Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Boothbay concert 15 years ago  (Read 9082 times)

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
Re: Boothbay concert 15 years ago
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »
Quite a bizarre show for him in all honesty.  Personally I've never been a fan of these minimalistic shows he does but they are interesting.

Would you regard NHB concerts as bizarre?    I just wonder, because to me they are in a similar vein - a very relaxed MK with jokes thrown in and the audience having a great time.    Great music too!   :)

Just bizarre in the sense that he flew across the Atlantic to perform a single show with no drummer with some of his songs for the very first time.  I think the Hillbillies were very different.  :)

Yes and no. All the musicians except from Guy were American so I think it made the whole thing pretty much easy to organize. Plus, they had already played live or recorded all the songs of that night, which means very few rehearsals if some. As for no drummer, I don't know. Maybe Danny wasn't available or maybe Mark wanted to try something with no drummer…

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2021, 05:04:35 PM »
Quite a bizarre show for him in all honesty.  Personally I've never been a fan of these minimalistic shows he does but they are interesting.

Would you regard NHB concerts as bizarre?    I just wonder, because to me they are in a similar vein - a very relaxed MK with jokes thrown in and the audience having a great time.    Great music too!   :)

Just bizarre in the sense that he flew across the Atlantic to perform a single show with no drummer with some of his songs for the very first time.  I think the Hillbillies were very different.  :)

I was always under the impression that he did the concert at the request of Richard Ford, a close friend of MK, for charity - the renovation of the Opera House.   :-\ 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2021, 05:06:07 PM »

I was always under the impression that he did the concert at the request of Richard Ford, a close friend of MK, for charity - the renovation of the Opera House.   :-\

You might be right there for once Val.  Rings a bell.  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2021, 06:48:22 PM »
Beautiful and unique concert. The biggest surprises: Whoop de doo, A place where we used to live.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2021, 08:07:43 AM »
Beautiful and unique concert. The biggest surprises: Whoop de doo, A place where we used to live.

And don't forget 'Devil Baby' & 'Baloney Again'......
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2021, 01:37:22 PM »
That's true. But these two songs at the concert for the first and last time:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
That's true. But these two songs at the concert for the first and last time:)

Very true....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2021, 02:14:18 PM »

Whoops a Poo: that would be a bigger surprise! :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »

Whoops a Poo: that would be a bigger surprise! :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :smack

OfflineElliott Hodges

• Guitar George
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2021, 11:17:24 PM »
Rewatched it as I was doing work tonight. It's great.

I think it's particularly nice to hear Richard's electric guitar parts a bit more clearly. Sometimes he gets hidden behind other sounds I think. The version of DWB is really great-it just shows how important the bouzouki part is.

Couple of interesting choices not to include Guy though. No organ parts in PfP or DG. He's played organ in both in some of the smaller gigs before.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »

I think it's particularly nice to hear Richard's electric guitar parts a bit more clearly. Sometimes he gets hidden behind other sounds I think. The version of DWB is really great-it just shows how important the bouzouki part is.

Couple of interesting choices not to include Guy though. No organ parts in PfP or DG. He's played organ in both in some of the smaller gigs before.

Welcome Elliott, great first post! I agree with you it was brilliant to hear Richard accompany MK perhaps like you say a bit clearer than we are all used to as he is often 'lost' in the mix at a concert! Love his style of playing....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 11:10:41 AM »
It's always great to see MK performing in such a different environment. I saw him in the Chalke Valley History Festival (the mud festival) and it was such a great experience, specially since he played "Occupation Blues" for the first and last time live, such a great surprise!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2021, 11:12:56 AM »

Welcome Elliott, great first post! I agree with you it was brilliant to hear Richard accompany MK perhaps like you say a bit clearer than we are all used to as he is often 'lost' in the mix at a concert! Love his style of playing....

Richard's professionalism sometimes frightens me. Prob the best session guitar player on the whole planet, a true Nashville cat. Tho, with that said, he's certainly overkilling it for Mark's music, you don't need 10000 albums and 50 years of recording veteran to strum a couple of chords :lol

And I think having Richard in the band could make an impression that the rhythm in Mark's songs is impossibly hard to play, tho it's not that hard.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »
It's always great to see MK performing in such a different environment. I saw him in the Chalke Valley History Festival (the mud festival) and it was such a great experience, specially since he played "Occupation Blues" for the first and last time live, such a great surprise!

Yes, "Occupation Blues" was a surprise. From all the songs he could've played, nobody could expect that one!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »

Yes, "Occupation Blues" was a surprise. From all the songs he could've played, nobody could expect that one!

It was completely unreal to say the least when he started talking about OB and then played it for us! Last song on my mind that I thought he'd play to be honest - but with MK you have to expect surprises - sometimes!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 36 queries.