Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72273 times)

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2022, 07:49:05 PM »
That's possible. Just like over 40,000 people at St. James's Stadium:)

That's Newcastle. Basel one is St Jakobs lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2022, 08:24:58 PM »
Yes my mistake. Thanks jbaent.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #512 on: August 01, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »
Why can't I see it when I watch the concert from Basel, for example.

The boredom of MK on every street tour is overrated :D

Because you are wearing very thick rose-tinted glasses.

So I too was wearing these glasses last night when I watched the Basel DVD.  ;)I didn't have the feeling that he was bored and I saw him smilling to the audience and his band mates many times. Mark has never been a great entertainer. For him it's all about the performance of his songs. He never felt the need to wear flashy suits and talk a lot. I love him the way he is. And just let me say this. If your private life is falling into pieces you can't act like being the happies guy in the world.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2022, 08:44:18 PM »
I agree with every word KnopfleRick :thumbsup

"If your private life is falling into pieces you can't act like being the happies guy in the world.

That's true. And this is worth remembering
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2022, 10:05:11 PM »
Good point. But was the tour on every street really not a success?  Was Mark bored? He knows best :) It doesn't matter in my opinion - every street tour was a success.
Oh come on, dude! How was that tour a success? For whom? Mark and John funded the beginning of the tour and lost millions of pounds so the tour wasn't financially successful; the ticket sales were nowhere near the BIA tour. I learned sometime ago that concerts in Australia had to be cancelled due to poor sales; the coverage in the media, from what I have read here, was superficial compared to 85/86. So, also in reception it was unsuccessful.

Even Mark, I think, hated that tour, as he never mentioned it ever again and has shown hints of disdain about that period. I remember an interview from 2018 where the reporter tells him his personal favourite song My Parties and Mark gives him the most indifferent reply possible and tells the journalist he doesn't even remember that song was on OES!  ;D

I'm happy to hear that you like it, there are also certain moments of that tour which I think are superb and I listen to songs from 1991 quite often. But to claim that the tour was a success... :hmm

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #515 on: August 02, 2022, 12:17:13 AM »
Australia and US tours were losses.

Europe was a stong success

But in economics gains are sums to your capital, losses are divisions to your capital.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2022, 08:34:59 AM »
European concerts covered the loose from Australia, New Zealand and North America, well, probably in NA they had a balance between costs and income, but it is sure they won a lot of money in Europe.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2022, 10:14:07 AM »
I'm no expert on the economics of concerts but it was notable that they played to stadiums at the end of the tour where presumably they can make more money per show.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2022, 10:50:01 AM »
I'm no expert on the economics of concerts but it was notable that they played to stadiums at the end of the tour where presumably they can make more money per show.

Yes, and they played, for example, in Spain, in towns where usually nobody that big goes, and all stadiums.

I guess that if they wanted, they could had played in 12 more cities, in football stadiums, and fill all of them, but I guess at that time they simply wanted to finish.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2022, 01:18:55 PM »

Yes, and they played, for example, in Spain, in towns where usually nobody that big goes, and all stadiums.

I guess that if they wanted, they could had played in 12 more cities, in football stadiums, and fill all of them, but I guess at that time they simply wanted to finish.

Same in UK.  I mean Ipswich Town FC?

Still, it's not as bad as Elton John and The Killers playing Falkirk FC in more recent times!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #520 on: August 02, 2022, 01:34:53 PM »

Still, it's not as bad as Elton John and The Killers playing Falkirk FC in more recent times!

They also played at Gateshead stadium, come on! MK is a geordie, play at St James's Park!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OfflineMaxG

• Guitar George
« Reply #521 on: August 02, 2022, 01:57:07 PM »
I think there is a bit of an over emphasis on Mark's personal situation in relation to his performances and music. He is a professional musician, much like a professional sportsmen, people are paying for your shows and you must try and do your best to deliver. Chris Witten even stated this where he said the OES tour as we all know was not the happiest camp, but he realised he had to go out and give it his best. I think the last thing a musician wants to do is let their fans down.

In general, I feel MK always tries to give his best in shows and realises the fans are there for him. Any perceived weak performances I would therefore be inclined to put down rather to his physical or health situation at the time as opposed to any personal situation of just not being in the mood.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2022, 02:41:34 PM »

They also played at Gateshead stadium, come on! MK is a geordie, play at St James's Park!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A lot of clubs don't want these type of events, often they have to rip up and replace the pitch afterwards.

I have a soft spot for this run of shows as MK signed my poster advertising them.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2022, 07:27:25 PM »
Some months ago I got a gossip from someone, who obviusly I can't mention, very close to MK and his people, and looks like MK is very determined that concerts are over, but his management and musicians, whenever they can, try to convince him, very carefully, about doing at least some gigs when the new record comes out, but looks like right now, there are very few chances that happens.

I truly hoped that, after gather with his band, recording the songs, he might changed his mind, but by now it didn't. I still hope that when the record comes out, he feels like playing some gigs and present those songs live, even a small number of gigs, but I'm kind of negative about it.

Did you hear any rumors lately that MK has changed his mind regarding live dates for 2023?
Usually we got news in August/September for a tour the following year.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #524 on: August 19, 2022, 10:20:25 AM »
No, he's very determinated with that.

But I know that when the time approach those around him will try to convince him to present the record live, but forget about touring.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 37 queries.