Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22613 times)

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2021, 12:33:13 PM »
Okay a quick internet search shows no George Michael tour in 2005 but only some Live 8 gigs. So it seems there was not such a big problem to George and Phil was not very reliable.

LE

Don't have the book right now to check, I see George Michael had a 2006-2008 tour, so maybe Danny was to be in that tour but had to say no in order to be with MK, and that's what Palmer doesn't remember correctly? Dunno, but it's written in his book that Danny left the George Michael band for a tour to be with MK...
So maybe he was referring to the 2006 MK tour with Emmy... but Danny being Mark's drummer for one year already at the time left George Michael enough time to find a suitable replacement. But Danny definitely toured with GM in 2008, so before or after the tour with MK the same year.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:41:45 PM by NicoMK »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2021, 03:02:38 PM »
Okay a quick internet search shows no George Michael tour in 2005 but only some Live 8 gigs. So it seems there was not such a big problem to George and Phil was not very reliable.

LE

Don't have the book right now to check, I see George Michael had a 2006-2008 tour, so maybe Danny was to be in that tour but had to say no in order to be with MK, and that's what Palmer doesn't remember correctly? Dunno, but it's written in his book that Danny left the George Michael band for a tour to be with MK...
So maybe he was referring to the 2006 MK tour with Emmy... but Danny being Mark's drummer for one year already at the time left George Michael enough time to find a suitable replacement. But Danny definitely toured with GM in 2008, so before or after the tour with MK the same year.

As great as Phil can be is as a musician, this whole "3 chord trick" situation he got himself into and some of his friends don't make anything that he or they says legit to me. If they think that their band sounds exactly the same as Dire Straits, then they might as well say that the Earth is flat or something along those lines. I have absolutely no trust in anything Legacy-related, if you can't already tell.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2021, 04:40:35 PM »

LE

As great as Phil can be is as a musician, this whole "3 chord trick" situation he got himself into and some of his friends don't make anything that he or they says legit to me. If they think that their band sounds exactly the same as Dire Straits, then they might as well say that the Earth is flat or something along those lines. I have absolutely no trust in anything Legacy-related, if you can't already tell.

100% with you on the Legacy rubbish!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
I don't see what the problem is, Mark is seeing his band being misrepresented, they might not be recording or touring anymore as Dire Straits, but they are still a legal entity, the group has a website, which also sells official merchandise, and they selling albums under the name still, so why would he want that name tarnished? We don't know if there are any plans in the future for Dire Straits, so Mark is well within his rights to do what he feels is correct with regards to the brand name. If I was in his position I would do the same. Don't forget Paul McCartney rebought the publishing rights to The Beatles songs from Michael Jackson so he could control what happened to his songs, it wasn't just a financial thing for him.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2021, 03:48:00 PM »
I don't see what the problem is, Mark is seeing his band being misrepresented, they might not be recording or touring anymore as Dire Straits, but they are still a legal entity, the group has a website, which also sells official merchandise, and they selling albums under the name still, so why would he want that name tarnished? We don't know if there are any plans in the future for Dire Straits, so Mark is well within his rights to do what he feels is correct with regards to the brand name. If I was in his position I would do the same. Don't forget Paul McCartney rebought the publishing rights to The Beatles songs from Michael Jackson so he could control what happened to his songs, it wasn't just a financial thing for him.

Well said!!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »
The George Michael tour Phil Palmer talks in his book when mentioning Danny leaving to join MK was the "25 live", he mentions 2005 and 2006 in the paged. I took a picture of the page where Phil mentions about Danny leaving George Michael tour to joins MK one.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
Thanks for this jbaent. However, the sentence "Danny started the 25 Live concerts but was scheduled to join Mark Knopfler on tour" means that Mark's tour was most probably scheduled before George Michael's. Considering the dates, we're probably talking about the tour with Emmy here. Once again, I don't see Danny starting a tour with one and let the other one down. Plus, Phil Palmer mentions no issue about it so all must have been well scheduled before everything starts.

I don't know how long GM's tour lasted - Palmer says 106 shows - but I'm pretty certain that Danny rejoined his band as a percussionist in 2008. It means that our man had a pretty tough schedule between 2005 and 2008 with two huge names in the business (and probably other things too). Let's see :

- the Shangri-la Tour in 2005
- the Emmy-MK Tour in 2006
- the recording of the KTGC record in 2007 + various promos
- the MK tour in 2008
- and the GM tour in 2008 also.

And Phil Palmer is another one to say that it's great to have Danny around :)

Well done Dan!  :thumbsup

EDIT : a quick search on the web and here you have all the dates of the 25 Live Tour, from 2006 to 2008 and nothing in 2005 :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_Live#Tour_dates

EDIT 2 : and you can see Danny here, in summer 2008 :

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 05:34:26 PM by NicoMK »

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2021, 06:06:59 PM »
Thanks for this jbaent. However, the sentence "Danny started the 25 Live concerts but was scheduled to join Mark Knopfler on tour" means that Mark's tour was most probably scheduled before George Michael's. Considering the dates, we're probably talking about the tour with Emmy here. Once again, I don't see Danny starting a tour with one and let the other one down. Plus, Phil Palmer mentions no issue about it so all must have been well scheduled before everything starts.

I don't know how long GM's tour lasted - Palmer says 106 shows - but I'm pretty certain that Danny rejoined his band as a percussionist in 2008. It means that our man had a pretty tough schedule between 2005 and 2008 with two huge names in the business (and probably other things too). Let's see :

- the Shangri-la Tour in 2005
- the Emmy-MK Tour in 2006
- the recording of the KTGC record in 2007 + various promos
- the MK tour in 2008
- and the GM tour in 2008 also.

And Phil Palmer is another one to say that it's great to have Danny around :)

Well done Dan!  :thumbsup

EDIT : a quick search on the web and here you have all the dates of the 25 Live Tour, from 2006 to 2008 and nothing in 2005 :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_Live#Tour_dates

EDIT 2 : and you can see Danny here, in summer 2008 :

Oh, Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so! to quote a very famous song....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »
The George Michael tour Phil Palmer talks in his book when mentioning Danny leaving to join MK was the "25 live", he mentions 2005 and 2006 in the paged. I took a picture of the page where Phil mentions about Danny leaving George Michael tour to joins MK one.

Lols, I wonder who guitarist two was.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »

Graham Kearns and Mike Brown if it helps ;)

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2021, 03:25:02 PM »
Thanks for info.

I dont care how musically different MK and GM is (was), I would have loved GM to sing one of MK´s songs. Such a brilliant and superb  voice, one of the best ever.   

Cheers Peter

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »

Graham Kearns and Mike Brown if it helps ;)

Someone called Brown played guitar for MK in the band that recorded the Golden demos, I wonder if he's the same.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2021, 10:15:44 PM »
I don’t know about Argentina but when they came to Brazil they were referred as Dire Straits with a new lineup. It was all over the press. They even gave TV interviews introducing Marco as ‘the new DS singer’. I’m sure there are still lots of people out there who truly believe that have been to a Dire Straits concert.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2021, 10:25:40 PM »
I don’t know about Argentina but when they came to Brazil they were referred as Dire Straits with a new lineup. It was all over the press. They even gave TV interviews introducing Marco as ‘the new DS singer’. I’m sure there are still lots of people out there who truly believe that have been to a Dire Straits concert.

YES. And that happens a lot specifically in non-English speaking countries and especially second and third world countries... Like their promoters just exploit people's ignorance, and I often heard from Russian people that new DS formation is useless without MK and things like that. Of course, things like that would piss off anyone and it's not a surprise to me that legal actions have been introduced to settle this situation.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2021, 11:44:34 PM »

:disbelief

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 37 queries.