Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22367 times)

hunter

Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »
If you don't have a strong Spanish/Italian/German accent, it's just not a cover band.  ;D that's the main thing about these people.

LE

;D

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2021, 08:14:00 PM »
Have no-one read Phil Palmers book? It's all there; the lawsuit, that John Illsley suggested the name DS Legacy, and that it was Danny who suggested Ian. They all know each other after many years in the business.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2021, 09:25:01 PM »
If you don't have a strong Spanish/Italian/German accent, it's just not a cover band.  ;D that's the main thing about these people.

LE
Lolz!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »
Have no-one read Phil Palmers book? It's all there; the lawsuit, that John Illsley suggested the name DS Legacy, and that it was Danny who suggested Ian. They all know each other after many years in the business.
I'm entitled to believe this but I'd need excerpts. Why the hell would Danny suggest another drummer? And how could Palmer know this for sure?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »
I'm entitled to believe this but I'd need excerpts. Why the hell would Danny suggest another drummer? And how could Palmer know this for sure?

Danny didn't feel good being a drummer and gave a step aside, suggesting Ian.

Palmer and Cummings played together in multiple projects, not only DS but also about 25 years with George Michael, and many many other projects. They know each for long.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2021, 10:30:20 PM »

Palmer and Cummings played together in multiple projects, not only DS but also about 25 years with George Michael, and many many other projects. They know each for long.

I can't believe Danny not feeling good after being Mark's drummer after what happened during the 2005 tour, after 4 tours and 3 albums. Doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:08:00 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2021, 10:57:49 PM »

I can't believe Danny feeling good after being Mark's drummer after what happened during the 2005 tour, after 4 tours and 3 albums. Doesn't make sense.

Guy said that was the reason why Danny left in his forum many years ago, as was questioned about it.

I guess Danny wanted to be a percussionist which is what he does best.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2021, 11:05:05 PM »
Guy said that was the reason why Danny left in his forum many years ago, as was questioned about it.

I think Danny is an extremely modest and intelligent gentleman, he knew he was replacing a long-time drummer and did so in a hurry, and I don't think he even thought that lineup change would last for so long. And I think he knew he's gonna be replaced anyway, so he suggested the best alternative that there is. I can't see too much drama here. Though I must admit it again, I love his drumming soooooo much and miss it as much. I think Mark certainly went here fame/status/reputation way over music. As much as Ian is a legendary musician, it doesn't mean Mark's music would benefit from it like they think it should.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2021, 11:07:24 PM »

I can't believe Danny feeling good after being Mark's drummer after what happened during the 2005 tour, after 4 tours and 3 albums. Doesn't make sense.

When you've been the drummer of one the best guitarists on the planet for 5 years, you can't pretend not being a world class drummer, so I can't believe this theory unless Danny himself proves me wrong.

Plus, as a professional musician himself, what would be his interest in telling Mark: hey Mark, I don't want to be your drummer but I found someone who could do the job instead of me.

I think the truth is somewhere else and is much more simple: it was Mark's decision, as good as it gets.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:09:45 PM by NicoMK »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2021, 11:10:06 PM »

And an exceptional percussionist he is!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2021, 08:34:44 AM »
I always thought (because I read it somewhere) that Glen Worf was not happy with Danny as part of the "rhythm section" so he suggested Ianto. Danny probably agreed and confirmed it.

On the albums I think Ianto sounds very well and probably because of his ego the drums are more prominent in the recording since he is on board. Live I think his ego sometimes is in his way, he wants to shine all the time and does not perfectly well works that "the song is king" premise.

I can't judge who is the better drummer. But I can say for sure that Danny fitted far better and it seemed he was spiritually and musically exactly on the same level or at the same sphere as Mark. He seemed to dig Mark's ideas 100 %. Ianto often sounds like a session drummer who knows it all but with not too much feel.

LE

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2021, 08:56:05 AM »
I always thought (because I read it somewhere) that Glen Worf was not happy with Danny as part of the "rhythm section" so he suggested Ianto. Danny probably agreed and confirmed it.

On the albums I think Ianto sounds very well and probably because of his ego the drums are more prominent in the recording since he is on board. Live I think his ego sometimes is in his way, he wants to shine all the time and does not perfectly well works that "the song is king" premise.

I can't judge who is the better drummer. But I can say for sure that Danny fitted far better and it seemed he was spiritually and musically exactly on the same level or at the same sphere as Mark. He seemed to dig Mark's ideas 100 %. Ianto often sounds like a session drummer who knows it all but with not too much feel.

LE

You've as always described my thoughts better than I could do it myself :clap

I think the most amusing part is since MK already changed drummers, he can't just bring Danny back, even if he likes his drumming more because that would look somewhat stupid, so he sticks to Ian. Maybe he will change him later down the road, provided he'll tour anyway, but of course, having such a professional drummer is not something MK would want to change in my opinion. He has the band that's 1000 times overqualified for the music they need to play anyway :lol :lol :lol

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »

LE
That's it exactly, thanks!  :clap

As for the Glenn Worf story, I read it too but I couldn't confirm though. Shame if true.  :thumbsdown

Love Expresso

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2021, 10:37:26 AM »
I think we are more driven by sympathy about certain members, but those guys are professional Musicians at work. The 96ers had their very unique and original manifestation only in 1996, from them on it was just the core of Guy, Richard and Glen. Jim Cox had to pause because of health problems, so it's just a coming and going anyway. Danny came in for Chad and stayed, Mike came in mid tour 2010 and was obviously not thought of as future band member. I think the personal level is more important to Mark than the musical one. They all are great at what they do. The background, the stories, the history, that might be pinnacle for Mark. I loved the fact that Mike found so much about his father in Mighty Man. It seemed Mark developed the song with that in mind almost as a gift to Mike and I am sure that was the reason the song made it onto the set list. What I try to say is that the personal chemistry in a band is obviously a very important thing not to be underestimated. All those long tours during the last 20 years must have formed a very special bonding between these guys. The fact that Danny was part of the last album is an example for that I guess.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
I think we are more driven by sympathy about certain members, but those guys are professional Musicians at work. The 96ers had their very unique and original manifestation only in 1996, from them on it was just the core of Guy, Richard and Glen. Jim Cox had to pause because of health problems, so it's just a coming and going anyway. Danny came in for Chad and stayed, Mike came in mid tour 2010 and was obviously not thought of as future band member. I think the personal level is more important to Mark than the musical one. They all are great at what they do. The background, the stories, the history, that might be pinnacle for Mark. I loved the fact that Mike found so much about his father in Mighty Man. It seemed Mark developed the song with that in mind almost as a gift to Mike and I am sure that was the reason the song made it onto the set list. What I try to say is that the personal chemistry in a band is obviously a very important thing not to be underestimated. All those long tours during the last 20 years must have formed a very special bonding between these guys. The fact that Danny was part of the last album is an example for that I guess.

LE

Don't forget John McCusker!  He's been there since 2008. ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 43 queries.