Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits and...Drums  (Read 7357 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Dire Straits and...Drums
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »
Some people have really strong opinion here, but music is down to personnal taste, nothing is definite.

My favourite sultans are the one with Chad Cromwell, really clean sound, perfect note at perfectly timed, just what I like.

I also like Terry's kind of energetic playing, he does look busy around the drums and it's what most people like at a concert, including me, music can also be "seen".
From physical appearance to overall feeling about his music, I don't quite like Chris Whitten. He had that "I'm a Professional" look if that means anything.

I totally agree with everything you say. Also I'm glad there is finally someone who appreciates Chad Cromwell's fine drumming. He is my favourite next to Pick Withers whose style still is unique.

I agree with this, Pick then Chad for me. Ianto is also a fine drummer.

I am a Terry Williams fan, but more for the rocky live stuff and rocky recorded stuff with Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds/Rockpile.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 06:45:20 PM »
Some people have really strong opinion here, but music is down to personnal taste, nothing is definite.

My favourite sultans are the one with Chad Cromwell, really clean sound, perfect note at perfectly timed, just what I like.

I also like Terry's kind of energetic playing, he does look busy around the drums and it's what most people like at a concert, including me, music can also be "seen".
From physical appearance to overall feeling about his music, I don't quite like Chris Whitten. He had that "I'm a Professional" look if that means anything.

I totally agree with everything you say. Also I'm glad there is finally someone who appreciates Chad Cromwell's fine drumming. He is my favourite next to Pick Withers whose style still is unique.

I am a Terry Williams fan, but more for the rocky live stuff and rocky recorded stuff with Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds/Rockpile.
What about Danny ? I thought it was widely recognized here that he was the finest drummer for Speedway...

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »
Well... The thread is named "Dire Straits and drums". That's why I did not think about Chad, Danny or Ianto.

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »

What about Danny ? I thought it was widely recognized here that he was the finest drummer for Speedway...

Exactly. I was thinking about Danny too. But I understand that the discussion is only DS
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineSamGolden

• Camerado
    • Dire Straits and Mark KNopfler Artwork
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »
Back on listening to DS concerts, through the bootlegs, I quite like the punch and the finesse of both Terry Williams, from 1982 to 1988, 7 years spent in the group. No doubt for me, humbly.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2021, 09:46:54 AM »
Well... The thread is named "Dire Straits and drums". That's why I did not think about Chad, Danny or Ianto.

LE

I understood the thread (see opening post) as meaning drumming in Dire Straits songs. Also some posts mentionned Chad so I reacted.

If it's about Dire Straits only, it's Pick for me.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 04:02:05 PM »
Danny Cummings played drums as part of Dire Straits during the MK and friends 2002 concerts in Shepherd Bush Empire in London and Beaulieu Palace.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 08:11:30 PM »
Here is some rare solo footage of Terry on drums doing a really long solo in, er, 1991

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 09:46:44 AM »
I have to say, the drumming for Dire Straits or MK solo is not something that has ever bothered me, I don't mind who plays the drums for Mark's songs, but maybe it's just me.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2021, 06:10:37 PM »
I have to say, the drumming for Dire Straits or MK solo is not something that has ever bothered me, I don't mind who plays the drums for Mark's songs, but maybe it's just me.

Agreed, its MK and his guitar I listen to and like you am not fussed who's bashing the skins!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »
The drums are very important. The drums keep the beat, it's what makes a song sound fast, slow...

The difference between let's say Pick and Terry it's so obvious that the last posts seems that forgot that.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 09:52:44 AM »
I know there is a difference, it is just not something that bothers me when I listen to dire straits or Mark solo.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Love Expresso

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »
The drums are very important. The drums keep the beat, it's what makes a song sound fast, slow...

The difference between let's say Pick and Terry it's so obvious that the last posts seems that forgot that.

Fast? Someone should Guy post about that this is possible.

LE

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »
Interesting point of discussion.

As a musician, like many here, in 20 years playing guitar or bass, i tend to affirm that the drummer is the main vehicle for a great band performance.

Dire Straits was one kind of band with Pick and other with Terry. Even the LOG songs (recorded by Pick and played live by Terry) has a different feel.

Funny thing that i like Chris playing during the OES Tour. The whole band was great. There some different approaches, the songs were played in a slower tempo (many of them). But the overall sound was too processed. The band was playing flat.

In my opinion, The DS Concerts always was a 'product'.
The reharsals pushed the band to perfection. But, the concerts was mostly the same (with some few inspired ones). So, the OES tour was not different. Mostly of the concerts had the same feel. The concert was great if Mark was in the mood. And there's nothing wrong about it.

I like Chris perfformances and his touches on some songs, i believe, are still great.

Sorry my poor english.
Cya

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 05:00:37 PM »

Danny is the finest drummer for everything re. Mark's band.  ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 42 queries.