Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: More unreleased stuff to come?!  (Read 8337 times)

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Re: More unreleased stuff to come?!
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2022, 04:04:36 PM »
When I went to MK & Friends in 2002, three evenings at SBE, indelible memory, I remember that the concerts were promoted by the official website of MK, without too much pomp, but anyone who knew about MK understood that among other things, that was also ' a reunion of the DS '. I think Jbaent means something like this, something small made just for us. This does not mean forbidding someone from going to a concert even if it would be their first ever or a completely zero about MK or DS. I hope and believe that something like this will happen, like in 2002 everyone on the same stage playing Blues stay away from me, Setting me up, Sailing to Philadelphia, Going Home ... :thumbsup

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 04:11:11 PM »
He also said at the time they still had a tour in them........

Actually they should have a proper last tour, something smaller in scale, with a more friendly band with less proffesional musicians hired just for the occasion, having familiar faces surrounding them (like McIntosh for example) and tickets being sold for loyal fans buying tickets to markknofler.com to have controled the scale of it...

And if that would happen it would be really a celebration of their music with their fans, not like the last DS one who was more like an economical thing.

But that's not happening anyway, with MK retiring from touring as a solo artist...

It's like you're describing the Golden Heart tour ;D

Actually I'm describing the MK and friends gig, but changing Danny Cummings on drums by probably Ianto, Chris White on sax for Nigel Hitchcock and hopefully Geraint Watkings by Alan Clark, but I'm not sure if MK would ask Alan to come back after all the Legacy thing...

Probably the tickets thing would be themore difficult part, as MK.com should check the buyers from the last MK solo tours and award their compromise with the MK solo career, or maybe just ask for a premium account to nowadays subscribers in order to sort it the smaller as possible.

it's very subjective
I could only attend a few gigs in DS/Mark's carreer during my life : 6 in total
But without any pretentiousness, I call me a guenine hard fan.
and I am sure that there are many others who never could go to an MK gig
wouldn't they be "allowed" to get tickets then ?  :think

Would you give advantage to someone that never attended a MK solo gig but wants to see Dire Straits, or would you give that advantage to someone that followed the MK solo career?

If anyone never could go to a MK solo gig, now suddenly they can go to a DS one?

Just give priority to loyal fans, and casual fans later if there are still tickets.

this is exactly what I mean : what is the criteria to judge who are "loyal fans ?
I couldn't go to many gigs like other people because of personnal matters.
I don't think that number of gigs I attended can make a level oy my "loyalty" to MK
I bet that many people saw far more gigs than me, but know less Mark's music than me... it's all subjective
and I can't see how such a rule could work : you attended xxx gigs ? ok you are a loyal fan !  :disbelief :disbelief :smack :smack

My best example would be, I heard there was a guy who wrote a great book on China's history or something and had never been to the country itself. I attended only 3 Mark's shows in my lifetime, and so what? People who can afford it, or live in Germany (LOLS), can visit as many shows as they want. In some countries, he barely played, so if I would live in Australia I would give up on waiting for MK to arrive. If it's too expensive even for him, why I should bother to see him then? Isn't that a bit egoistic on his part? LOL.
I'll never know why he stopped going to Australia. It seemed like the country and the band had a really special connection in the 80's, but after the OES tour he only went there in 2005 - I think - to never comeback again.
The financial explanation doesn't make much sense to me. It's one of the richest countries in the world, surely the ticket sales would be able to cover the cost. I think he just stopped giving a damn. He's in his confort zone since 2005.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
When I went to MK & Friends in 2002, three evenings at SBE, indelible memory, I remember that the concerts were promoted by the official website of MK, without too much pomp, but anyone who knew about MK understood that among other things, that was also ' a reunion of the DS '. I think Jbaent means something like this, something small made just for us. This does not mean forbidding someone from going to a concert even if it would be their first ever or a completely zero about MK or DS. I hope and believe that something like this will happen, like in 2002 everyone on the same stage playing Blues stay away from me, Setting me up, Sailing to Philadelphia, Going Home ... :thumbsup

I surely would have loved to go to these gigs, but at time , I just COULDN'T.... does it  make me a "less loyal fan" ???  :hmm

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2022, 04:20:52 PM »

I surely would have loved to go to these gigs, but at time , I just COULDN'T.... does it  make me a "less loyal fan" ???  :hmm

Of course not.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 04:22:36 PM »

Actually they should have a proper last tour, something smaller in scale, with a more friendly band with less proffesional musicians hired just for the occasion, having familiar faces surrounding them (like McIntosh for example) and tickets being sold for loyal fans buying tickets to markknofler.com to have controled the scale of it...

And if that would happen it would be really a celebration of their music with their fans, not like the last DS one who was more like an economical thing.

But that's not happening anyway, with MK retiring from touring as a solo artist...

Actually I'm describing the MK and friends gig, but changing Danny Cummings on drums by probably Ianto, Chris White on sax for Nigel Hitchcock and hopefully Geraint Watkings by Alan Clark, but I'm not sure if MK would ask Alan to come back after all the Legacy thing...

Probably the tickets thing would be themore difficult part, as MK.com should check the buyers from the last MK solo tours and award their compromise with the MK solo career, or maybe just ask for a premium account to nowadays subscribers in order to sort it the smaller as possible.

it's very subjective

Would you give advantage to someone that never attended a MK solo gig but wants to see Dire Straits, or would you give that advantage to someone that followed the MK solo career?

If anyone never could go to a MK solo gig, now suddenly they can go to a DS one?

Just give priority to loyal fans, and casual fans later if there are still tickets.

this is exactly what I mean : what is the criteria to judge who are "loyal fans ?
I don't think that number of gigs I attended can make a level oy my "loyalty" to MK
I bet that many people saw far more gigs than me, but know less Mark's music than me... it's all subjective
and I can't see how such a rule could work : you attended xxx gigs ? ok you are a loyal fan !  :disbelief :disbelief :smack :smack

My best example would be, I heard there was a guy who wrote a great book on China's history or something and had never been to the country itself. I attended only 3 Mark's shows in my lifetime, and so what? People who can afford it, or live in Germany (LOLS), can visit as many shows as they want. In some countries, he barely played, so if I would live in Australia I would give up on waiting for MK to arrive. If it's too expensive even for him, why I should bother to see him then? Isn't that a bit egoistic on his part? LOL.
I'll never know why he stopped going to Australia. It seemed like the country and the band had a really special connection in the 80's, but after the OES tour he only went there in 2005 - I think - to never comeback again.
The financial explanation doesn't make much sense to me. It's one of the richest countries in the world, surely the ticket sales would be able to cover the cost. I think he just stopped giving a damn. He's in his confort zone since 2005.

In 2005, there was also South America and the places where Mark played for the first time.
Clear as the day

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2022, 04:26:59 PM »

No sure. Never say that. I hope in a MK & Friends like 2002  :thumbsup

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2022, 11:48:26 AM »

it's very subjective

They lost money and had to cancel shows in 91. It is strange how DS went from being so huge in 86 to indifference in Australia 5 years later.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »
I think the music landscape was starting to change, with the likes of grunge etc emerging.  :(
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
When they went back to Australia in 2005 they also had problem selling the gigs, I remember they had to do promotion because it wasn't selling as expected, I even remember Guy telling on his site about one gig in a theatre in Sydney that wasn't selling well and that was a very big chance of seeing them in a more intimate scenario...

If they did a last DS tour, there would be hugh demand so they should do something to control it, not going out of the smaller size they would want it to be, and usually big names like The Police or Genesis, even Clapton nowadays, what they do is offer a premium account where you pay a certain amount and you have access to priority tickets before it went on sale for general public. I don't like this way as scalpers can register and buy tickets as those premiums accounts are open to everyone, but that's the easy way for them to organize it.

I would prefer that from MK site they use another system like, giving that priority to users registered before the last tour went on sale, or that bought tickets for any of the previous tours, and after that, a second presale for premium new users, and after that, general sale. I truly think that if there is a last DS tour, the old loyal fans should have priority to the ones that are only interested in a last reunion. Yes, judge the loyalty can be subjective, but the being registered before the last tour could be something maybe better that if you never bought a ticket to any of the MK tours, but I think that MK had toured alone enough so you have might seen him in one tour or the other....

Anyway, this is very unlikely to happen. Maybe release unreleased stuff is something that might happen if John is on charge and MK has to do nothing except saying "Ok, go on", because if MK is on charge... just forget about it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2022, 02:33:18 PM »
MK is in charge. He wrote all the songs and was the leader of DS. Since he has NO interest in anything that has to do with DS for many years i would be surprised if something new would come up anytime soon…. Perhaps he will give a go for a song or 2 to dust up and release it on Spotify…. But something like a new live album from the BIA tour. It would really surprise me.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2022, 11:15:37 PM »
I think the music landscape was starting to change, with the likes of grunge etc emerging.  :(

That's true. I knew it but never thought about it. Grunge music changed the music scene not only in USA.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:18:01 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2022, 12:01:21 AM »
Both leg of european tour were  huge success
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2022, 04:22:18 PM »
If DS was still touring this day it is my believe they would stil be one of the biggest names in music and would stil sell out huge venues/stadiums. They have a huge fanbase. They would still be touring the world with sold out concerts in many countries.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2022, 04:52:20 PM »
Mark once said (The Ragpicker's Dream period) that he could record such music from DS. It's just a name I don't need.
Clear as the day

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2022, 05:32:32 AM »

it's very subjective

Whether it's a new solo tour, or a Dire Straits reunion, I just hope I get the opportunity to see it live for the first time, it's the one experience I've been missing as a fan and researcher for over 20 years. :think

Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 38 queries.