Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Question from an old DS fan  (Read 8252 times)

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
Re: Question from an old DS fan
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:24 PM »
you cannot seriously say you like EVERY song mk did right?

I do say.
Now it's obvious your statement is false.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »
What I like about KTGC is that it's incomparable to his other solo work. Everything is played so precisely, and the recording is so clear, it doesn't have that 'one-take' feeling of later records, but it also lacks that polished feel of STP/ATTR. The titles alone are magical, he got out of his comfort zone with guitar sounds (and fingerpicking), and I like the use of percussions on this record (heavily overused on DTRW!). The lyrics are superb, and his singing on the 2008 tour was his best ever. STP will always be my favorite record, but lately I'm rediscovering ATTR and KTGC. Isn't that great about his catalog? There's always something to rediscover: an album, a song, a sound, a lyric you name it.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2020, 10:54:31 PM »
Isn't that great about his catalog? There's always something to rediscover: an album, a song, a sound, a lyric you name it.

I do feel the same. No matter how many times you have listened to an album or a song suddenly it can happen you discover something you haven`t noticed before.
May it be the sound, the lyrics, his singing style what ever. This always amazes me and I would say that MKs music is music for a lifetime. A never ending musical journey, one could say.  ;)
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 11:48:38 PM »
Isn't that great about his catalog? There's always something to rediscover: an album, a song, a sound, a lyric you name it.

I do feel the same. No matter how many times you have listened to an album or a song suddenly it can happen you discover something you haven`t noticed before.
May it be the sound, the lyrics, his singing style what ever. This always amazes me and I would say that MKs music is music for a lifetime. A never ending musical journey, one could say.  ;)

Absolutely. As my "job" requires me diving deep into Mark's music one song at a time, I often discover some gems that I was skipping before. I know that this is not fare, sort of a brute-force way of loving a song, but it works. When you know what to expect, where to look for, any song can amaze you. In reality, every song has a meaning and was written because of something, nobody writes music just out of thin air. So it is possible to learn how to love the song.

I only wish more of this would happen automatically, like with many other songs. But sometimes, some work is needed. Think of it as the latest film by Quentin Tarantino, "Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood". I know people who were like "I don't like this movie, because I don't understand it". But if you know what's this movie is about, you'll love it with all your heart.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »
Absolutely. As my "job" requires me diving deep into Mark's music one song at a time, I often discover some gems that I was skipping before. I know that this is not fare, sort of a brute-force way of loving a song, but it works. When you know what to expect, where to look for, any song can amaze you. In reality, every song has a meaning and was written because of something, nobody writes music just out of thin air. So it is possible to learn how to love the song.

I only wish more of this would happen automatically, like with many other songs. But sometimes, some work is needed. Think of it as the latest film by Quentin Tarantino, "Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood". I know people who were like "I don't like this movie, because I don't understand it". But if you know what's this movie is about, you'll love it with all your heart.
[/quote]
 :thumbsup

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2020, 12:05:47 PM »

I do say.
wrong. but let's agree to disagree
p.s. OUTIH was an AWESOME movie.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »

I do say.
cowboy change your ways today or with us you will ride

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »

I do say.

Lol, jokes aside, but I think it's safe to say that even Mark himself is not someone who likes every MK song.

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2020, 11:40:39 PM »

I do say.

Lol, jokes aside, but I think it's safe to say that even Mark himself is not someone who likes every MK song.

Very true. In fact, does mark like any of his work ever? Lol...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2020, 12:02:55 AM »

Yes he does!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2020, 12:41:52 AM »

Yes he does!

Read that Mark have to say about The Bug, Wild West End, songs like that. The But probably got the worst treatment by Mark so far, I get a feeling he’s not satisfied with this song at all. Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
Pretty naive to think that every artist likes everything that he does. The artist probably say that he likes everything to look cool if you ask him, but in reality sometimes artists really don't like their own work. Whether it was a painting he or she made just to earn some money or a song that leads to nowhere, that you don't want to finish or rewrite, or record it to fill the space on the album. If you'd love everything, there would be no blues, no inspiration, some kind of opposing force is needed to evolve. Every beginner hates their work when they're beginners, but it doesn't mean that if you become the absolute master, you love everything. Like the part of you that don't grow up, the inner critic should be there at all times, or else you are destined to fall.

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2020, 01:59:16 AM »
Pretty naive to think that every artist likes everything that he does. The artist probably say that he likes everything to look cool if you ask him, but in reality sometimes artists really don't like their own work. Whether it was a painting he or she made just to earn some money or a song that leads to nowhere, that you don't want to finish or rewrite, or record it to fill the space on the album. If you'd love everything, there would be no blues, no inspiration, some kind of opposing force is needed to evolve. Every beginner hates their work when they're beginners, but it doesn't mean that if you become the absolute master, you love everything. Like the part of you that don't grow up, the inner critic should be there at all times, or else you are destined to fall.

Speaking as a songwriter myself I think you almost have to have a kind of cognitive dissonance about your own output.

It's not really the role of the writer to offer up personal opinion on their own work, that's not to say you shouldn't have an opinion on what you write\record (the inner critic as you put it),  rather an acceptance that once something is 'out there', your opinion natters the least.

If you see what I'm trying to get at...

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »
So what is your point folks? :smack

If you don't love your child, or you're not happy about him/her at some point, it doesn't mean someone else doesn't.
As an example, think of Young Two Lowers, "mama cried and poured the wine, papa just said God bless", but the Lover was who really loves her  ;D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:56:57 PM by Stanko »

hunter

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 01:10:00 PM »
I know songs are often talked about as the children of the songwriter, but really they are a snapshot of the songwriter himself at a certain point in time. As you grow and age, you often acquire new tastes and inclinations, you mature, and you view your younger self sometimes with a bit of pride, but often with quite a bit of embarrassment. You're just not that person anymore, and I think it's the same with songs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:03:54 PM by hunter »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 41 queries.