Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22352 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
Legally, everytime they played DS songs, MK receives money from that concerts because of the copyright of his songs. They have not to share the ticket money with him, as legally, just the copyright is enough.

Another different thing is if they reached an agreement that establish that, but ticket sales are for the performers, and then they have to pay, from that money, the copyright shares that belong to MK, thats the same to every tribute band around the globe.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 12:47:51 PM »
Legally, everytime they played DS songs, MK receives money from that concerts because of the copyright of his songs. They have not to share the ticket money with him, as legally, just the copyright is enough.

Another different thing is if they reached an agreement that establish that, but ticket sales are for the performers, and then they have to pay, from that money, the copyright shares that belong to MK, thats the same to every tribute band around the globe.

That Mark also should claim a percentage of the ticket revenue comes off as greedy. Seriously.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 12:52:11 PM »
Unbeknown to their fans, he started a legal dispute with his former band mates because he was so angry they were performing as a Dire Straits group.

I do not believe. Wouldn't we have known about it sooner? Fans know it all.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:06:33 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »

That Mark also should claim a percentage of the ticket revenue comes off as greedy. Seriously.

I agree he shouldn't had care at all, further than make sure they don't confuse the audience with the name, the announcements etc so everyone sees clearly they are not DS, but another band called DS Legacy with some ex members...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 01:06:38 PM »
Unbeknown to their fans, he started a legal dispute with his former band mates because he was so angry they were performing as a Dire Straits group.

I do not believe. Wouldn't we have known about it sooner? The fans know it all.

I think personally to take the article with a 'pinch of salt' it is the Daily Mail after all....interesting nonetheless!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 01:07:51 PM »

It’s called goodwill and it’s very common in business. They’re using a name that he’s been working on for 40+ years. They’re nothing without the name.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »

It’s called goodwill and it’s very common in business. They’re using a name that he’s been working on for 40+ years. They’re nothing without the name.

Yes, good valid point with regards the DS name....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »

Ah, ok. Makes sense. They would have to use a "version" of Dire Straits to avoid it, then, such as the Pink Floyd tribute band Brit Floyd?

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »

Ah, ok. Makes sense. They would have to use a "version" of Dire Straits to avoid it, then, such as the Pink Floyd tribute band Brit Floyd?

Also similar to another DS tribute band called Dire Traits who I've seen, many moons ago...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 01:22:58 PM »
Interesting news.  I was thinking it should be right that guys such as Phil and Alan Clark should be paying a %age to MK, but then I thought does this mean that every DS tribute band is doing the same?  I can't imagine every tribute band going is paying royalties.  I suppose Legacy is being signed out here due to the use of the DS name but I wonder why they just don't change it:  Dire Traitors Legacy...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:26:38 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
LOL Dire Traits is not a flattering band name.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »
LOL Dire Traits is not a flattering band name.

To be honest they were ok (ish)
https://www.feenstra.co.uk/bands/diretraits/diretraits.htm

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »
Interesting news.  I was thinking it should be right that guys such as Phil and Alan Clark should be paying a %age to MK, but then I thought does this mean that every DS tribute band is doing the same?  I can't imagine every tribute band going is paying royalties.  I suppose Legacy is being signed out here due to the use of the DS name but I wonder why they just don't change it:  Dire Traitors Legacy...

I wonder if it's more the point of his ex band mates carrying on the DS name....

hunter

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »
Since there's also the DS Experience (with Chris White), I'm curious if they too have been threatened with legal action. Geez, this is weird.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
All tribute bands in the world (I know the main guitar player and singer of three Spanish tribute bands of DS) had received legal menaces from MK Management, so it's not something related to DS Legacy, Phil Palmer or Alan Clark, but something related to MK and his management menacing legally all the tribute bands.

The three Spanish bands had reached MK management and all ended with a warning of make it very clear they are not DS but a tribute band, and make sure that the promoters follow that. Economically talking there is no issue as MK receives his share via copyright, the tribute bands have to pay a fee in order to be able to play the show.

I think is rare that DS Legacy is going to share a part of the ticket sales... If that's true, maybe they reached a kind of "friendly" agreement.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 45 queries.