Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22365 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2021, 09:38:41 PM »

Quite an impressive list!

Personally I have never really cared for tribute bands and as good as they may be I will always stick with the original.
Mark Knopfler is a class of his own, a unique person and his style is inimitable. Why bother with a tribute band. Nobody will ever fill his shoes!

I agree... Mark's music and especially his personality is impossible to recreate, so why bother. However, his songs are amazing and that's certainly something that absolutely can be replicated. I think Mark's music is generally underrated and not so many people outside cover bands play his songs. And the most fun you get is when an artist covers Mark's song that is diametrically opposite to his style, like "Brothers In Arms" by Gregorian. That cover is a masterpiece on its own!

So yeah, I can't see the point of replicating Mark, but his songs must be played in some shape or form. I just wish it was less tribute-ish.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »

Personally I have never really cared for tribute bands and as good as they may be I will always stick with the original.
Mark Knopfler is a class of his own, a unique person and his style is inimitable. Why bother with a tribute band. Nobody will ever fill his shoes!

I agree... Mark's music and especially his personality is impossible to recreate, so why bother. However, his songs are amazing and that's certainly something that absolutely can be replicated. I think Mark's music is generally underrated and not so many people outside cover bands play his songs. And the most fun you get is when an artist covers Mark's song that is diametrically opposite to his style, like "Brothers In Arms" by Gregorian. That cover is a masterpiece on its own!

So yeah, I can't see the point of replicating Mark, but his songs must be played in some shape or form. I just wish it was less tribute-ish.

And I agree with that :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2021, 10:52:02 PM »
Is it wrong to call themselves Dire Straits, yes of course.

As I recall Alan Clark and other previous DS members were given the rights from Mr. MK himself, to perform songs in future from albums that they were contributing to.
So why hate them. They have the right to do that and if people have fun remembering the DS sound (or partly how it sounded) and find it interesting so join the concerts so what. Maybe because not all of them have rights, MK even got some pieces of the cake from sales etc.

Our hero himself has also played private concerts when the money was big enough remember ?
He performed with a setlist, that on this forum, was widely considered only to happen because someone was rich enough to order it. So take it easy ;)  on the DSL or whatever they call them selvselves.
As someone said even John Illsleyt joined them at some point.

Is it wrong to perform concerts with songs that as far as I know
Cheers Peter

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2021, 11:05:15 PM »

And I agree with that :)

I also agree with you.
A cover song can sound very exciting if the artist gives the song his own signature. Mark's fantastic version of Paul Simon's "The Boxer" just comes to my mind.
But these tribute bands who want to sound as close to the original as possible seems weird to me. Just my opinion.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
Is he not a wealthy guy who basically paid to set up these things?

Oh, wow... Anything could happen, I know that money certainly could give you that opportunity, but where did he get the money if he's in the Tribute business from 1988 according to his autobiography? And I just realized they have Trevor Horn in the band! Isn't he's a music legend? What he forgot in the tribute band, for Mark's sake? It's like Mark would go on tour with a Bob Dylan cover band or something.

The Trevor Horn thing is indeed strange. They even play a Yes song I think?!

I know he is mates with Alan Clark.

I guess these guys just don't have the wealth we assume they do... I'm not sure how many royalties will come in for Trevor from 80s records these days.

Same with Steve Ferrone, you would assume he would be in demand doing sessions.

Or maybe they all just love playing live.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
If you don't have a strong Spanish/Italian/German accent, it's just not a cover band.  ;D that's the main thing about these people.

LE
lol!!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2021, 11:55:49 AM »

Oh, wow... Anything could happen, I know that money certainly could give you that opportunity, but where did he get the money if he's in the Tribute business from 1988 according to his autobiography?

Cosa nostra?  :P

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »

Oh, wow... Anything could happen, I know that money certainly could give you that opportunity, but where did he get the money if he's in the Tribute business from 1988 according to his autobiography? And I just realized they have Trevor Horn in the band! Isn't he's a music legend? What he forgot in the tribute band, for Mark's sake? It's like Mark would go on tour with a Bob Dylan cover band or something.

I guess these guys just don't have the wealth we assume they do... I'm not sure how many royalties will come in for Trevor from 80s records these days.

Yes, Trevorn Horn works frequently with Phil and Alan.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:26:41 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
From what Marco tells, it all started from Marco and Phil Palmer playing tennis in the same club in Rome
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2021, 02:46:01 PM »

I said it before and I'll say it again, all your favorite musicians are not as wealthy as we imagine it, even big ones. They are certainly wealthy but not on a billionaire level, and some of them must continue working to pay the bills. And they've usually got very big bills to pay. Especially Mark, having his big studio in the digital era. Rarely you'll hear this coming from an artist but Sir Van Morrison once said that he still needs to tour to make money and pay the bills.

Not the greatest version of this song though and Marco looks like he's in love with himself if you know what I mean. Anyway, so strange to see all these people doing, well, this. If I were a professional session musician, I would do anything but this. Play on weddings, play for the old artist, local artist, but not going into the cover band territory. This is not the place for people like that. This is the place for amateurs!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »
I know of one musician, one of the most famous of all time, who is completely, 100% flat broke despite being a draw for over 50 years.

Lots of ex wives, stupid money management, combined with the fact that they didn't write their own songs.

They are now to old/sick to tour.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »

I said it before and I'll say it again, all your favorite musicians are not as wealthy as we imagine it, even big ones. They are certainly wealthy but not on a billionaire level, and some of them must continue working to pay the bills. And they've usually got very big bills to pay. Especially Mark, having his big studio in the digital era. Rarely you'll hear this coming from an artist but Sir Van Morrison once said that he still needs to tour to make money and pay the bills.

Not the greatest version of this song though and Marco looks like he's in love with himself if you know what I mean. Anyway, so strange to see all these people doing, well, this. If I were a professional session musician, I would do anything but this. Play on weddings, play for the old artist, local artist, but not going into the cover band territory. This is not the place for people like that. This is the place for amateurs!

Work is work, money is money.

They don't do just that, they play still many sessions, less than in the 80's and the 90's, but any gig is a good gig to combine with the sessions they can get in these times when people record in his own house with a computer.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2021, 08:46:56 PM »
I find it hard to believe MK is not absolutely loaded. After all, unlike many other bands, he is listed as the sole songwriter for the whole of the Dire Straits catalogue with the only shared credit on MFN, not to mention his publishing deals.  Bob Marley on the other hand credited songs to other people even when he wrote them, Vincent Ford for example being listed on No Woman No Cry.

So in some sense it is only natural that the players from DS need to make an income from playing the songs they were involved in to varying degrees.  Fair enough I say, on the basis fan's are not being tricked into thinking they are getting the whole package, of which MK can only provide.   

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2021, 08:55:24 PM »
I find it hard to believe MK is not absolutely loaded. After all, unlike many other bands, he is listed as the sole songwriter for the whole of the Dire Straits catalogue with the only shared credit on MFN, not to mention his publishing deals.  Bob Marley on the other hand credited songs to other people even when he wrote them, Vincent Ford for example being listed on No Woman No Cry.

So in some sense it is only natural that the players from DS need to make an income from playing the songs they were involved in to varying degrees.  Fair enough I say, on the basis fan's are not being tricked into thinking they are getting the whole package, of which MK can only provide.

MK is fine, I can guarantee you :lol

All other musicians though... This is sad really. For this reason, I never wanted to become a session musician, because it's basically hell and you justify it because "I do what I love". Yes, you do what you love, but you need to work 24/7 and play on weddings and in tribute bands or on 1000 albums a year or 350 shows a year to sustain your life. I don't want that!

The music business is a very strange place in that regard, and watching and being in contact with so many session musicians and how they're basically suffering, for the most part, makes me never ever want to become a musician. It's great if you're somebody like Mark Knopfler, but everything else... Nah.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2021, 10:07:38 AM »

MK is absolutely loaded thats for sure. Unless he had made some extremely bad financial decisions.
He was a superstar when musicians made a ton of money with CD sales.
BIA was the first really big CD seller, and MK and his management took the chance and thought the CD was going to be a smash hit which it was for some years.
He is also a producer and writes all the songs, so you can be sure that he is a multi millionaire.

I once read he was considered one of Britains richest musicians, and that says a lot I think. When you think of McCartney, George Michael, Elton John, Mick Jagger etc.

Funny enough he is not on this list.
 https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/sir-paul-mccartney-tops-sunday-times-2021-music-rich-list-as-calvin-harris-and-ed-sheeran-vault-into-top-10__33205/

Apparantly Sting is richer, which I find quite odd, I do not think the list is completely correct.

According to this list MK is number 38.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/music/40-richest-musicians-britain-topped-22017265

Cheers Peter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 37 queries.