Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #05 DTRW TOUR - Apr 30 2019 - Altice Arena, Lisbon, Portugal #SPOILER#  (Read 44747 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Barca still my fave OUTITW, i think i should just buy that download now :)

Was that when they played Celta Vigo?  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineSpikerjack

• Guitar George
So which songs are going to be left out of the setlist by the end of the tour?
My guessing: STP or BR and TR. We already (temporarly?) lost WAM.
Or maybe we will remain stable at 17 with some changes.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Still loving the Live version of 'Vesta Man' very much and the trumpet start, it seems to make it a bit 'Christmassy' if you know what I mean especially as the song is set around Christmas....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Still loving the Live version of 'Vesta Man' very much and the trumpet start, it seems to make it a bit 'Christmassy' if you know what I mean especially as the song is set around Christmas....

Yes, especially as Danny comes in at the word Christmas sounding like sleigh bells!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

It will always be a mystery to me why Mark decided (decides?) to stick to such a static setlist. To play the same songs for that many show would drive me nuts. Maybe he just feels he wants to deliver the best possible product in terms of quality, after all people have paid a good deal of money, and therefore wants to keep working on details and minor changes? Or maybe he just isn't a spontaneous, risk-taking type of guy and values the sense of control and assurance higher? Could be both. Or neither :) I still don't understand how he and the band cope with the routine.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Yes, especially as Danny comes in at the word Christmas sounding like sleigh bells!

Hahaha, nice.....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
It will always be a mystery to me why Mark decided (decides?) to stick to such a static setlist. To play the same songs for that many show would drive me nuts. Maybe he just feels he wants to deliver the best possible product in terms of quality, after all people have paid a good deal of money, and therefore wants to keep working on details and minor changes? Or maybe he just isn't a spontaneous, risk-taking type of guy and values the sense of control and assurance higher? Could be both. Or neither :) I still don't understand how he and the band cope with the routine.

You have different kind of musicians. I've been in bands before. Played with guys who'd playing anything so so and played with guys who want to do less songs but do it perfectly and make it sound great. I'm not comparing myself to anyone around MK of course but I get it.... It's a choice you make. I think MK prefers the latter.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

hunter

You have different kind of musicians. I've been in bands before. Played with guys who'd playing anything so so and played with guys who want to do less songs but do it perfectly and make it sound great. I'm not comparing myself to anyone around MK of course but I get it.... It's a choice you make. I think MK prefers the latter.

Yeah, I get that, and Mark is also known to be a perfectionist. But you'd think they'd rehearse enough songs to have a large pool to draw from and vary things. Just for the sake of sanity :) If you play a 15-date tour, I'd understand you could stick to the same setlist. But with almost 100 shows? We're only a few shows in, though, so things may change later.

Offlinesadinomarafado

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle

...No Sultans is like a personal present for me, because you know how I hate this song...

For much less than that people were burned alive in the middle age...  :o :lol
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:39:52 PM by Dutchessy »

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
It's MK last big tour, and he looks like uncomfortable physically. A setlist set on stone could be a tool to cope with the long tour he has to do. He'll be safe with it and probably that would produce great versions to the middle/end of the tour as it's so played that it's perfect.

I think that having some songs in rotations, beside the "Going Home / Piper" one would have been great, playing one day "Bacon" and the next "Back on the dance floor", it would have been just one rotation that with repetition would had been safe.

We are just on 5th concert but in Madrid I was under the impression that this is going to be it until the end.

And that's not bad. This tour have some great surprises like "Once upon a time", "Heart full of holes", "Silvertown blues" that makes this set, even it's static, great and different, despite the come back of "Bore with Bonaparte", Danny's bodhran and the brass section doesn't turn it into something better, but they do it with "Paraguay" which sounds so great with trumpet, percussion and the latin piano thing...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
It's MK last big tour, and he looks like uncomfortable physically. A setlist set on stone could be a tool to cope with the long tour he has to do. He'll be safe with it and probably that would produce great versions to the middle/end of the tour as it's so played that it's perfect.

I think that having some songs in rotations, beside the "Going Home / Piper" one would have been great, playing one day "Bacon" and the next "Back on the dance floor", it would have been just one rotation that with repetition would had been safe.

We are just on 5th concert but in Madrid I was under the impression that this is going to be it until the end.

And that's not bad. This tour have some great surprises like "Once upon a time", "Heart full of holes", "Silvertown blues" that makes this set, even it's static, great and different, despite the come back of "Bore with Bonaparte", Danny's bodhran and the brass section doesn't turn it into something better, but they do it with "Paraguay" which sounds so great with trumpet, percussion and the latin piano thing...

Great answer and totally agree...

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird

Yes I was hoping for some rotation too but losing hope for every concert with the same set.

OSAAT will be the biggest mystery if it turns out they will never play it... Trapper Man would do so much better than NDT as opener...

Wonder if Paraguay will have the same brass sound as in Spain/Portugal for the rest of the tour. It sounds good and refreshing to that song.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:13:20 PM by vr46mk »

hunter

I'm a big Buena Vista Social Club fan, so adding that Cuban feel to Paraguay is amazing. I don't know anything about Paraguayan music to know if it is musically 'correct' to do this, but it's the same continent, so at least it's in the ballpark he-he

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
If MK is happy with the set list, I am too, because there are seven songs that I haven't heard live before and one - MFN - that I haven't heard live since 2005.  So that's not bad imo!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
If MK is happy with the set list, I am too, because there are seven songs that I haven't heard live before and one - MFN - that I haven't heard live since 2005.  So that's not bad imo!   :)

:thumbsup I think the same. I can not wait for July 10
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 43 queries.