Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Another version of So Far Away from the OES tour  (Read 4052 times)

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
Another version of So Far Away from the OES tour
« on: June 07, 2020, 09:46:50 AM »
Hi all :)

Here is something rare! Another version of So Far Away from The OES tour! Only other version we know of is from Birmingham 1991. Filmed in Halifax, Canada 10.03.1992:

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Another version of So Far Away from the OES tour
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
Great find!  Very interesting that they should play it again once after deciding to drop it 6 months earlier!  Great to have a video on one of only two versions so we can see he used the Pensa-Suhr on it, probably as we would've expected.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:33:44 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »
Agreed. Luckily someone was there with a video camera and decided almost 20 years later to put it out for everyone to see 😄👍

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »
I wish someone would do the same for Béziers 1996 remembering that they had taped the whole thing...

hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »
Agreed. Luckily someone was there with a video camera and decided almost 20 years later to put it out for everyone to see 😄👍

Almost 30 years later :D

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 03:00:53 AM »
Its not immediately clear from this track, but the OES era esp. with the Pensa-Suhr, the guitar playing in terms of speed, detail (in the main) and improvisation was pretty impressive...there didnt seem to be much in the way of rusty fingers back then!
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

hunter

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »
Its not immediately clear from this track, but the OES era esp. with the Pensa-Suhr, the guitar playing in terms of speed, detail (in the main) and improvisation was pretty impressive...there didnt seem to be much in the way of rusty fingers back then!

Mark at his peak as a guitar player, technically speaking. He displayed some great playing too during the Golden Heart tour and NHB tours, but I feel the decline in terms of precision, speed and dexterity kind of started after the motorbike accident in 2003 (?).

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
Very exiting to see! Great version imo

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »

Mark at his peak as a guitar player, technically speaking. He displayed some great playing too during the Golden Heart tour and NHB tours, but I feel the decline in terms of precision, speed and dexterity kind of started after the motorbike accident in 2003 (?).

He certainly was capable back then - although he did make a lot more mistakes - but I just felt the OES tour was just plain dull compared with the BIA tour.  Maybe just a lack of effort. 

hunter

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 12:50:03 PM »

He certainly was capable back then - although he did make a lot more mistakes - but I just felt the OES tour was just plain dull compared with the BIA tour.  Maybe just a lack of effort.

I didn't attend any OES shows, but in hindsight the shows seemed very slick. The arenas were enormous too. I have a feeling Mark realized after a few shows "oh, no, what have I done" :) His marriage falling apart too at that time certainly didn't put him in celebratory mood.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »
Mark is certainly at his peak during 91 - 96 tours on the guitar.

Whilst I do listen to OES shows a lot, alas for me the sound of the OES tour was a massive departure from that of the BIA tour and the Mandela gig. 

Having literally worn out the tape of the Mandela gig, particularly sections of EC's solos, to then hear the radio broadcast of Woburn Abbey was a bit of a shock.  People tend to focus on the Pedal Steel guitar which of course is a massive insertation, but I think the biggest change in sound was the approach to drums - clinical and formulaic.  Whilst I really appreciate Danny's percussion, that was the first thing that struck me when hearing Woburn Abbey, along with the drums which are functional but lack the raw emotion of Terry's playing.  Add that mix to a well behaved Phil Palmer and lashings of pedal steel at any opporunity and makes for a totally different flavour.   

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »

Whilst I do listen to OES shows a lot, alas for me the sound of the OES tour was a massive departure from that of the BIA tour and the Mandela gig. 

Having literally worn out the tape of the Mandela gig, particularly sections of EC's solos, to then hear the radio broadcast of Woburn Abbey was a bit of a shock.  People tend to focus on the Pedal Steel guitar which of course is a massive insertation, but I think the biggest change in sound was the approach to drums - clinical and formulaic.  Whilst I really appreciate Danny's percussion, that was the first thing that struck me when hearing Woburn Abbey, along with the drums which are functional but lack the raw emotion of Terry's playing.  Add that mix to a well behaved Phil Palmer and lashings of pedal steel at any opporunity and makes for a totally different flavour.

Can't agree there.  He was really struggling with ToL in the first leg on occasion and even when not it sound weak and tired with extra notes being added at the end to cover up the fact he didn't have the energy any more to sustain such a long and powerful solo.  Most of the time it sounded a real mess compared with the BIA solos which sounded effortless.  That is the real test.

hunter

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »

Can't agree there.  He was really struggling with ToL in the first leg on occasion and even when not it sound weak and tired with extra notes being added at the end to cover up the fact he didn't have the energy any more to sustain such a long and powerful solo.  Most of the time it sounded a real mess compared with the BIA solos which sounded effortless.  That is the real test.

Do you mean ToL or TR? I'd have thought TR is the more physically demanding of the two.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 03:40:48 PM »
Very cool to see this. It seems that it replaced Heavy Fuel just before the intro to Romeo and Juliet.
Interesting that when MK started playing SFA in his solo tours (2001?), it was never placed in the beginning of the setlist but always at the end as an encore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »

Do you mean ToL or TR? I'd have thought TR is the more physically demanding of the two.

ToL.  I always thought when he played that it showed off his fluidity and had more improvisation as he was building up to the crescendo.  TR is really just a load of fast stuff.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 44 queries.