Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Studio Diary 2022  (Read 29067 times)

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Studio Diary 2022
« Reply #225 on: March 29, 2023, 12:31:48 AM »
I think we also need to think about the opposite of said mantra. It could be argued that Marks whole creative journey since DS fame has really been about putting the genie back in the bottle, getting back to the simplicity of a storyteller and his guitar, and really seeking the freedom of anonymity.

How many artists can you think of who actually managed to lower their profile while still selling millions. MK is uniquely successful in this...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #226 on: March 29, 2023, 09:32:58 AM »
I don't think he is unique in that, Enya, Kate Bush, Mike Oldfield for example. But, I agree he wanted to get back to being a story teller, he still had to keep doing the guitar hero stuff at the start of his career because he didn't want to loose his audience, hence, his first few solo albums and tours were still guitar centered, but that has got less and less, the song is his voice now, where before it was the guitar and song.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »
I don't think he is unique in that, Enya, Kate Bush, Mike Oldfield for example. But, I agree he wanted to get back to being a story teller, he still had to keep doing the guitar hero stuff at the start of his career because he didn't want to loose his audience, hence, his first few solo albums and tours were still guitar centered, but that has got less and less, the song is his voice now, where before it was the guitar and song.

I. dont think those examples stack up.Much as I love them both, sales wise they're nowhere near Marks level of success - KB 40 Million approx, and MO somewhere around 30 million. Kate Bush could not sit in a coffee shop outside the venue 3 hours before a performance. Marks anonymity is unparalleled!   

Just my opinion ;-) And a good discussion! ....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2023, 11:05:15 AM »
I'm not sure MK sells that much nowadays, but however he sold already so much records and still getting paid for his writer rights that he doesn't have to worry about it, further than having his record company happy so he can still record and release his stuff without having to worry doing it himself.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2023, 12:21:44 PM »

I. dont think those examples stack up.Much as I love them both, sales wise they're nowhere near Marks level of success - KB 40 Million approx, and MO somewhere around 30 million. Kate Bush could not sit in a coffee shop outside the venue 3 hours before a performance. Marks anonymity is unparalleled!   

I agree, I'm sure a lot of MK's peers are envious of what he managed to do - drop the hits and still fill arena. By 2015 most of the DS songs were gone and he was still packing them in. I know more came back in 2019 but it seems that was through choice rather than obligtion.

Kate Bush would still sell out a week at the RAH because she still has an extremely loyal fanbase, the others not so much.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2023, 12:34:22 PM »

But, I was mainly referring to the freedom of anonymity they have. They might be recognized in the street, but they keep a very low profile between albums, more so than even Mark.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2023, 01:57:48 PM »

But, I was mainly referring to the freedom of anonymity they have. They might be recognized in the street, but they keep a very low profile between albums, more so than even Mark.

I think what I'm getting at is that Marks anonymity allows him to be a part of the crowd, to be the observer, something thats key to his best songs. I cant think of anyone else who is able to do this. Certainly not KB.

I also think those examples withdrew from public life for other reasons as well not necessarily creative ones, more self preservation.....

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2023, 07:21:24 PM »
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 37 queries.