Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local hero musical cancelled at the Old Vic  (Read 12333 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Local hero musical cancelled at the Old Vic
« on: April 27, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »
I just received the following mail from the Old Vic:

We are writing to let you know that unfortunately the production of Local Hero will no longer go ahead at The Old Vic. We have tried to make this work within the theatre's schedule once we reopen but sadly this has just not been possible. We understand that this will be just as disappointing for you as it is for us and we want to thank you for your support of The Old Vic over the last year.

The Old Vic is an independent registered charity without any public subsidy and you sticking by us has been vital in helping us get through the most challenging period in our 200-year history.

Please select from one of the options below to let us know whether you would prefer a gift certificate or a full refund. Alternatively, you can also choose to donate the cost of your ticket to The Old Vic to help us continue in our journey to reopening

Very sad news, I hope this doesn't affect to the release of the cd with the music...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Local hero musical cancelled at the Old Vic
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »
I just received the following mail from the Old Vic:

We are writing to let you know that unfortunately the production of Local Hero will no longer go ahead at The Old Vic. We have tried to make this work within the theatre's schedule once we reopen but sadly this has just not been possible. We understand that this will be just as disappointing for you as it is for us and we want to thank you for your support of The Old Vic over the last year.

The Old Vic is an independent registered charity without any public subsidy and you sticking by us has been vital in helping us get through the most challenging period in our 200-year history.

Please select from one of the options below to let us know whether you would prefer a gift certificate or a full refund. Alternatively, you can also choose to donate the cost of your ticket to The Old Vic to help us continue in our journey to reopening

Very sad news, I hope this doesn't affect to the release of the cd with the music...

Wow, that's impressively sad. I think the opposite, releasing the CD would make it for a great "exchange" for canceled shows. Like, take at least the record.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »
Has an alternative new theatre location already been named?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:05:17 PM by skydiver »

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:08:25 PM »

Only information we have is that the Old Vic had cancelled it. No news about another theatre or the release of a cd with the music.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:21:41 PM »

I don't understand why they couldn't have done the same as Transatlantic Sessions have done - rehearsed the show then streamed it for the price of a ticket.   I bought a ticket for Transatlantic Sessions and then downloaded the show, so now I can still see it.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 12:36:05 PM »
They just have to bring it back on stage again.
If they can't do it in London, why not simply bring it back to our beloved Edinburgh for a rerun (where it truely belongs)...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »

I don't understand why they couldn't have done the same as Transatlantic Sessions have done - rehearsed the show then streamed it for the price of a ticket.   I bought a ticket for Transatlantic Sessions and then downloaded the show, so now I can still see it.   :)

These things cost millions to put on, I doubt it would be economically viable to get everyone involved together for such an enterprise without making a huge loss.

A real shame, I'm glad I go to see it in Edinburgh.

I hope the versions of the songs with MK singing see the light of day.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 12:44:08 PM »

I was so sad by the news that I didn't noticed what it says exactly:

"We are writing to let you know that unfortunately the production of Local Hero will no longer go ahead at The Old Vic"

I hope that means something and as you says, there is  chance that it goes to another theatre  :'(

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »
Somewhat perversely I believe there is a big shortage of venue space with thousands of events being postponed for up to 2 years.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »

I was so sad by the news that I didn't noticed what it says exactly:

"We are writing to let you know that unfortunately the production of Local Hero will no longer go ahead at The Old Vic"

I hope that means something and as you says, there is  chance that it goes to another theatre  :'(

I'm so glad that I was able to see the show in Edinburgh - I hope it returns to The Lyceum.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:07 PM »
Somewhat perversely I believe there is a big shortage of venue space with thousands of events being postponed for up to 2 years.

Agree... I wasn't expecting the musical to be back until Summer 2022 but I truly thought that it went back as it was the second or third play scheduled at the Old Vic when it closed, so I expected that following that schedule should be easy to reschedule the musical.

Well, theorically Local Hero had its spot at the Old Vic and got cancelled, who knows if other play had its spot and got cancelled too?

I want to have hope, as far as MK official site said nothing yet.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 04:11:13 PM »
I was kind of expecting this sad news I'm afraid.  As Dusty said I am also glad to have seen it in Edinburgh, probably where it most belongs, and feel even more privileged now. 

For those who missed out I can thoroughly recommend the record when it is eventually released, although the music will obviously mean more to those who have seen the show.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »
Just clicked the "refund" button.

I don't know why, this has been a quite hard thing to do. When damm covid stopped the world, me and my friends had hopes (very little) that the situation could be solved in any way and travel to London on summer 2020 to attend the musical, as far as they were not cancelling it, but in the end they didn't cancelled but postponed, which was logic seeing the way the pandemic was. The fact that they postponed was something there, a hope in a better future to come, a connection with being able to travel to London again, and enjoy something Knopfler-related with my usual gang of friends, but now, that's broken  :'(

This affected me more than I thought. I still have hopes that this is not cancellation of the musical but just for the Old Vic, specially to those of you who hadn't attented the musical in Edinburgh. Those of you who did, all of you know how lucky we were to attended it, it was beautiful, it was wonderful... I'm happy about attented at least the Edinburgh representation, but still sad about London ones  :'(

Just forgive this post. I kind of needed to write it...

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »
Guy says that:

Very sad that the Old Vic can no longer host. Stay tuned, we are not letting go of this.

Holding my breath...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »
Just clicked the "refund" button.

I don't know why, this has been a quite hard thing to do. When damm covid stopped the world, me and my friends had hopes (very little) that the situation could be solved in any way and travel to London on summer 2020 to attend the musical, as far as they were not cancelling it, but in the end they didn't cancelled but postponed, which was logic seeing the way the pandemic was. The fact that they postponed was something there, a hope in a better future to come, a connection with being able to travel to London again, and enjoy something Knopfler-related with my usual gang of friends, but now, that's broken  :'(

This affected me more than I thought. I still have hopes that this is not cancellation of the musical but just for the Old Vic, specially to those of you who hadn't attented the musical in Edinburgh. Those of you who did, all of you know how lucky we were to attended it, it was beautiful, it was wonderful... I'm happy about attented at least the Edinburgh representation, but still sad about London ones  :'(

Just forgive this post. I kind of needed to write it...

I asked for a refund just a week ago, before this announcement.   I had just about given up hope of seeing the show in the near future because of covid and The Old Vic had my £130 for two years, which is quite a lot of money.    I received the refund immediately.

My hope is that it will return to Edinburgh in the not so distant future, which I would prefer anyway.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.