Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Legends Series: Rare Reproductions & Recordings  (Read 11735 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: The Legends Series: Rare Reproductions & Recordings
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
Well I don't see any correlation between merchandising and fame?

The MK signature Strat although being expensive was still affordable to a lot of people and not a limited run while in production.
The Les Paul is another history.

Regarding live recording well mark allowed almost all his shows to be recorded and sold since 2010.
But the market is limited and is enough place for BOTH a whole tour low quality production release AND an expensive production cost of a regular live album issued by the record company?

So the attitude of Mark and management toward the fan base is questioning but we can't say that he did nothing.

If the 2005 recording could re-released in better resolution would be a good step.

In the retrospect, MK Strat looks like a bargain because Mark is now officially the king of the most expensive signature guitars in the world. Martin were out-of-the-world expensive, Pensas are insanely expensive, Schecters are also out of the league for most players, Gibsons... Don't even start, notoriously expensive guitars, even the National, which is technically not a signature guitar, still costs like an aeroplane. I'd say — I love you Mark, but to hell with your signature instruments. I know that you're guitar God, but not all your fans are wallet Gods, if you know what I mean. Probably the only guitar that has some MK connection to it and not stupidly expensive is Danelectro, you can get one really cheap.

I still wonder why they didn't record 2008 tour, because that's the one I want the most, one of the best MK tours and of course, as you can expect, it wasn't recorded. I'd easily trade 2019 and 2015 shows recording for a single 2008 recording. Funny setlist, some really good songs, but meh...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 11:42:03 PM »
https://www.markknopfler.com/legendsseries/

Finally a signature guitar one can actually afford! :lol

How much?!£€£€£€€$$

I've an official limited edition of only 300 worldwide of Joe Bonamassa's ex 'Gold Top' Signature Les Paul in 1/4 scale and that only cost £45.....
Not sure they can warrant £350+
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 11:46:23 PM »
It looks like it comes straight out of Joe Bonamassa's webstore. JB's got a huge selection of merchandise, and a lot of it looks like the cheap garbage you'd find for sale on beaches in Turkey. It's pretty sad actually.

Having bought quite a lot of what you may call cheap garbage from the Bonamassa store quite recently, I can say 1) it's not cheap and 2) its certainly not garbage!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »
https://www.markknopfler.com/legendsseries/

Finally a signature guitar one can actually afford! :lol

How much?!£€£€£€€$$

I've an official limited edition of only 300 worldwide of Joe Bonamassa's ex 'Gold Top' Signature Les Paul in 1/4 scale and that only cost 45.....
Not sure they can warrant £350+

I can tell you I wrote that post BEFORE I saw the price :lol

I wouldn't buy it for £330 even if I used money as a firestarter for my fireplace.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2020, 07:30:20 AM »
Mark doesn't set the price of these guitars! It is only expensive if they don't sell, but the fact they do sell means people are buying them at that price. There are still plenty of other cheaper guitars to buy. The fact it has the name Mark Knopfler on it, naturally makes it more expensive. This is all clever marketing for the guitar makers, and good luck to them; for Mark it must be a thrill to have his name on guitars he fantasized about when he only had his first £50 guitar, I know I would be.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2020, 08:42:56 AM »
Mark doesn't set the price of these guitars! It is only expensive if they don't sell, but the fact they do sell means people are buying them at that price. There are still plenty of other cheaper guitars to buy. The fact it has the name Mark Knopfler on it, naturally makes it more expensive. This is all clever marketing for the guitar makers, and good luck to them; for Mark it must be a thrill to have his name on guitars he fantasized about when he only had his first £50 guitar, I know I would be.

I'm sure he's thrilled! But I won't say that the fact that guitars sell well justifies everything, people would buy even a toilet paper as long as it would have Mark Knopfler name on it. Mark has a lot of rich and loyal fans who can pull the trigger on anything with MK connection, so guitars would sell even with 10X price, it would just take a little longer.

There's a question of psychology also, who's the end buyer of an MK instrument? Surely a guitar collector is exactly a kind of guy who can buy some MK instruments, because it's a 'good investment'. But MK is not a collector himself. A professional musician? I think he would build a guitar to own specs, rather than relying completely on somebody else's, I've never seen Mark playing on an Eric Clapton signature strat. But surely a lot of MK die-hard fans are 100% confident that Mark's specs are the best specs in the whole wild world.

So it leaves only a tiny little fraction of actual genuine fans, who just love good guitars and not necessarily professional musicians, but the fraction is nothing on the grand scheme of things. Most of the guitars has gone to the collectors and rich people, not exactly inspiring in my book.

Coming from the guy, who said hundreds of times that he loves cheap guitars, and started on cheap guitars, selling 3-5-10 grand guitars is kind of strange... To me. If his ego can't stand putting his name on a cheaper instrument, why even bother because of the above? And all he can say: I'm sorry buddy, you don't have enough dough, come back next time.

I'm not a fan of all this signature thing, and I figured even if I had enough dough, I would go with a cheaper alternative without MK tax.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2020, 08:59:51 AM »
Of course, for selling cheap signature guitars one can argue, that 'only the beginners and broke lads would buy that crap', but at least this instrument would have a clear and dedicated group of people. Joe Bonamassa 'sells' his signature Epiphones for 700$ and nobody has died because of that. A hardcore professional or a collector would never bother buying such an instrument, but some random dad would surely buy this as a gift to his son, who loves Joe's music. Everything else is strictly business.

UPD: Brian May also sells a lot of his signature guitars and you don't need to rob a bank to get one of these: https://shop.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-bmg-special.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 09:14:52 AM by quizzaciously »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
On the mk.com page they mentioned the 16gb usb key twice. The first time they don't specify the format(s), but they mention 2013 in addition to 2005/2010/2015/2019.
The second time they mention MP3 but 2013 is gone...
Not sure what to expect. I would hope that this means they will sell again these shows on MK.com. 2005 and 2010 and to some extent 2013 were killers. That would be a good sign. I would hope for flac files...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
Of course, for selling cheap signature guitars one can argue, that 'only the beginners and broke lads would buy that crap', but at least this instrument would have a clear and dedicated group of people. Joe Bonamassa 'sells' his signature Epiphones for 700$ and nobody has died because of that. A hardcore professional or a collector would never bother buying such an instrument, but some random dad would surely buy this as a gift to his son, who loves Joe's music. Everything else is strictly business.

UPD: Brian May also sells a lot of his signature guitars and you don't need to rob a bank to get one of these: https://shop.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-bmg-special.html

Don't forget Hank, endorsing Squire by Fender Stratocaster's in the early 90s too.
The only difference with Joe endorsing the Epiphone Signature 'cheaper guitars' is that he does play them Live!!

Offlinetngemini

• Guitar George
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:30 PM »
Hi Everybody, did someone receive an email like this during the past few months? Strange echo with new releases of old stuff ...

"Hi,

My company operates MarkKnopfler.com and facilitated the live recordings on DTRW in 2019.

I am writing to you as I noticed that you purchased FLAC files for the shows that you purchased from the DTRW tour.

We have been unsuccessful in having Bleeker Street or Simfy provide the mixed recordings from the tours prior to Tracker. I am wondering if you had purchased any live recordings from Bleeker Street, Simfy or any company that may have come before that for the Privateering, Get Lucky or Kill To Get Crimson tours. We have no idea if the live recordings were even sold as FLAC files on those tours… but we would be interested in any digital files related to those tours.

I work very closely with Mark’s management and we wanted to compare the quality of the mixed live recordings over previous tours to see if we might improve the process should there be any future live performances. We had intended to make all available live recordings that we could find available. Unfortunately, Bleeker Street’s bankruptcy resulted in a disorderly windup and a bad hand off of the assets.

Please let me know if you are able to help in our quest to track down versions of previous tours.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards"

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2020, 11:15:24 PM »
Hi Everybody, did someone receive an email like this during the past few months? Strange echo with new releases of old stuff ...

"Hi,

My company operates MarkKnopfler.com and facilitated the live recordings on DTRW in 2019.

I am writing to you as I noticed that you purchased FLAC files for the shows that you purchased from the DTRW tour.

We have been unsuccessful in having Bleeker Street or Simfy provide the mixed recordings from the tours prior to Tracker. I am wondering if you had purchased any live recordings from Bleeker Street, Simfy or any company that may have come before that for the Privateering, Get Lucky or Kill To Get Crimson tours. We have no idea if the live recordings were even sold as FLAC files on those tours… but we would be interested in any digital files related to those tours.

I work very closely with Mark’s management and we wanted to compare the quality of the mixed live recordings over previous tours to see if we might improve the process should there be any future live performances. We had intended to make all available live recordings that we could find available. Unfortunately, Bleeker Street’s bankruptcy resulted in a disorderly windup and a bad hand off of the assets.

Please let me know if you are able to help in our quest to track down versions of previous tours.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards"

Yes, some of us received that mail too. We are collaborating with them.

hunter

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2020, 07:47:07 AM »
We have no idea if the live recordings were even sold as FLAC files on those tours… but we would be interested in any digital files related to those tours.

Fantastic.

Offlinedvschend

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2021, 05:18:24 PM »
So reading all your comments I'm the fool....well I like it  ;D

It arrived today. Number 135/500

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2021, 06:26:01 PM »
It looks darker than MK Gibson...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2021, 03:23:15 PM »
It looks darker than MK Gibson...

Yes, this is a "darkburst" finish. MK's is a sunburst.

Also, that's Fender case...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.