Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72121 times)

OfflineSG

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #480 on: July 29, 2022, 10:05:05 PM »
I love Mark Knopfler's voice, especially since 2004
I would like to hear more voices like that in my job (I am a sound engineer in film dubbing)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #481 on: July 29, 2022, 11:10:49 PM »
I've always liked the timbre of MK's voice. He always matched me with his music and lyrics.

Totally agree with you, Robson! :clap
Mark's voice is so unique and sounds so natural. I can't think of anyone other than him singing his great songs. His voice got even better with age and that is very rare.
I hope one day he will release an album with just him and his guitar(s) (acoustic and electric).

Can't agree with you there, at least not live.  His voice is very weak these days.  I listened to MFN from MSG the other day and his voice was shot.  He was really struggling and couldn't even get out all the words.  His voice has actually been on a downwards slope since the BIA tour.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #482 on: July 30, 2022, 08:56:40 AM »
I've always liked the timbre of MK's voice. He always matched me with his music and lyrics.

Mark's voice is so unique and sounds so natural. I can't think of anyone other than him singing his great songs. His voice got even better with age and that is very rare.
I hope one day he will release an album with just him and his guitar(s) (acoustic and electric).

Can't agree with you there, at least not live.  His voice is very weak these days.  I listened to MFN from MSG the other day and his voice was shot.  He was really struggling and couldn't even get out all the words.  His voice has actually been on a downwards slope since the BIA tour.

No, the fact is his voice has changed over the years from the rawness of his DS days to his smoother voice post-DS, maybe because he stopped smoking.   I love both voices, rough and smooth, but I get the feeling that you haven't moved on from the DS days - you are still fundamentally a DS fan!

His voice at Leeds sounded pretty good to me, but maybe not so good at some other shows, probably due to too many performances in a row.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #483 on: July 30, 2022, 09:39:10 AM »
Also when on tour the voice suffers and change, usually to worst.

I worked in a hotel that hosted many musicians playing in the city and around and there were always issues with the air conditioning on their rooms, restaurant etc as it would affect his voice. Think that MSG was the last show of a tour who passed by Italy during a very hot summer, and also playing between 4 or 5 shows per week since April.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #484 on: July 30, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »

No, the fact is his voice has changed over the years from the rawness of his DS days to his smoother voice post-DS, maybe because he stopped smoking.   I love both voices, rough and smooth, but I get the feeling that you haven't moved on from the DS days - you are still fundamentally a DS fan!

His voice at Leeds sounded pretty good to me, but maybe not so good at some other shows, probably due to too many performances in a row.

I'll admit to being fundamentally a DS fan, however I maintain what I said about his voice and his main appeal has always been his unique gruff vocal contrasting with his unique clean guitar tone.

After the BIA tour his vocal delivery became notably less energetic.  Just listen to OES tour performances for comparison.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #485 on: July 30, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »

I'll admit to being fundamentally a DS fan, however I maintain what I said about his voice and his main appeal has always been his unique gruff vocal contrasting with his unique clean guitar tone.

After the BIA tour his vocal delivery became notably less energetic.  Just listen to OES tour performances for comparison.

Just like you, I became a fan because of his rough voice and beautiful guitar - I couldn't believe the singer and the guitarist were one and the same, but when MK went solo I really loved the way his voice had changed.  Just listen to his voice on 5.15am or Basil for instance, not forgetting Back to Tupelo live in Edinburgh which was so beautiful! 

I enjoy both sides of MK to this day and I'm so glad I'm still a fan!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 01:38:07 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #486 on: July 30, 2022, 02:58:44 PM »

It got worse from BIA to OES Tour and GH. But it got better after he quit smoking.
You can clearly hear on the STP Album and song. After that his vocals got really better and evolved
Love will find a Way

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #487 on: July 30, 2022, 03:18:11 PM »
Until a few years ago I did not notice how bad the voice sounded on MFN on the 2005 US show from Passalong Crowfly.

I was shocked as I expected he had a better voice then.

But in all honesty I am more focused on the guitarist than the singer.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:21:14 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #488 on: July 30, 2022, 03:28:04 PM »

It got worse from BIA to OES Tour and GH. But it got better after he quit smoking.
You can clearly hear on the STP Album and song. After that his vocals got really better and evolved

Well, "better" is subjective as he isn't a technical singer.  Really I was referring to his ability in touring and performing live as that is what we were discussing.  Most people can sound pretty good in a studio.

OnlineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #489 on: July 30, 2022, 11:09:45 PM »

Just like you, I became a fan because of his rough voice and beautiful guitar - I couldn't believe the singer and the guitarist were one and the same, but when MK went solo I really loved the way his voice had changed.  Just listen to his voice on 5.15am or Basil for instance, not forgetting Back to Tupelo live in Edinburgh which was so beautiful! 

I enjoy both sides of MK to this day and I'm so glad I'm still a fan!

:thumbsup :clap :wave
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2022, 09:01:14 AM »
I remember reading a magazine review of one of Mark's albums years ago which stated "Mark Knopfler could be accused of never having sung a note in his life!! But he has certainly played a few" I don't agree with that, I think his voice is as unique as his guitar playing, I watch reaction videos on YouTube, and it is amazing how many people love his voice, especially people who are hearing him and his songs for the first time.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2022, 10:57:58 AM »
I remember reading a magazine review of one of Mark's albums years ago which stated "Mark Knopfler could be accused of never having sung a note in his life!! But he has certainly played a few" I don't agree with that, I think his voice is as unique as his guitar playing, I watch reaction videos on YouTube, and it is amazing how many people love his voice, especially people who are hearing him and his songs for the first time.

I've watch a few of these myself out of curiosity.  Some of them are hilarious while others do a decent job.  Of course they all want hits so we should bear that in mind.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #492 on: July 31, 2022, 01:39:54 PM »

From day one Mark Knopfler was a full package for me. Of course the guitar hero thing was obviously the main attraction but we know a lot of super guitarist that are only good at playing axes.
Mark could sang, write text and compose music, he knows how to put on a good melody. And he has this distinctive way to sing, not a tenor but he clearly do the job. Listen to him doing second voice on "Wonderfull Tonight" at the Mandela concert.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineSG

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2022, 06:05:02 PM »
I love his voice and his guitar playing
40 years ago when I discovered Dire Straits, I mostly liked the songs and the guitar.
(I'm not a real fan just a little one) ;)

But now I like his voice too
And I like the sound of the records, it's important for me because I'm a film sound engineer

OfflineMaxG

• Guitar George
« Reply #494 on: July 31, 2022, 06:06:00 PM »
I initially battled to get used to his deeper voice which started occurring from the OES tour but I grew to like it.

For me the big factor here is the effect of the gruelling touring on his voice:
1) You will notice his voice is always decent on the studio albums, this as he is going in with a "fresh" rejuvenated and rested voice.
2) Listen to how his voice takes strain over the course of a tour, starting with OES, the 1991 shows were smooth, but if you take a listen to On The Night and Basel Switzerland from 1992, you will see what I mean. This same feature applies to all the tours, just sample any early dates vs. later dates on any tour. I remember how good it sounded in 2005 the first 2 shows in South Africa when I was there live and then towards the end of the tour.
3) His voice was really deep from about 1996, Golden Heart and in particular the STP tour in 2001 then he stopped smoking and it improved.

So I think there is a distinction between a deep pleasant voice, on all his albums and the early tour shows vs. a strained/damaged voice later on in the tours which is much harder on the ear.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:09:24 PM by MaxG »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 37 queries.