Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72175 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
A nice interview with Greg leisz

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/greg-leisz-guitarist-interview-1172942/

I see he played in 1998 with Dylan and Van, I saw that tour so I guess I have seen Greig live.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2022, 11:16:52 AM »
Great interview, I can now see why Mark choose him, they have a similar musical background, and have a lot of artists in common.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
Just saw in twitter that McCusker, McGoldrick and their friend John Doyle are touring in february and march, being the 20th of March their last date... that means they won't join
the MK recordings until after that date!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2022, 01:08:23 PM »
Big fan of the pedal steel here and would love to see a country influenced album from Mark as I think country rock is really his thing.

Really disappointed it's not Franklin though, and that the usual suspects are turning up.  I suppose that contradicts itself!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2022, 01:13:12 PM »
Just saw in twitter that McCusker, McGoldrick and their friend John Doyle are touring in february and march, being the 20th of March their last date... that means they won't join
That is indeed an interesting question how much and when they will be present at BG this spring!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2022, 01:20:18 PM »

Thanks!  We'll be going to Otley on 25th February, Covid allowing!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 08:15:12 AM »
That is indeed an interesting question how much and when they will be present at BG this spring!

All the more reason I'd say the recording sessions will be in Late March at the earliest.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2022, 08:17:55 AM »
I do enjoy a bit of pedal steel guitar so long as it's not on everything.   I loved it on "You and Your Friends" for example.  I hope the new album is not entirely country music, but I feel sure there will be lots of styles as usual, especially as it seems the folkies are involved again.

I'm with you on this one, superval. I'm not a huge fan of pedal steel but I am aware how well it does fit in with some of MK's work, however I wouldn't want it 'flooding' the new album mind.....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2022, 08:31:17 AM »
I do enjoy a bit of pedal steel guitar so long as it's not on everything.   I loved it on "You and Your Friends" for example.  I hope the new album is not entirely country music, but I feel sure there will be lots of styles as usual, especially as it seems the folkies are involved again.

I'm with you on this one, superval. I'm not a huge fan of pedal steel but I am aware how well it does fit in with some of MK's work, however I wouldn't want it 'flooding' the new album mind.....

Don't has to be country though. "The Ragpicker's Dream" is like jazz but still has pedal steel. With simple fills it transforms into violin-like, or orchestral little accents. It's only "country" with distinctive country solos.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2022, 08:33:14 AM »

Don't has to be country though. "The Ragpicker's Dream" is like jazz but still has pedal steel. With simple fills it transforms into violin-like, or orchestral little accents. It's only "country" with distinctive country solos.

Yes very true, hadn't thought of it like that. Still scarred by the Pedal steel in OES which I wasn't a great fan of....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2022, 09:51:33 AM »

All the more reason I'd say the recording sessions will be in Late March at the earliest.....

I think in previous sessions for other records, they started recording the core of the songs with the band, and the folkie parts were added later. Actually I think the last record, DTRW, only features the folkies in two songs from the fourteen, "Drover road" and "One song at a time".

It's seems likely they start in February with all the musicians except the folkies, and in March they would come if they are needed.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2022, 12:16:11 PM »

Yes very true, hadn't thought of it like that. Still scarred by the Pedal steel in OES which I wasn't a great fan of....

None of the albums have ever really had pedal steel anywhere where it wasn't needed, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The OES tour on the other hand...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2022, 12:26:19 PM »

None of the albums have ever really had pedal steel anywhere where it wasn't needed, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The OES tour on the other hand...

Heavy Fuel on the OES album? I like it but it's not really needed on that type of rock song.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »

I think in previous sessions for other records, they started recording the core of the songs with the band, and the folkie parts were added later. Actually I think the last record, DTRW, only features the folkies in two songs from the fourteen, "Drover road" and "One song at a time".

It's seems likely they start in February with all the musicians except the folkies, and in March they would come if they are needed.

You beat me to it. That’s exactly what I was thinking about John and Mike. Plus the fact that last tour, they played a lot of percussion.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2022, 08:40:05 PM »

Heavy Fuel on the OES album? I like it but it's not really needed on that type of rock song.

No, quite right. Pedal Steel on Heavy Fuel seems very out of place...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 37 queries.