Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22349 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« on: August 19, 2021, 08:53:23 AM »
Discord as big Dire Straits bust-up ends on a sour note

They were giants of rock and one of Princess Diana’s favourite bands, but Dire Straits have hit a discordant note.

I can reveal that the group has been embroiled in an unharmonious bust-up involving their former frontman, Mark Knopfler, who sang about Money For Nothing.

Unbeknown to their fans, he started a legal dispute with his former band mates because he was so angry they were performing as a Dire Straits group.

‘I don’t know why he tried to sue us, but when you are worth that much you just do what you want,’ guitarist Phil Palmer tells me.

Knopfler, 71, who has a reputed fortune of £81million, formed Dire Straits in 1977 with his brother and fellow guitarist David, with John Illsley on bass and David ‘Pick’ Withers on drums. Palmer later joined them on tour.

With various line-ups they went on to enjoy huge worldwide success with hits such as Sultans Of Swing and Romeo And Juliet.

But Knopfler quit in the 1990s and is said to have taken legal action because he didn’t want the newly formed group, Dire Straits Legacy, to continue performing his music. They are due to go on tour next year, with venues including London’s O2 arena.

‘Mark accused us of passing ourselves off as Dire Straits, but we are the real thing, not a tribute band,’ claims Palmer.

‘He tried to stop us performing the songs. We had a bit of a “to do”. We were trying to be respectful.

‘It was John Illsley who actually came up with the band’s name, so it was not even Mark’s invention.

‘I don’t know if we are still mates. Our band is a respectful remodelling and it sounds exactly the same — that’s what people come to see.’

However, I’m told the matter has now been resolved.

‘Mark now gets a proportion of the ticket price as well as his Performing Rights Society percentage, as he wrote all the big hits,’ Palmer explains.

‘We have to be careful in foreign countries, to tell them not to put up huge posters of Mark, which happened to us in Argentina.’
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:55:33 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OnlineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »
Dire Straits = MK. DS without MK can’t be Dire Straits. There is no difference except for marketing and scale. DS and the MK band are vehicles for his songs, it was always his party.

Phil sounds like a fool. He is not the real deal, he was a hired musician for just 1 album/tour. He is a great player, sure, but he’s an idiot for saying they’re the real deal without MK.

Mark has invested the last 25 years to keep the DS story alive, and they all made money out of it without doing anything. Every time he pops up or does anything, DS will be mentioned and remembered, wether he wants it or not. Where are their solo records and songs?

They’re ruining his name. It was always about the music, that’s what is most important, and nobody in the world comes close to MK. People buy a ticket for Phil’s party and they get a half-baked experience and maybe don’t buy the next MK record or ticket.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 10:11:31 AM by TheTimeWasWrong »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »
100% agree with what you have said. MK was quite rightly furious!! Thus ToTT!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »
I assume MK just doesn't want fans to be misled.

If the posters have DIRE STRAITS in huge letters then legacy in a tiny font people could turn up expecting to see him.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 10:20:22 AM »

If the posters have DIRE STRAITS in huge letters then legacy in a tiny font people could turn up expecting to see him.

Think that was exactly the problem in Argentina.....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »
"Our band is a respectful remodelling and it sounds exactly the same — that’s what people come to see."

It can't possibly sound the same with an Italian singer/guitarist!

The threat of a law suit probably resolved the matter and now MK gets a proportion of the ticket price, which is how it ought to have been as he wrote all of the songs.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »
"Our band is a respectful remodelling and it sounds exactly the same — that’s what people come to see."

The threat of a law suit probably resolved the matter and now MK gets a proportion of the ticket price, which is how it ought to have been.

Haha, yes I'm sure MK was not approached BEFORE and so was rightly cheesed off when he found out!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 11:34:50 AM »

How?? :hmm

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »

The threat of a law suit probably resolved the matter and now MK gets a proportion of the ticket price, which is how it ought to have been.

Haha, yes I'm sure MK was not approached BEFORE and so was rightly cheesed off when he found out!!

Wait a minute, so these guys are trying to say that all this time they got ALL the money from ticket sales? That's not just the reason to be cheesed off, that's more like breaking the law to me. I know that this, technically, is not breaking any laws, but it sure feels like it. Even I give the money to Mark I gain from my videos, and I'm only a microscopic YouTuber, because that's his songs, for Mark's sake! And these guys go out and just do it like that? Boy... Glad it got resolved.

hunter

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
Then again: Daily Mail

Trustworthy news?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 12:15:44 PM »

Unfortunately, that's the problem with nearly all the tribute bands... And I don't know how you're going to sell tickets to your band's show as a band that plays someone else's music. Imagine, they would have no indication of a tribute band? Nobody would come to hear them. So it's a balancing act, give a clue it's not their music, but not give the impression it's the real deal. They clearly couldn't find the balance, so Mark offered a helping hand in the form of a law suit :lol

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »

Trustworthy news?

It is 'The Daily Mail' - very true, but it could well be true? :hmm

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 12:19:34 PM »

Unfortunately, that's the problem with nearly all the tribute bands... And I don't know how you're going to sell tickets to your band's show as a band that plays someone else's music. Imagine, they would have no indication of a tribute band? Nobody would come to hear them. So it's a balancing act, give a clue it's not their music, but not give the impression it's the real deal. They clearly couldn't find the balance, so Mark offered a helping hand in the form of a law suit :lol

I haven't seen the Argentina poster in question but I should imagine it must have something like 'DIRE STRAITS' in bold with 'legacy' in tiny writing perhaps?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »

Trustworthy news?

It is 'The Daily Mail' - very true, but it could well be true? :hmm

Looks legit to me. Not the kind of a topic to gain anything from so might as well be legit. The quotes from the band's members are hilarious, tho :lol

hunter

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
If it's true, I honestly think it's a petty thing for Mark to do. I understand why he may feel upset about the whole thing, but it's not like DSL are "stealing" fans from Mark or causing lost album sales, quite the contrary I would guess. As long as they take measures to make sure there are no misunderstandings as to who they are (a tribute band) and pay whatever license fees to perform his songs in public, he should just let it slide. He's in the sunset years of his career, he's wealthy, successful, and there's no chance ever that DS will reunite, so why not be a little generous?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 41 queries.