Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Musical official release - what do we want?  (Read 10824 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Musical official release - what do we want?
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »
Having been to the musical I can say that I don't want Mark to sing it now.  The cast did an amazing job and most are Scots, this accent being an integral part of the songs.  Just listen to the clips and you'll see what I mean.  Also, he just doesn't have the voice. 

I would like to hear Mark play on it though.  There isn't much guitar but there was one tune in particular where I thought I'd like to hear Mark solo on this.  For what little guitar there is on it it's a pity Mark isn't doing it.  Maybe he'll play one on tour... :think
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Musical official release - what do we want?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »
Having been to the musical I can say that I don't want Mark to sing it now.  The cast did an amazing job and most are Scots, this accent being an integral part of the songs.  Just listen to the clips and you'll see what I mean.  Also, he just doesn't have the voice. 

I would like to hear Mark play on it though.  There isn't much guitar but there was one tune in particular where I thought I'd like to hear Mark solo on this.  For what little guitar there is on it it's a pity Mark isn't doing it.  Maybe he'll play one on tour... :think

I'm inclined to agree with you about MK not having the voice for these songs.   Perhaps it's best left to those who can perform them best.  Mark has never had that kind of voice, even in DS days and in his solo career his voice has changed to something much more mellow.   The people in the cast are expert in projecting their voices - MK doesn't do that, I'm not saying he can't though!   So, what I'm thinking is perhaps a studio album isn't really necessary.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:59:53 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with you about MK not having the voice for these songs.   Perhaps it's best left to those who can perform them best.  Mark has never had that kind of voice, even in DS days and in his solo career his voice has changed to something much more mellow.   The people in the cast are expert in projecting their voices - MK doesn't do that, I'm not saying he can't though!   So, what I'm thinking is perhaps a studio album isn't really necessary.   ;)

It's not really necessary.  What's really important is seeing the songs being performed; the actions, dancing etc.  It's feeling the energy from the stage with the songs.  An album can never do that.  This is why I would recommend a fan to see the show because it's the only chance you'll get to fully appreciate these songs and by the time it reaches The Old Vic some of them will be omitted.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »
It would be great to have a video of a live performance, especially for those who can't get to a show.  I would love one as a memento of my visit to the show.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
It would be great to have a video of a live performance, especially for those who can't get to a show.  I would love one as a memento of my visit to the show.  :)

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »
I think that a cast record would be great but with the songs performed by MK and his band, as they did at British Grove.

With the biggest respect to the band playing live during the representation, but these are MK songs, written by him so it would be perfect to have them played by him and sung by the cast.

A bonus cd with some of the demos will be nice anyway.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:52:11 AM »
I think that a cast record would be great but with the songs performed by MK and his band, as they did at British Grove.

With the biggest respect to the band playing live during the representation, but these are MK songs, written by him so it would be perfect to have them played by him and sung by the cast.

A bonus cd with some of the demos will be nice anyway.

Yes, I agree for an album it would be nice to have a cast recording with MK and the band, but I would still like to have a video of the actual show for those who are not able to attend and for those who want to remember the show who were there.  We would then have the best of both worlds.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:54:14 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:01:20 AM »
Who knows, maybe they are doing it when in London...

From Guy's words, it looks like this Edinburgh representations are a "preview" of the London show. Obviously London is THE CITY for musicals, but they are doing it at the Old Vic which is not in Shaftesbury, where all the big things are, anyway, according to Guy the cast record will be released when the musical reachs to London and all our questions about another record with them playing are answered "let's wait to London".

The Old Vic is a bigger theatre than the Lyceum, and London a biggest city for musicals so, who knows...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 12:29:59 PM »

From Guy's words, it looks like this Edinburgh representations are a "preview" of the London show. Obviously London is THE CITY for musicals, but they are doing it at the Old Vic which is not in Shaftesbury, where all the big things are, anyway, according to Guy the cast record will be released when the musical reachs to London and all our questions about another record with them playing are answered "let's wait to London".

The Old Vic is a bigger theatre than the Lyceum, and London a biggest city for musicals so, who knows...

I think for Knopfler fans Edinburgh shows are a must-see because as Guy has said the show is likely to be edited and this will undoubtedly mean cutting some of the songs out.  At just under three hours long the Lyceum shows may be the only place to go if you want to hear and see all of the songs performed.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »

I think for Knopfler fans Edinburgh shows are a must-see because as Guy has said the show is likely to be edited and this will undoubtedly mean cutting some of the songs out.  At just under three hours long the Lyceum shows may be the only place to go if you want to hear and see all of the songs performed.

For anyone, EDINBURGH is a must-see!!!!!!

I hope the show is not cut before someone manage to record it, audio or video...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 12:43:50 PM »

I hope the show is not cut before someone manage to record it, audio or video...

To actually see the songs performed is so much better than just listening to them.  The energy emanating from the stage in such a small theatre is fantastic.  I agree with Superval regarding the video idea.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »

To actually see the songs performed is so much better than just listening to them.  The energy emanating from the stage in such a small theatre is fantastic.

Of course, but people that can't attend would emjoy a recording anyway ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »
I changed my mind about this topic...

After you attend the musical, is very clear that the official release should be sung by the cast. Another thing is the music, I would like that the music would be played by MK, Guy, Ian, Marcus, Robbie and McCusker, but the voices, must be the actors.

I would also like an special edition with a bonus tracks with the demos of the most important songssung by MK and Karen Matheson, the ones that are sung by characters Stella, Ben, Mac etc, the individual songs, as the company songs only have sense sung by the company, just like a bonus to the great work the actors do singing MK great songs.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:48:08 AM by jbaent »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »
I changed my mind about this topic...

After you attend the musical, is very clear that the official release should be sung by the cast. Another thing is the music, I would like that the music would be played by MK, Guy, Ian, Marcus, Robbie and McCusker, but the voices, must be the actors.

I would also like an special edition with a bonus tracks with the demos of the most important songssung by MK and Karen Matheson, the ones that are sung by characters Stella, Ben, Mac etc, the individual songs, as the company songs only have sense sung by the company, just like a bonus to the great work the actors do singing MK great songs.

Having seen/heard the musical I 100% agree with you.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:44:42 PM »
 Guess I'm in a minority of one, but I would be happy with a recording by the full Edinburgh cast, including the house band (sacrilegious I know, but I thought the band were excellent including the guitars and deserve to be heard on record).

I just wonder if the Edinburgh cast will transfer to The Old Vic next year or if there will be a new cast for London.

Whatever personnel may be involved in any soundtrack recording, what I would really like is for it to be a live or 'one take' recording rather than a perfectly produced studio version.

Best regards
This baker's boy from the West Country

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.