Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #13 DTRW TOUR - May 13 2019 - Lanxess Arena, Cologne, Germany #SPOILER#  (Read 36700 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I love Silvertown but I also love OES - it's a classic.  So many bitter disappointments with the set choices.  Drop YLT for the love of God! ::)
Drop CBC, for the love of good taste !

I think I prefer it live to YLT.  I really cringe at how bad it is performed live, especially solo.  Even during DS days it was very weak.  The only one I find decent was the one from the final Sydney concert '86.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecold on the tollgate

• Guitar George
Going to the Birmingham show at the end of the month and am having real issue with choosing between whether I want to hear Silvertown or OES! DMG is right as OES is a classic whereas I’ve never heard Silvertown live. But OES was the first song I ever learnt to play on the guitar but I reckon Silvertown could be the highlight of the show!! Conflicted much  :think

I rarely make a comment on the set list but I think they need to drop HFOH. It’s a nice song but I don’t think it works in a live set, the 1-2 punch of SB & OES would surely work a better I feel

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I've heard that yesterday he didn't tell that it was his last tour or that he was more vague about it... I didn't listen to it myself so I don't really know...

Maybe changed his mind a couple of shows into the tour.. new album + 2020 tour?  :lol

I'll take John playing TR final solo on the cittern for 2020!

How about a cost saving kazoo version?

With the incremental rise in ticket costs each tour they can afford a golden cittern!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Going to the Birmingham show at the end of the month and am having real issue with choosing between whether I want to hear Silvertown or OES! DMG is right as OES is a classic whereas I’ve never heard Silvertown live. But OES was the first song I ever learnt to play on the guitar but I reckon Silvertown could be the highlight of the show!! Conflicted much  :think

I rarely make a comment on the set list but I think they need to drop HFOH. It’s a nice song but I don’t think it works in a live set, the 1-2 punch of SB & OES would surely work a better I feel

Indeed, I think the show drags too much in the middle.  Much too slow and things like HFOH (worthy though it is) and YLT do nothing to help.

OfflinePortobelloBelle

• Guitar George
Available soon at the Mark Knopfler Store:   Down the Road Wherever Cost-Saving Kazoos and Golden Citterns.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
I love Silvertown but I also love OES - it's a classic.  So many bitter disappointments with the set choices.  Drop YLT for the love of God! ::)

I think I prefer it live to YLT.  I really cringe at how bad it is performed live, especially solo.  Even during DS days it was very weak.  The only one I find decent was the one from the final Sydney concert '86.
Well... Yes and no.
The thing is, the studio version is unmatched live, especially because of the wonderful intro that was always dropped.
86 version was full of cheap synth. 92 versions were dull, with just Danny's percussions. All in all, 2015/2019 versions are best to me, because She's gone is a good intro (not as good as the album though), and the LP sound is good. Graheme sounds good too.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Why do you guys want to drop anything but CBC, which is the obvious weak and overplayed song in the set ? Take today's setlist, CBC out, OES back in, and you have a very nice set. HFOH is new live, touching and well played, it should be given a chance...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...

Well... Yes and no.
The thing is, the studio version is unmatched live, especially because of the wonderful intro that was always dropped.
86 version was full of cheap synth. 92 versions were dull, with just Danny's percussions. All in all, 2015/2019 versions are best to me, because She's gone is a good intro (not as good as the album though), and the LP sound is good. Graheme sounds good too.

2002?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinecold on the tollgate

• Guitar George

Indeed, I think the show drags too much in the middle.  Much too slow and things like HFOH (worthy though it is) and YLT do nothing to help.

I don’t mind the sit down section but it’s been the same since the first show. Maybe swap in a couple different slower ones? Drovers Road or Go Love for example

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

Well... Yes and no.

2002?
Just listened to it again, seems similar to 92, same simple percussion intro...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Well... Yes and no.

I prefer the sound of the Gibson Super 400 on it but I suppose that's a personal preferrence, however because it cannot match the studio version live I reckon it's better to change it completely as in '86 and play it with his Chet Atkin's (?) acoustic.  It had energy, pace and a much, much better vocal.

OfflineDutchMark

• Guitar George

I don’t mind the sit down section but it’s been the same since the first show. Maybe swap in a couple different slower ones? Drovers Road or Go Love for example

+1

and Gone with Bonaparte....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
I've heard that yesterday he didn't tell that it was his last tour or that he was more vague about it... I didn't listen to it myself so I don't really know...

Maybe changed his mind a couple of shows into the tour.. new album + 2020 tour?  :lol

I'll take John playing TR final solo on the cittern for 2020!

How about a cost saving kazoo version?

With the incremental rise in ticket costs each tour they can afford a golden cittern!

;D The golden cittern tour....

Each Show commemorated with a platinum encrusted usb harmonica, a snip at 500 GDP....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Why do you guys want to drop anything but CBC, which is the obvious weak and overplayed song in the set ? Take today's setlist, CBC out, OES back in, and you have a very nice set. HFOH is new live, touching and well played, it should be given a chance...

I'd be very happy to drop it but the set needs a pacy, energetic song in that spot.  Walk of Life anyone?

@tollgate:  Drovers' Road sounds good to me!  I just think there's a lot of slow tracks all the way from Bacon Roll right up to Silvertown now and when the main performer is sitting down it doesn't transfer much energy to the audience either.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:41:42 PM by dmg »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet

I'd be very happy to drop it but the set needs a pacy, energetic song in that spot.  Walk of Life anyone?
The only DS song that I despise ! C'mon ! :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.