Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 73675 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2022, 10:11:39 AM »
The weirdest thing in 2019 to me was the absence on the iconic National on R&J. That sounded really strange.

The brass section can be cool if well used.

Mark turning into classic 'stax sound' blended with his inimitable touch could have been an enjoyable move.

The beard resonator just didn’t cut it. He might as well have played it on a normal wooden acoustic tuned to open G.

I think the old reliable National is just too heavy for Mark's back. The thingh weighs like an aeroplane! Around 8 lbs. or 4 kilos or more, it's a beast. And on the new guitar they seem to have a pretty generic and not a sophisticated undersaddle pickup which really sounds like a regular acoustic guitar. I think in the old one the pickup was installed right in the cone itself. But either way, this change was lame and I can't agree more.

Gibson Les Paul is also very heavy, and he used it a lot.

The problem with the National wasn't the weight, but protecting such an old guitar from further damage on the road.

I think he might had used the Beltona or the National replica instead of the Beard, that didn't sound right for Romeo nor for TR, but he thought it fit, so he used it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
The weirdest thing in 2019 to me was the absence on the iconic National on R&J. That sounded really strange.

Mark turning into classic 'stax sound' blended with his inimitable touch could have been an enjoyable move.

The beard resonator just didn’t cut it. He might as well have played it on a normal wooden acoustic tuned to open G.

I think the old reliable National is just too heavy for Mark's back. The thingh weighs like an aeroplane! Around 8 lbs. or 4 kilos or more, it's a beast. And on the new guitar they seem to have a pretty generic and not a sophisticated undersaddle pickup which really sounds like a regular acoustic guitar. I think in the old one the pickup was installed right in the cone itself. But either way, this change was lame and I can't agree more.

The problem with the National wasn't the weight, but protecting such an old guitar from further damage on the road.

I think he might had used the Beltona or the National replica instead of the Beard, that didn't sound right for Romeo nor for TR, but he thought it fit, so he used it.

Protecting guitar is also that Mark said about dropping his National, I believe. So, unless he's lying, that has to be true. But I think Les Paul is still about 1 kilo less, who knows about how his signature prototype weighs, maybe less, and also LP is easier to hold. With Heart Full Of Holes and "proper" metal body resonator guitar he played it while sitting! So it's not so clear to me as he just suddenly decided to protect a guitar after almost 100 years of abuse.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2022, 10:34:19 AM »

Protecting guitar is also that Mark said about dropping his National, I believe. So, unless he's lying, that has to be true. But I think Les Paul is still about 1 kilo less, who knows about how his signature prototype weighs, maybe less, and also LP is easier to hold. With Heart Full Of Holes and "proper" metal body resonator guitar he played it while sitting! So it's not so clear to me as he just suddenly decided to protect a guitar after almost 100 years of abuse.

Maybe it was a metaphore of himself, LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2022, 11:30:51 AM »
It hurts me to say that but I don’t think it’s a matter of wanting or not to tour, guys.

Yes.  From 2013 to 2015 there was a notable drop in standard, but in 2019 there was some basic songs just dropped from the set and others with short solos or backed by brass instruments.  I would fear for him and his reputation to tour now.

100% agreed dmg, sadly....

Unfortunately, I agree also.  I really enjoyed the three concerts I attended in 2019, but I wouldn't want him to do another tour in 2023 when he would be 74.   I wouldn't want him to tarnish his reputation.  I hope he just continues writing songs and making albums now.

I'm absolutely with you, superval99!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2022, 11:33:35 AM »
Very few Les Pauls only weigh 7lbs…

Maybe the action was easier on the Beard.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2022, 02:37:43 PM »
He should have been seated the entire show in 2019. Although unfortunate, it worked great in 2010, and he definitely played better that way than the 2008 tour.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2022, 02:46:21 PM »
He should have been seated the entire show in 2019. Although unfortunate, it worked great in 2010, and he definitely played better that way than the 2008 tour.

I went to four 2010 concerts and all of them were terrific.  MK played beautifully, perhaps because he was seated.  :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »

I went to four 2010 concerts and all of them were terrific.  MK played beautifully, perhaps because he was seated.  :think

Yeah, it was such a great tour! I have very fond memories of the concert we visited. I can literally pick any recording of that tour and just enjoy it from start to finish.

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2022, 04:55:00 PM »

I agree! Although his playing wasn't as flawless as when I saw him in 2005, Milano in 2010 is easily my favourite concert i've seen from any artist. His playing was really inspired.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2022, 06:42:37 PM »
Maybe the action was easier on the Beard.

yes that's the reason I think
and the neck was thinner to

The problem with the the national was not its weight or difficulty to preserve it, but the thick neck and high action. Mark has always said this guitar was hard to play
Thats' also the reason he played Corned beef city. Slide was a way to have a rest for his wrist, before playing STP and Once upon a time
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:47:12 PM by JF »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2022, 08:07:56 PM »

I think the KTGC tour is unfairly criticised.  Yes he was making more mistakes in 2008 than in 2010, but his solos were more inspired and he was taking more risks.  I admire that and the shows are always more interesting.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2022, 08:21:28 PM »

I think the KTGC tour is unfairly criticised.  Yes he was making more mistakes in 2008 than in 2010, but his solos were more inspired and he was taking more risks.  I admire that and the shows are always more interesting.

Ah yes the KTGC tour - amazing when I look back now. MK seemed to play with much freedom then. Bit more variety with songs too....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2022, 09:47:10 PM »

Agreed. Although 2008 was the first time I saw MK live, it does seem to be a turning point in more interesting song choices for a set list-and the introduction of a folky.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2022, 10:41:47 PM »

It was during the KTGC tour that I heard the best versions of Hill Farmer's Blues and Postcards From Paraguay.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »
It was wonderful to be at the Heineken for the first two shows of the KTGC tour and to hear so many songs, unexpectedly, for the first time.   They were really great shows and I enjoyed them very much, but the 2010 concerts are still my favourites - MK's playing was so special, everything was played so well, even though he was seated, or maybe because he was seated.  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 08:57:55 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 37 queries.