Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite concert of the DTRW tour??  (Read 12614 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Favourite concert of the DTRW tour??
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 08:01:30 AM »
great hearing peoples views on the tour and favourite bits of the tour like alot of people r&j is my pee break and one of my least favourite knopfler songs along with walk of life , so just switch off

from these discussions ive purchased Woodinville 2nd night, agree with val love listening to manchester 2010 concert think it is a stong one wasnt lucky enough tobe at that one

shame the band dropped silvertown blues for on every street through the tour , would of been great to of kept it going throughout the tour

highlights for me song wise and arrangements for DTRW tour were....

WAM with horns thought was brillant
sailing to Sailing-Philadelphia thought was great with sax , guitar and flute at the end
once upon a time in the west superb arrangement great to hear again
matchstick man awesome arrangement
postcards got a great kick with horn section , getting latin salsa kind of vibe (best version of song ive heard through out the tours )
silvertown blues just great to hear
heart full of holes very beautiful song ( a bit like mighty man in 2015 tour
speedway i did love with horns at the end
money for nothing thought was superb
brothers great to hear flute intro again

only buts,
 Knopflers health which made me abit upset seeing him look alot older and slower playing then previous tours, and realising he's getting on ,  imagine this band 10- 15 years ago ,
Romeo and juilet lol ha ha

Highly agree with the above apart from the blooming Horns - grrrrrrrrr ;)
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
I only see one show per tour and my venue is the RAH. I saw the second night so thrilled to see that comes up as a favourite. I also remember reading on the thread for that show that many thought it was a good show.

As far as mistakes go, I reckon there’s different levels of mistakes.
-mistakes that everyone hears (MK starts the song in a different key etc-there’s some interesting vids of McCartney doing that).
-mistakes that serious MK fans (us) and probably experienced, trained musicians.
-mistakes that only the band hear. I remember Guy saying that they became better as musicians when they stopped trying to do perfect shows.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 10:17:00 AM »
I agree with Guy, I play guitar, but frankly, I couldn't care less about mistakes, if people are focusing on those type of things, then they can't be enjoying the show, what does it matter about a few mistakes in a 2 hour show? every musician makes mistakes playing live, we are all human, even when Mark was on fire in the 80's, he made mistakes, it really doesn't matter.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 10:19:04 AM »
Mistakes maybe but at least they are actually playing live, not every act is.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »

As a Guitar player also, mistakes/greenies come and go but never bother me personally, its shows the person is human and as MK has shown it takes skill to recover from a mistake.........Like qjamesfloyd has said mistakes come and go but why focus on them?

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 12:09:43 PM »

Very, Very true words indeed! :clap

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »

As a Guitar player also, mistakes/greenies come and go but never bother me personally, its shows the person is human and as MK has shown it takes skill to recover from a mistake.........Like qjamesfloyd has said mistakes come and go but why focus on them?

Exactly. Plus mistakes make shows interesting for the band and for obsessed fan. Like Mark said in 2010 “sometimes my elbow hits my chair and it makes me play something different.”
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 02:36:48 PM by MagicElliott »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 12:34:02 PM »

Exactly. Plus mistakes make shied interesting for the band and for obsessed fan. Like Mark said in 2010 “sometimes my elbow hits my chair and it makes me play something different.”

I love that MK quote!!!

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 01:21:23 PM »
I agree with Guy, I play guitar, but frankly, I couldn't care less about mistakes, if people are focusing on those type of things, then they can't be enjoying the show, what does it matter about a few mistakes in a 2 hour show? every musician makes mistakes playing live, we are all human, even when Mark was on fire in the 80's, he made mistakes, it really doesn't matter.

In the great scheme of things at the moment, no.  However it can be really annoying and spoil what would otherwise be my favourite or good version of a song and that I would otherwise enjoy listening to.  I don't often listen back to songs with noticeable mistakes on them.  There are some very nice versions of songs blighted by an error and that bugs me.  Maybe I'm a perfectionist or maybe I don't like to hear him make mistakes, but whatever it is it just spoils it for me personally. 

Frankly I think it's shocking for Guy to think "they became better as musicians when they stopped trying to do perfect shows."  Clearly they are on the downward slope so he is deluded.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:43:33 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 01:30:34 PM »

In the great scheme of things at the moment, no.  However it can be really annoying and spoil what would otherwise be your favourite version of a song.  I don't often listen back to songs with noticeable mistakes on them.  There are some very nice versions of songs blighted by an error and that bugs me.  Maybe I'm a perfectionist or maybe I don't like to hear him make mistakes, but whatever it just spoils it for me.

I kind of get your reasoning dmg, but I look at it that MK is human and remember he is such a perfectionist that even when he does go wrong it doesn't seem to faze him - you can see the look in his eye when he 'gets out of jail' during a solo perhaps when he has gone wrong and the relief almost that he found the correct note at last! I find it both fascinating and incredible the recovery when he does bluff! A true master of his craft!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:35:02 PM by Knopflerfan »

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2021, 06:39:15 PM »
Frankly I think it's shocking for Guy to think "they became better as musicians when they stopped trying to do perfect shows."  Clearly they are on the downward slope so he is deluded.

Personaly, I don't know what a perfect show is. The notion is different for every one.

If perfection is zero mistakes it doesn't necessary means that you are going to enjoy yourself. Improvisation is source of mistakes but it's improvisation that I'm expecting at a MK concert. Different solos, new ideas, etc...

Guy may claim that they stopped focusing on mistakes I'm sure that as professional musicians they are all trying their best and succeeding, it's what music is about.

So I disagree, they are growing old yes, and it shows on the case of Mark mainly but they are not going on the downward slope for flippancy or lack of interest, they're doing their job.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »
I don't hear mistakes but I can feel the pain.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 07:57:18 PM »
I have to go for the one show I attended in 2019, which was Amsterdam. Probably my favorite of the 8 Mark Knopfler shows I have been to. I don't have many recordings from the tour unfortunately as you can not seem to pay with Paypal anymore to buy them. I don't have/want a credit card, so it will stay at the 7 shows I do have.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2022, 12:12:00 AM »
I attended the show in Lisbon and I left very happy, but also with the realization that time had finally got up to our beloved Mark. He seemed so physically awkward, so slow, so out of shape... He even had trouble walking (remember the event in Cesena 2018). He still played a good show, however. Maybe it was just the first few shows of the tour, but it was a huge contrast to when I had seen him live for the last time, in 2010, full of energy.

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2022, 07:16:30 AM »
For me Barcelona was a top show even that I had a very Bad seat (thanks to official presale  :-x ) telegraph Road was one of the best versions I have seen live.  (Short and crisp solo  :thumbsup :clap ) the best (concert) experience was RAH 1st night. Unfortunately I didnt get tickets for the second night.
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 37 queries.