Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22381 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2021, 04:13:02 PM »
Danny was a good 'stop gap' drummer as it were and I admit is masterful on some tracks. But there is a notable difference between Chad & Danny and of course Danny & Ianto. I get the impression that MK became irritated of Danny's frequent Cymbal playing at times! There are some stern looks from MK to Danny during the 'Real Live Roadrunning' film
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2021, 04:14:18 PM »
Danny was a good 'stop gap' drummer as it were and I admit is masterful on some tracks. But there is a notable difference between Chad & Danny and of course Danny & Ianto. I get the impression that MK became irritated of Danny's frequent Cymbal playing at times! There are some stern looks from MK to Danny during the 'Real Live Roadrunning' film

That's true. I remember thinking at one point, that Danny's drumming is "too simple". But in the retrospect, I really miss his drumming! I get that Danny is a percussionist, but I never understood that labeling going on and I think he nailed almost every MK song he played in, I just love his drumming. It was discussed many times before tho.

Anyway, what really surprises me is that John Illsley has something to do with tribute bands, even suggesting names and all, and even Guy Fletcher went to America to collect the (in)famous HoF Award with some of the (in)famous people. Everything is so interconnected that it blows my mind, at least we got something from MK on that topic, but as expected, it's a rather negative experience.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 04:23:43 PM »

That's true. I remember thinking at one point, that Danny's drumming is "too simple". But in the retrospect, I really miss his drumming! I get that Danny is a percussionist, but I never understood that labeling going on and I think he nailed almost every MK song he played in, I just love his drumming. It was discussed many times before tho.

Anyway, what really surprises me is that John Illsley has something to do with tribute bands, even suggesting names and all, and even Guy Fletcher went to America to collect the (in)famous HoF Award with some of the (in)famous people. Everything is so interconnected that it blows my mind, at least we got something from MK on that topic, but as expected, it's a rather negative experience.

John and Guy I guess are respected by MK and I've no doubt whatsoever the feelings are mutual and so they all know the boundaries perhaps? As for Palmer & Co??

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »
If I remember correctly MK sued the woman guilty for his motorbike accident in 2003 (whole tour cancelled)
for 300 thousand pounds, I am sure this legal thing with the DS Legacy is credible

He even cancelled an official live release at the Royal Albert Hall just because RAH fees were too high, Guy Fletcher source,
which is incredible frankly artistically speaking, but I guess he has a strange bond with money
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:50:32 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »
If I remember correctly MK sued the woman guilty for his motorbike accident in 2003 (whole tour cancelled)
for 300 thousand pounds, I am sure this legal thing with the DS Legacy is credible
I don’t remember that.

Possible he claimed for costs from her insurance I guess.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 09:30:45 PM »
I would not take this so called news too seriously. I’d rather assume this just old news blown out of proportion. I believe this situation/issue has already been discussed in Phil Palmer’s book, described in less sensational / radical words.
Mark being furious and suing formerly hired guns... come on, he probably just didn’t want other people to publicly pretend to be dire straits (his band, his songs). Nothing more. There is big gap between not liking something and being furious. It needs no argument that Mark is entitled to have say in such matters and I fully understand he acts likewise. Mark business representatives / legal advisors then just make sure that the management and promoters (who try to cash in on his brand, songs etc.) of those who venture in that direction get informed clearly that are restrictions to all this. That’s probably all.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:48:07 PM by mschaap »

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 10:27:24 PM »

He even cancelled an official live release at the Royal Albert Hall just because RAH fees were too high, Guy Fletcher source,
which is incredible frankly artistically speaking, but I guess he has a strange bond with money

You are right the article is here regarding suing for the 300k https://www.gigwise.com/news/17114/

She was also deported

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »

You are right the article is here regarding suing for the 300k https://www.gigwise.com/news/17114/

She was also deported

:o :o :o

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2021, 11:06:42 PM »

She was also deported

I suppose she won't be sending him postcards from Ecuador.  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 12:07:01 AM »

She was also deported

LOL! As far as I'm concerned, she expressed a kind of ignorant behavior towards MK, he said something like she never even asked him about his health, and couldn't even speak English altogether if I remember correctly. It was too long ago! Anyway, in my mind, she got what she deserved, and deportation certainly wasn't Mark's job. And probably lawsuits, but what do I know... I know only that MK has probably something like 12 lawyers who deal with all these things and he has nothing to do with this woman or DS Legacy or with anything.

I remember that RAH recordings weren't available because of the pricy tag, but I can understand MK in this situation, to be honest. Often, even if you have the money, you just don't spend it on something that's clearly overpriced or doesn't worth it. To think of it, Albert Hall probably asked for such a huge price tag for recordings that even MK's accountants were like "No, thanks".

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2021, 12:07:23 AM »

She was also deported

:lol

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2021, 12:53:43 AM »
It's all mighty strange especially with Danny, sued one minute, in a band with MK next!!

Mark always distinguishes music from the music business. He sues "the businessmen" and plays with the musicians.

Might well explain why Danny was 'dropped' as drummer?!

I think that was just classic "looking forward only" and hiring the more experienced and well-known and versatile drummer for whatever MK wanted to achieve. And in that regard he indeed succeeded!

Yes I suppose so, and Ianto was after all introduced to MK from Nigel Hitchcock....just sounds a bit suss with regards Danny....

Actually Ianto was introduced to MK by Danny, and Ianto introduced MK to Nigel. And Nigel introduced MK to Tom Walsh and Graeme Blevins

Are you sure about this? I heard that MK met Ian Thomas during a session for the Bap Kennedy record in late 2010. What happened later I'm not sure but I think that Glenn Worf was involved too in the drummer switch. Hard for me to believe that Danny, as classy as he is, introduced another drummer to Mark.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:07:40 AM by NicoMK »

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 01:00:15 AM »
It's not really suss with Danny. Ianto is established as one of the top session drummers in the world.

Danny is one of the top percussionists in the world who did a good job as a stand in drummer.

Plus, Danny got the elbow long before the tribute nonsense started (I think).

It was just Suss how he 'disappeared' from being MKs drummer for a while, Ianto appeared and then next thing Danny's back. I did wonder then had he upset MK with the tribute lark...

I don't think it's correlated. Danny is well-beloved amongst fans, and he is the absolute king of SAN, but just listen to the difference between Chad and Danny in 2005 and WII/Sultans, for example, in 2010 and 2013. Danny is very elegant, but I personally prefer the liveliness of Chad and Ianto. I always felt like Mark was bored with Danny's limited drumming technique.

Danny's limited technique, you must be kidding. Sorry but I see zero liveliness in Ian Thomas' playing. He is a good drummer that's for sure. The difference between Danny and any other recent drummer is that Danny played the music with his heart.

Danny owned every song and left space for other instruments and his interactions with both MK and Matt Rollings too (another unfortunate loss...) were remarkable to say the least. A perfect alchemy I should say. Ian Thomas' patterns are far too complicated and his drumming is omnipresent in Mark's music but as long as MK himself is happy with this...

Danny is still the most obvious choice for MK and not only for SAN. He should have never had to leave the band. Shame.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:13:40 AM by NicoMK »

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 01:04:08 AM »
I've never felt that MK was irritated by what you mention above but both Chad Cromwell and Ian Thomas use cymbals much more frequently than Danny...

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 01:10:54 AM »
I remember that RAH recordings weren't available because of the pricy tag

No, it was a different project, a full DVD/Bluray project cancelled because of RAH fees
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.