Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: More unreleased stuff to come?!  (Read 8343 times)

hunter

More unreleased stuff to come?!
« on: May 31, 2022, 11:56:57 AM »
Someone asked Guy this: Doc, In a video interview with JI he talked about his career and future unreleasesd stuff he wanted to revist from the vaults. Hopefully Portobello is the start of more to come. Was he right?

Guy's reply: John is always right.

Is it just Guy being Guy, or is he actually suggesting there's more unreleased stuff to be released? My dream would be a complete Alchemy release, not only excerpts.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: More unreleased stuff to come?!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 12:05:04 PM »
You just never know....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
I'm not into Guy's head, but they have certainly recovered and indexed all the old recordings. Surely not to be released, but to be preserved.

I'm more in the idea that they will use them to continue milking the cow, releasing little by little as extras, with Mark's approval.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 01:38:09 PM »
aLCHEMY is more complete. ON THE NIGHT is poorer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:42:01 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 01:48:58 PM »
I think he just said John is always right, because John is John, and it's not related to release anything unreleased.

But, if release anything unreleased is under John's hands, there is a small chance, bigger that if depende on MK!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 02:46:05 PM »

True, but – at least to me – the music from the Alchemy era (or LOG tour) is a lot more interesting.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 03:55:57 PM »
I don't believe they'll come back to Alchemy or On The Night. They should think about a concert from BIA tour.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 10:00:35 PM »

True, but – at least to me – the music from the Alchemy era (or LOG tour) is a lot more interesting.

+1000  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
I would far prefer to have the complete 1983 Portobello Belle and 1982 It never rains in good mixes than songs from the 91-92 era

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 11:58:02 PM »
I don't believe that. They have given us absolutely nothing new since Live at the BBC, and that was 1995. Every 4 ou 5 years they gather together, drink a few beers and after a while they say: "Oh, yeah, Dire Straits, that still has a fanbase. Let's give them an LP reissue of an album we've already released!"
And another guy goes like: "Fantastic idea! Let's also give them another version of this song, but let's keep it cut-out because they wouldn't want to listen to a 13 minute track!"

This is how I imagine they decide things. I admire everyone's optimism in this forum but there's just a huge history of projects left in the shelf that we probably will never see and hear (Madrid 2001, Tracker 2015 Live, MK HHansen Documentary, etc.). I hope I'm wrong, but there will be nothing really new coming out.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 10:23:55 AM »
John always seems the member of the band who is most into the history, so he would be perfect do search the vaults and release some stuff, he would clearly have more time on his hands to do it than Mark and Guy, although I think Guy would help too.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 11:55:58 AM »
If MK, JI or the record-company have some thrilling live-recordings in the vault, possibly from the BIA-Aera, it will be cool to have a very good sounding concert-recording from the official side. Split 1985 or Christchurch 1986 in best sound quality will be cool, but that is my personal idea for that.
As we know, through our fellow fan-mate Jeroen, a lot of concerts had been recorded in various sound-qualities over the last 40 + years, but how many concerts had been recorded by the record company in those days, except Alchemy-gig or the On the Night-recordings. What do you think ? Are there any and many live-recordings in the vaults of the record-company or in the vaults of MK or JI.?? Can we hope for more complete live-material from various concerts around the globe ? :think
We are fools to make war

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 01:02:01 PM »
I was just checking Guys forum and thought "hmm maybe I should order that art book", when I saw this. I think he is doing what he can, he knows what we want.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »
If MK, JI or the record-company have some thrilling live-recordings in the vault, possibly from the BIA-Aera, it will be cool to have a very good sounding concert-recording from the official side. Split 1985 or Christchurch 1986 in best sound quality will be cool, but that is my personal idea for that.
As we know, through our fellow fan-mate Jeroen, a lot of concerts had been recorded in various sound-qualities over the last 40 + years, but how many concerts had been recorded by the record company in those days, except Alchemy-gig or the On the Night-recordings. What do you think ? Are there any and many live-recordings in the vaults of the record-company or in the vaults of MK or JI.?? Can we hope for more complete live-material from various concerts around the globe ? :think

One thing is the concerts recorded for broadcasting purposes, those are owned by the companies (radio or tv) that used them

Another thing is the concerts they recorded by themselves, and that's very little until more or less 2005, and if my memory serves, are these ones:

- Paris and London 1983 dates in order to release a live album (Alchemy)
- Paris, Rotterdam and Nimes 1992 dates in order to release a live album (On the night)
- Madrid, Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow 2001, in order to release a live dvd (only Madrid recorded in video) using parts of audio of the other concerts if patches were needed
- London, Shepherd Bush Empire 2002, in order to use audio parts and video parts for promotion of the RPD record

I'm sure they have more things recorded by themselves, as demos, rehearsals etc for internal use, for example, Phil Palmer said in his book that all the DS members got tapes of the production rehersals in order to listen to them while touring and refresh the setlists...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 08:00:43 PM »
I'd love a soundboard from the Boston show in 1980.
And all these shows from 1978 and 1979, of course.

Just dreaming...
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 08:18:47 PM »
Did they not record the MK concert at the RAH in 1996 or was in 2001?? Some songs were on a best off cd.

Edit:
It was RAH 1996. I bet they record the whole concert  :think
The following tracks were recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall on 23 May 1996 by Mark Knopfler.
"Calling Elvis" – 9:05
"Walk of Life" – 5:28
"Last Exit to Brooklyn" – 2:23
"Romeo and Juliet" – 7:30
"Sultans of Swing" – 13:14
"Brothers in Arms" – 8:54
"Money for Nothing" – 6:37
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:24:57 PM by cannibals »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 42 queries.