Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #17 DTRW TOUR - May 19 2019 - Utilita Arena, Newcastle, UK #SPOILER#  (Read 23303 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: #17 DTRW TOUR - May 19 2019 - Utilita Arena, Newcastle, UK #SPOILER#
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:05 PM »
What line did he quote from Southbound again?

I'm also very curious.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejoko

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
Just returned home from Newcastle after another amazing concert.  If I thought Leeds was amazing then Newcastle was completely super-duper fantastic!    Everything sounded better for me, largely due to the fact that the echo that I had heard in Leeds was no longer there and even the brassies sounded better, including the trumpet.

Mark was in fine form and I completely disagree with the report from the Chronicle that this was a static audience.  When Why Aye Man began, there were lots of people on their feet, clapping already.   Mark told the audience how great it was to be back in his home town and quoted some lines from Southbound Again and then said something like "I hate quoting myself" and the audience responded, laughing!

Met up with lots of people from amit again and we ended the evening discussing the show over drinks at the hotel.   Thanks for a great time to my amit friends and, of course to Mark and his wonderful band.

PS Made it to the stage again, but had to climb over some people to get there!   ;D   Nobody seemed to know about the running of the bulls!  Some others cottoned on eventually!  ;)

My next concert is Verona, which I know will be bittersweet.

Glad you had a lovely time, I bet Mr Superval beat you up to the front??!!

No, I beat him to it - I always do!    ;D   

I'm looking forward to see that at Verona ...  :clap  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »

I'm also very curious.

If I remember correctly:

Every single time I roll across the rolling River Tyne, I get the same old feeling...

He was talking about his love of Newcastle and how he felt each time he went away and came home across the River Tyne.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
Just returned home from Newcastle after another amazing concert.  If I thought Leeds was amazing then Newcastle was completely super-duper fantastic!    Everything sounded better for me, largely due to the fact that the echo that I had heard in Leeds was no longer there and even the brassies sounded better, including the trumpet.

Mark was in fine form and I completely disagree with the report from the Chronicle that this was a static audience.  When Why Aye Man began, there were lots of people on their feet, clapping already.   Mark told the audience how great it was to be back in his home town and quoted some lines from Southbound Again and then said something like "I hate quoting myself" and the audience responded, laughing!

Met up with lots of people from amit again and we ended the evening discussing the show over drinks at the hotel.   Thanks for a great time to my amit friends and, of course to Mark and his wonderful band.

PS Made it to the stage again, but had to climb over some people to get there!   ;D   Nobody seemed to know about the running of the bulls!  Some others cottoned on eventually!  ;)

no RAH for you Val? such a pity!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2019, 07:27:39 PM »

I'm also very curious.

If I remember correctly:

Every single time I roll across the rolling River Tyne, I get the same old feeling...

He was talking about his love of Newcastle and how he felt each time he went away and came home across the River Tyne.

Thank you superval99:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »

no RAH for you Val? such a pity!

Would have loved to be there, Pottel, but Verona won on this occasion.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2019, 09:09:50 PM »
Hi Val, :wave
Glad you had a good time. The latest concert always seems "best" but there definitely seemed to be something special about last night's show.
The atmosphere was "indefinably different". I sent Guy a couple of photos which he has kindly added to his diary entry

I saw you walk past from my seat but didn't have the opportunity to say hello. Ingrid stopped near me & was looking around for some other AMITers so I had a chat with her before she returned to her seat for the show. Amazingly the  2 seats next to us in row E remained empty throughout the show, so presumably someone must have been unable to come after being allocated tickets!
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2019, 09:20:43 PM »
Hi Val, :wave
Glad you had a good time. The latest concert always seems "best" but there definitely seemed to be something special about last night's show.
The atmosphere was "indefinably different". I sent Guy a couple of photos which he has kindly added to his diary entry

I saw you walk past from my seat but didn't have the opportunity to say hello. Ingrid stopped near me & was looking around for some other AMITers so I had a chat with her before she returned to her seat for the show. Amazingly the  2 seats next to us in row E remained empty throughout the show, so presumably someone must have been unable to come after being allocated tickets!

Hi Aidan,   
Yes, there was a very special atmosphere last night.  We  enjoyed the whole show very much and Leeds was very special too.  I did think of you as we passed through Darlington on the train and hoped to see you at the concert - we could have sat next to you if we had known the seats were vacant!  ;)   Saw your pictures on Guy's forum btw. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
Poor Guy suffering from the 'Rangoon Krutz' :lol

http://guyfletcher.co.uk/19th-may-2019-newcastle/

Great photos Aiden...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:04:43 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 03:56:35 AM »
Poor Guy suffering from the 'Rangoon Krutz' :lol

Three days of German sausages and beer is a bit like asking for it, though. Having an upset stomach on tour must be a musicians' worst nightmare.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 06:47:13 AM »
Seems that OES in not that missed.. Just noticed it's no longer being played!

Offlinegeordie_60

• Local Hero
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »

Hi Hunter,

I don’t know what that reporter was expecting, but his report doesn’t reflect what I experienced. There will never be dancing from the very first song. My reading was that the audience was warm, respectful and encouraging most of the way through - listening to the quality of the music. MKs farewell announcement was met with some well-meaning booing etc. The only bit that didn’t really work was the response to Bacon Roll but that doesn’t sound to be a one off. Yes, the audience clapping to PFP could have been stronger but it wasn’t an arena full of teenagers....

The ‘encore’ though was a party and a blast. That reporter must have had a bad seat ;D

I agree entirely with this sentiment! I work with this reporter and I shall be taking him to task when Im next in the newsroom haha!!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
It’s been a while but I only got back from my trip away late last night, so here is my review of the Newcastle show.  Same setlist as Leeds.  Tragically the same airport-like security as Leeds, this time with airport-like queues.  A sad indictment of our times.  To the show itself and I was hoping for BIA instead of Piper, or even OES for Silvertown but not to be.  Not a fan of this venue.  Not great acoustics, not well organised inside, ugly building and not a nice location.  It’s the music you go to it for though and the sound from my seat was not very good.  My seat was another aisle seat, however unlike in Leeds not centrally located but as far to the left of the stage as the floor area goes.  Perhaps this had to do with the poor sound but Mark’s guitar sounded piercing sharp, losing its fine tone.

WAM played and I thought good, but not Leeds good.  CBC and again I can’t understand the reception this gets from the audiences here in the UK - immensely popular.  StP was a pretty poor version with Mark outshone by the sax playing I thought.  Nice cheer when he sang the line “I am a Geordie boy.”  I’m thinking this show is not as good as Leeds until Once Upon a Time which was the best I’ve heard from the tour.  R&J was much the same (but no mistake this time).  Nice versions both Leeds and Newcastle actually, although the outro solo is much shorter than it used to be.  During his MM speech a lady kept shouting “Mark you’re wonderful” from the area just behind me to the left.  He didn’t entertain her.  Interestingly when he spoke to the audience he said: “you get that same old feeling every time you’re moving down the line.” 

Bonaparte, just like in Leeds, I think Jim’s accordion is too high in the mix and he seems behind the rest of the band and playing away on his own!  For the encores I didn’t run like a bull because from my seat it would’ve been pointless.  Great MFN which received a terrific reception and the Toon Army anthem GH which they lapped up.

Overall I thought his playing wasn’t as intense as it was in Leeds but a couple of versions were better such as Once Upon a Time, R&J and GH. 

Saying goodbye was difficult at Newcastle knowing it may be the last time some of us will see each other again. People who have become friends online and in person.  I’m always overwhelmed whenever we meet up by the kindness of the regulars on here I’ve met over the years and I know that even if this is the last tour we will meet again.  We have made an informal arrangement to have a AMIT meet somewhere (probably London) if he does call time on touring.  Really sad today knowing I’ve only got Glasgow to do now.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »
It’s been a while but I only got back from my trip away late last night, so here is my review of the Newcastle show.  Same setlist as Leeds.  Tragically the same airport-like security as Leeds, this time with airport-like queues.  A sad indictment of our times.  To the show itself and I was hoping for BIA instead of Piper, or even OES for Silvertown but not to be.  Not a fan of this venue.  Not great acoustics, not well organised inside, ugly building and not a nice location.  It’s the music you go to it for though and the sound from my seat was not very good.  My seat was another aisle seat, however unlike in Leeds not centrally located but as far to the left of the stage as the floor area goes.  Perhaps this had to do with the poor sound but Mark’s guitar sounded piercing sharp, losing its fine tone.

WAM played and I thought good, but not Leeds good.  CBC and again I can’t understand the reception this gets from the audiences here in the UK - immensely popular.  StP was a pretty poor version with Mark outshone by the sax playing I thought.  Nice cheer when he sang the line “I am a Geordie boy.”  I’m thinking this show is not as good as Leeds until Once Upon a Time which was the best I’ve heard from the tour.  R&J was much the same (but no mistake this time).  Nice versions both Leeds and Newcastle actually, although the outro solo is much shorter than it used to be.  During his MM speech a lady kept shouting “Mark you’re wonderful” from the area just behind me to the left.  He didn’t entertain her.  Interestingly when he spoke to the audience he said: “you get that same old feeling every time you’re moving down the line.” 

Bonaparte, just like in Leeds, I think Jim’s accordion is too high in the mix and he seems behind the rest of the band and playing away on his own!  For the encores I didn’t run like a bull because from my seat it would’ve been pointless.  Great MFN which received a terrific reception and the Toon Army anthem GH which they lapped up.

Overall I thought his playing wasn’t as intense as it was in Leeds but a couple of versions were better such as Once Upon a Time, R&J and GH. 

Saying goodbye was difficult at Newcastle knowing it may be the last time some of us will see each other again. People who have become friends online and in person.  I’m always overwhelmed whenever we meet up by the kindness of the regulars on here I’ve met over the years and I know that even if this is the last tour we will meet again.  We have made an informal arrangement to have a AMIT meet somewhere (probably London) if he does call time on touring.  Really sad today knowing I’ve only got Glasgow to do now.
:clap :clap :clap :clap

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »

Hi dmg!   Thanks for both of your reviews.    I really enjoyed both of my shows, but I'm feeling rather flat and sad at the moment.   I hope you enjoy the Glasgow show and I'm now looking forward to Verona, but I know it will be bittersweet.   It was great meeting up with you and the other AMITERS and it would be lovely to have an annual reunion if the touring ends.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.