Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #05 DTRW TOUR - Apr 30 2019 - Altice Arena, Lisbon, Portugal #SPOILER#  (Read 44749 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
If MK is happy with the set list, I am too, because there are seven songs that I haven't heard live before and one - MFN - that I haven't heard live since 2005.  So that's not bad imo!   :)

:clap :clap
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
OSAAT will be the biggest mystery if it turns out they will never play it... Trapper Man would do so much better than NDT as opener...

Wonder if Paraguay will have the same brass sound as in Span/Portugal for the rest of the tour. It sounds good and refreshing to that song.

I have said this already and I might be totally wrong, but I think that OSAAT is too personal for Mark.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
OSAAT will be the biggest mystery if it turns out they will never play it... Trapper Man would do so much better than NDT as opener...

Wonder if Paraguay will have the same brass sound as in Span/Portugal for the rest of the tour. It sounds good and refreshing to that song.

I have said this already and I might be totally wrong, but I think that OSAAT is too personal for Mark.

Certainly yes. I thought it would be the final of the concert. :think
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
It's MK last big tour, and he looks like uncomfortable physically. A setlist set on stone could be a tool to cope with the long tour he has to do. He'll be safe with it and probably that would produce great versions to the middle/end of the tour as it's so played that it's perfect.

I think that having some songs in rotations, beside the "Going Home / Piper" one would have been great, playing one day "Bacon" and the next "Back on the dance floor", it would have been just one rotation that with repetition would had been safe.

We are just on 5th concert but in Madrid I was under the impression that this is going to be it until the end.

And that's not bad. This tour have some great surprises like "Once upon a time", "Heart full of holes", "Silvertown blues" that makes this set, even it's static, great and different, despite the come back of "Bore with Bonaparte", Danny's bodhran and the brass section doesn't turn it into something better, but they do it with "Paraguay" which sounds so great with trumpet, percussion and the latin piano thing...

Great answer and totally agree...

+1.  Lots of interesting points there and I agree.

Another thing I might add though is that they are on a break of a couple of days so they can visit more wineries or perhaps rehearse a couple of songs.  We'll find out soon I suppose.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I still stand on the basis that the average concert goer only attend "one show per tour" so no need to change the setlist during the tour.

Doing rotation is only an artist choice.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
It's MK last big tour, and he looks like uncomfortable physically. A setlist set on stone could be a tool to cope with the long tour he has to do. He'll be safe with it and probably that would produce great versions to the middle/end of the tour as it's so played that it's perfect.

I think that having some songs in rotations, beside the "Going Home / Piper" one would have been great, playing one day "Bacon" and the next "Back on the dance floor", it would have been just one rotation that with repetition would had been safe.

We are just on 5th concert but in Madrid I was under the impression that this is going to be it until the end.

And that's not bad. This tour have some great surprises like "Once upon a time", "Heart full of holes", "Silvertown blues" that makes this set, even it's static, great and different, despite the come back of "Bore with Bonaparte", Danny's bodhran and the brass section doesn't turn it into something better, but they do it with "Paraguay" which sounds so great with trumpet, percussion and the latin piano thing...

Great answer and totally agree...

+1.  Lots of interesting points there and I agree.

Another thing I might add though is that they are on a break of a couple of days so they can visit more wineries or perhaps rehearse a couple of songs.  We'll find out soon I suppose.

I remember talking with Steve Phillips at one of his regular Tuesday night gigs. We talked about the NHB and Steve said what a great band it was. Steve said he had a list of songs as long as his arm but Mark just wanted to play the same stuff every night. Steve’s view was it needs to be fun for the artiste and therefore the audience will enjoy on that, but he said Mark is a perfectionist and would rather stick with the same songs, perfecting his output, so everyone gets the best experience he can deliver.

Stepping back, both Steve and Mark are correct. If you go to the theatre, Local Hero for example, they don’t randomly throw in another song. It’s all about giving 100% to the performance. Mark this tour has really changed the set list, he’ll now work at it to deliver the best he can (regardless of any separate and unconfirmed concerns related to his health).

Personally I think we’ve 1-2 further surprises to come. Gradually and sporadically. I hope WAM makes a return. If it doesn’t at Newcastle then there’s a fair chance it won’t again.

Have to say I’m very much looking forward to my gigs at Leeds, RAH and Manchester. But selfishly, as I’m attending more than one show, I’d “like” a bit of variation...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I really don't go along with this perfectionist theory as being why he sticks with the same setlist.  Why then go out on tour at all if you are such a perfectionist; only the perfectly played album versions will do.  Surely those attending the early shows will be hearing less polished performances so this is not the actions of a perfectionist.  If someone is a perfectionist to this excessive degree then they will deem only studio versions appropriate for public release I think.  I also reckon that Mark is not such an obsessive perfectionist, especially nowadays as he would've stopped touring many years ago.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
Fair comments DMG, can’t disagree with any of that.
But ... 12+ songs per album, less so in DS days but it’s very rare he goes back and plays anything previously I played live. Silvertown Blues is the exception this tour (rehearsed in 2001 but never played to an audience). Other oldies are a new arrangement and/or different guitar (do you remember Guy getting cross in 2011 I think when he said that WAM and Sonny Liston were different because of the blue Gibson).
There’s lots he will never revisit and as a show has to please a wide ranging audience then the only solution would perhaps be to play a residence somewhere with a different album every night. Now that would be amazing. Dreams...
So he’ll rely on tunes he considers ‘work’ and just get better at them.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
Previously “unplayed” live ... not I played live!!
Bloomin spell checker being a smart Alec again!!

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
I really don't go along with this perfectionist theory as being why he sticks with the same setlist.  Why then go out on tour at all if you are such a perfectionist; only the perfectly played album versions will do.  Surely those attending the early shows will be hearing less polished performances so this is not the actions of a perfectionist.  If someone is a perfectionist to this excessive degree then they will deem only studio versions appropriate for public release I think.  I also reckon that Mark is not such an obsessive perfectionist, especially nowadays as he would've stopped touring many years ago.

Come on DMG. Studio and live are 2 completely different beasts. Perfection in one is completely different to perfection in the other. One is akin to sculpture, the other very much 'in the moment'.  Your 130th attendance of any hypothetical MK show may well be someone's first and only. It's from this ethos that the desire to make the live show as good as possible comes.

Some artists refuse to play the same note the same way twice, and this too is a great approach, I've been lucky enough to see Bruce Hornsby a few times and he's a great example of this (you cant beat a bit of random atonalism!), but Marks approach is equally valid. Its just 2 ends of a wide spectrum.

Lets enjoy him while he's around because we will miss him when he's gone....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Come on DMG. Studio and live are 2 completely different beasts. Perfection in one is completely different to perfection in the other. One is akin to sculpture, the other very much 'in the moment'.  Your 130th attendance of any hypothetical MK show may well be someone's first and only. It's from this ethos that the desire to make the live show as good as possible comes.

Some artists refuse to play the same note the same way twice, and this too is a great approach, I've been lucky enough to see Bruce Hornsby a few times and he's a great example of this (you cant beat a bit of random atonalism!), but Marks approach is equally valid. Its just 2 ends of a wide spectrum.

Absolutely, and I'm not criticising Mark at all.  I'm just not going along with the perfectionist theory. 

Offlinezmiguelgomes

• Guitar George
Sharing two articles in Portuguese music magazins.

"There are no free guitars and Mark Knopfler is worth gold. Old fashioned farewell night at Altice Arena.
Ex-Dire Straits turned this evening's concert on his farewell to Lisbon audiences. And it was toasted with a full house."
https://blitz.pt/principal/update/2019-05-01-Nao-ha-guitarras-gratis-e-a-de-Mark-Knopfler-vale-ouro.-Noite-de-despedidas-a-moda-antiga-na-Altice-Arena

"Mark Knopfler: The Masters Say Goodbye Too.
The man who placed Dire Straits in the rock pantheon returned to Lisbon for a concert from which he bid farewell to his audience, although many did not know it before entering the Altice Arena. In the middle, he played some of the classics that catapulted him to fame, showed songs from his new album and gave, above all, a great guitar lesson."
https://24.sapo.pt/vida/artigos/mark-knopfler-os-mestres-tambem-dizem-adeus

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..

Absolutely, and I'm not criticising Mark at all.  I'm just not going along with the perfectionist theory.

This time round I think he is certainly trying to make the live performances as good as they can possibly be. That's surely a form of perfectionism, just not a note by note approach.....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Don't forget, that for the last 10 years or so Mark also needs to figure out setlist by his vocal abilities. Despite being an outstanding singer on records, he's not as perfect live as he used to be (if you can call that singing :lol).

I'm pretty much convinced that 5:15 am was dropped so early because of the song being too difficult to sing live. So he has to pick songs that's not too hard to play, not too hard to sing, but also remain unpredictable and fresh. An extremely difficult task if you ask me... And One Song At A Time could be another "too much of a song", it seems.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Don't forget, that for the last 10 years or so Mark also needs to figure out setlist by his vocal abilities. Despite being an outstanding singer on records, he's not as perfect live as he used to be (if you can call that singing :lol).

I'm pretty much convinced that 5:15 am was dropped so early because of the song being too difficult to sing live. So he has to pick songs that's not too hard to play, not too hard to sing, but also remain unpredictable and fresh. An extremely difficult task if you ask me... And One Song At A Time could be another "too much of a song", it seems.

Good point there and would certainly explain why Trapper Man hasn't made the set; can't imagine that sort of enthusiastic vocal live these days.  OSAAT I find easy to sing along to though, but it could just suit my voice.  MFN and Once Upon a Time would both benefit from a bit more oomph, the reason R&J and BIA haven't been so good for years.  In fact the last time his vocal has any energy or enthusiasm was the BIA tour!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:49:18 AM by dmg »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 37 queries.