Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22346 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:49 AM »
Let's be honest, Mark has no worries in the money department!!! But, I don't begrudge him a penny of it, he has worked hard for it, both in terms of writing and performing, plus he didn't release his first album until he was 27 and he had plenty of "normal" jobs until then, and did the rounds of playing in pubs etc. It says a lot about his pre-fame situation that he started a band called Dire Straits.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »
Let's be honest, Mark has no worries in the money department!!! But, I don't begrudge him a penny of it, he has worked hard for it, both in terms of writing and performing, plus he didn't release his first album until he was 27 and he had plenty of "normal" jobs until then, and did the rounds of playing in pubs etc. It says a lot about his pre-fame situation that he started a band called Dire Straits.

I couldn't agree more!  :thumbsup
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2021, 10:34:39 AM »

I couldn't agree more!  :thumbsup

The most important thing about Mark is that this guy would succeed no matter what. Even if not for the music, he would be a successful man. I don't know how it works, but probably has something to do with attitude, courage, and intelligence. So I'm sure he would be as comfortable as today, he was able to learn and decided to do what he can do best and went with it. And I want an MK autobiography just to get a glimpse into the mind of a guy who really knows the key to success.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
Mark has always wanted to write songs and this is his destiny. And it makes him happy
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2021, 01:42:06 PM »
Mark has always wanted to write songs and this is his destiny. And it makes him happy

There are no such things as talent, destiny, luck, or anything in between. If that were true he would be a songwriter 10 years earlier. Where are all these early songs (except for One More Matinee)? The coolest part about Mark, I think, is that he wasn't sure what he wanted to be. He always says he wanted to be a musician, tell this story about a Christmas gig. But he sort of failed to become a musician (in a good way), and only then wanted to become a songwriter. So the most important thing about it all is that he preferred songwriting as his "main talent" and pursued that path, and became a master songwriter. It's a lot of work and a lot of psychological work, too. Songwriting is incredibly hard and everybody who tried that knows how difficult it is to write songs.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2021, 02:06:44 PM »
"There are no such things as talent, destiny, luck, or anything in between...

Really?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »

There are no such things as talent, destiny, luck, or anything in between. If that were true he would be a songwriter 10 years earlier. Where are all these early songs (except for One More Matinee)? The coolest part about Mark, I think, is that he wasn't sure what he wanted to be. He always says he wanted to be a musician, tell this story about a Christmas gig. But he sort of failed to become a musician (in a good way), and only then wanted to become a songwriter. So the most important thing about it all is that he preferred songwriting as his "main talent" and pursued that path, and became a master songwriter. It's a lot of work and a lot of psychological work, too. Songwriting is incredibly hard and everybody who tried that knows how difficult it is to write songs.

Of course there is a thing called talent. Regardless of music, arts, IT, sports or whatever. You can have a special talent that you are born with, a specific set of strings in your genes you can play better than the majority so to speak. You can call it talent. Something that is natural for you, and that you are excellent in doing.
If you play the guitar and you are naturally good at it, you have a talent for doing that. For me martial arts felt natural, for others it can be anything.
MK also said several times that the piano sounds he heard as a child felt so natural and logical to him. That is talent in my ears.
Then you can work with your talent, and get even better and maybe even quite unique.

Cheers Peter

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2021, 02:33:41 PM »
There is talent and of course there is luck. I have read about some incredible life stories that would've never happened if the person hadn't been at the right place, at the right time. It's quite unbelievable how someone's life changes dramatically by pure accident. I think you can call it luck (or lack thereof).

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2021, 02:53:49 PM »
There is talent and of course there is luck. I have read about some incredible life stories that would've never happened if the person hadn't been at the right place, at the right time. It's quite unbelievable how someone's life changes dramatically by pure accident. I think you can call it luck (or lack thereof).

Well, yes, Mark certainly "got lucky" there. But you can't really choose where to be born and when, so is it really "luck"? I think not. He was born in an ordinary family, not a wealthy family, no celebrities, no millionaires, even serious musicians, no nothing. So that's lucky? Millions of people are born in that exact configuration, and I can't see millions of Mark Knopflers walking on the planet.

Of course, there's a natural talent, but also hard work. A lot of creative people said that there's no talent, inspiration, and luck in the sense that if you ignore it, it's gone. Talent without hard work is nothing, zero, waste. Same with luck, as they say, the more I work, the luckier I get. So that's why I say there's no talent, luck, or destiny. There's only hard work!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2021, 03:02:47 PM »
These newspaper rich lists are 100% made up.

I imagine MK spent a lot of his wealth building BG.

His ex wife would have got half of the big 80s money.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2021, 05:37:31 PM »

Good, valid point....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »

I agree with you!
And don't forget that you have to be slightly obsessed to do this. Even Mark had said this many times.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2021, 11:19:06 PM »
These newspaper rich lists are 100% made up.

I imagine MK spent a lot of his wealth building BG.

"Hey MK...where was your watertight pre-nup when you needed it!!??"... ;D ::)
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »
Virtual proof Mark is loaded is the very existence of this topic. Just imagine how much money he’d make if he decided to reform Dire Straits. The fact that a mediocre Italian singer is making good money out of a tribute band whereas the man himself couldn’t be bothered says tons on the subject.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2021, 01:43:12 PM »

I think in some cases luck plays a smaller role in the equation Mark’s being one of those. The guy has just too much talent. On the top of that he’s always been a hard worker. Sting and Clapton are the same.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 37 queries.