the fade you can hear that it has a "proper" ending. What kind of art is that?

LE

You got quite the ear... An interesting observation and ridiculous fact on its own. Pretty sure it's the best manual fade out they'd ever done.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
several songs has this in rock history (I am preparing an article on blog about this) :

firsts that came to mind are :

Springsteen Glory days
Stones stray cat blues
Harrison Art of dying

I think they are more of course

Love Expresso

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 08:55:13 PM »
I am not critizing it. It us just unusual to me and this is really a thing l would love to hear or read Guy talking about. It's a nice effect but makes me enjoying it and feel unsatisfied at the same time.
I am sure Guy would have good reasons for it.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 43 queries.