Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22377 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2021, 01:12:21 AM »
It's not really suss with Danny. Ianto is established as one of the top session drummers in the world.

Danny is one of the top percussionists in the world who did a good job as a stand in drummer.

Plus, Danny got the elbow long before the tribute nonsense started (I think).

It was just Suss how he 'disappeared' from being MKs drummer for a while, Ianto appeared and then next thing Danny's back. I did wonder then had he upset MK with the tribute lark...

I don't think it's correlated. Danny is well-beloved amongst fans, and he is the absolute king of SAN, but just listen to the difference between Chad and Danny in 2005 and WII/Sultans, for example, in 2010 and 2013. Danny is very elegant, but I personally prefer the liveliness of Chad and Ianto. I always felt like Mark was bored with Danny's limited drumming technique.

Danny's limited technique, you must be kidding. Sorry but I see zero liveliness in Ian Thomas' playing. He is a good drummer that's for sure. The difference between Danny and any other recent drummer is that Danny played the music with his heart. He was the most obvious choice for MK and not only for SAN. He should have never had to leave the band. Shame.

I consider Danny the MK of drums, he is the best
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2021, 01:15:14 AM »
It's not really suss with Danny. Ianto is established as one of the top session drummers in the world.

Danny is one of the top percussionists in the world who did a good job as a stand in drummer.

Plus, Danny got the elbow long before the tribute nonsense started (I think).

It was just Suss how he 'disappeared' from being MKs drummer for a while, Ianto appeared and then next thing Danny's back. I did wonder then had he upset MK with the tribute lark...

I don't think it's correlated. Danny is well-beloved amongst fans, and he is the absolute king of SAN, but just listen to the difference between Chad and Danny in 2005 and WII/Sultans, for example, in 2010 and 2013. Danny is very elegant, but I personally prefer the liveliness of Chad and Ianto. I always felt like Mark was bored with Danny's limited drumming technique.

Danny's limited technique, you must be kidding. Sorry but I see zero liveliness in Ian Thomas' playing. He is a good drummer that's for sure. The difference between Danny and any other recent drummer is that Danny played the music with his heart. He was the most obvious choice for MK and not only for SAN. He should have never had to leave the band. Shame.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2021, 01:16:18 AM »

He's the best indeed! The thing I only realized after the switch... Not for MK, apparently. Ian Thomas is like a Michelin Star restaurant equivalent of a drummer.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2021, 07:42:29 AM »

He's the best indeed! The thing I only realized after the switch... Not for MK, apparently. Ian Thomas is like a Michelin Star restaurant equivalent of a drummer.

Along with Chad too!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »
Danny was a good 'stop gap' drummer as it were and I admit is masterful on some tracks. But there is a notable difference between Chad & Danny and of course Danny & Ianto. I get the impression that MK became irritated of Danny's frequent Cymbal playing at times! There are some stern looks from MK to Danny during the 'Real Live Roadrunning' film
I've never felt that MK was irritated by what you mention above but both Chad Cromwell and Ian Thomas use cymbals much more frequently than Danny...

Ah, you need to look closely my friend - there are definite frowns towards Danny at times......

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »
I doubt an illegal immigrant who couldn’t speak English had 300k.

I bet he sued her insurers, and I’m sure he lost a lot more when the tour was cancelled.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2021, 09:42:53 AM »

I bet he sued her insurers, and I’m sure he lost a lot more when the tour was cancelled.

Could an illegal immigrant even get insurance, though? Unless she had false papers.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2021, 09:45:45 AM »

I seems to recall she hadn't insurance either, but I'm not sure...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »

She was here illegally and both unlicenced and uninsured.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
Danny was a good 'stop gap' drummer as it were and I admit is masterful on some tracks. But there is a notable difference between Chad & Danny and of course Danny & Ianto. I get the impression that MK became irritated of Danny's frequent Cymbal playing at times! There are some stern looks from MK to Danny during the 'Real Live Roadrunning' film
I've never felt that MK was irritated by what you mention above but both Chad Cromwell and Ian Thomas use cymbals much more frequently than Danny...

Ah, you need to look closely my friend - there are definite frowns towards Danny at times......
Well I think I know my 2002-2010 years pretty much by heart and I never saw MK frowning towards Danny. Plus, how could you tell for sure as when MK turns to his drummer, you simply can't see his face...

I could find zillions of examples when Danny shines on drums throughout the years but let's consider the only professional DVD that exists, which is from the 2006 tour. The drums are really put in the spotlight (thanks Guy, I think...) and all songs are masterpieces from that perspective: right now, red staggerwing, Romeo and Juliet, I dug up a diamond, This is us, Speedway or So far away (the best I've ever heard). I can hear talent there but I can't hear too many cimbals  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2021, 10:00:04 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/3848151.stm

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »
Didn't realise she got 15 months in prison.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »

how could you tell for sure as when MK turns to his drummer, you simply can't see his face...

What about the views from behind the drum kit when MK looks round towards Danny and there is at one point a stare of sorts..... ::)

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2021, 11:47:22 AM »

how could you tell for sure as when MK turns to his drummer, you simply can't see his face...

What about the views from behind the drum kit when MK looks round towards Danny and there is at one point a stare of sorts..... ::)

If you're talking about the Roadrunning DVD I'll check but I have never ever noticed such things. After all during this very show, he introduces Danny saying "savouring every beat" so... that's what I always do.

Ah well this whole story really pisses me off even 11 years after  :disbelief

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2021, 12:06:15 PM »
Didn't realise she got 15 months in prison.

But it was because a passport fraud, prior to the accident.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.