Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Songs where the guitarist appears to have been "influenced" by MK  (Read 5062 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: Songs where the guitarist appears to have been "influenced" by MK
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 01:47:30 PM »
Yes he does :)
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 11:03:00 PM »
Mike Oldfield plays a Knopfler influenced solo for Moonlight Shadow, in terms of melodic approach and sound, even to the extent of playing the Sultans "Twiddly" bits when playing Moonlight Shadow live in the 90's he has also namechecked Mark in an interview, and stated that although he doesn't generally listen to other people's music, he did enjoy Private Investigations.

These days he plays an MK strat too.
4 real? got a pic or something?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 08:22:53 AM »
There might be a photo in the booklet for his last album, Return to Ommadawn, which is the album he used it on, but I don't have it to had right now to look in. I haven't found a photo online.

Offline461oceanblvd

• Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 05:53:54 PM »
I don't think of John Mayer as being an MK acolyte (at all), but Wild Blue sounds like it belongs on Communique. The riff and the soloing all sound just like Mark from that period.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 06:23:44 PM »
I don't think of John Mayer as being an MK acolyte (at all), but Wild Blue sounds like it belongs on Communique. The riff and the soloing all sound just like Mark from that period.

And funny enough, John said, "Wild Blue" is his favorite song from his newest album ;D

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 11:14:24 AM »

And funny enough, John said, "Wild Blue" is his favorite song from his newest album ;D

John was on a podcast with Cory Wong and they talked about Wild Blue and the Dire Straits feeling of it.
Listen to this: https://www.instagram.com/tv/Caz7KZIlpjb/?utm_medium=copy_link
I love how John says he's not trying a Mark Knopfler solo but it kinda is.
And then he plays the Calling Elvis riff...

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 12:09:33 PM »

John was on a podcast with Cory Wong and they talked about Wild Blue and the Dire Straits feeling of it.

Haha, a great finding! "He occupies that space". But that's actually ridiculous. Musicians can't "own" a sound and accusing people of stealing "Mark Knopfler's sound" is an insane idea on its own. It's like accusing someone of wearing boots... You just do it, naturally.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:14:18 PM by quizzaciously »

hunter

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 12:44:44 PM »

Haha, a great finding! "He occupies that space". But that's actually ridiculous. Musicians can't "own" a sound and accusing people of stealing "Mark Knopfler's sound" is an insane idea on its own. It's like accusing someone of wearing boots... You just do it, naturally.

And if you listen to the early JJ Cale albums, it becomes SO obvious where Mark got his sound from, especially on laid back tracks like Six Blade Knife.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 02:00:22 PM »

And if you listen to the early JJ Cale albums, it becomes SO obvious where Mark got his sound from, especially on laid back tracks like Six Blade Knife.

Especially "Okie".
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 03:29:19 PM »

Sure!
But since I'm a huge fan of JM as well, I'm very proud of him acklowledging Mark.

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 04:02:43 PM »
When I first heard this on radio (1988) albeit from a workplace background radio, I was convinced it was something new from Dire Straits!!

Homage to MK maybe?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

Sure!
But since I'm a huge fan of JM as well, I'm very proud of him acklowledging Mark.
Wow!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 10:44:03 AM »
Chris Rea has lots of Knopfler sounding song, Soft Top, Hard Shoulder is a great example.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 11:18:42 AM »
Chris Rea has lots of Knopfler sounding song, Soft Top, Hard Shoulder is a great example.

I think Chris once said that he wanted to be MK if he had a choice or something like that, he obviously has huge admiration for him.

And here, from 3:20:

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 11:39:21 AM »
imho the Chris Rea song with the most knopflerish sound is Windy town, but it's not Chris playing, it's Jerry Donahue

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.