Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A hypothetical: If DS continued, and was a democracy...  (Read 8047 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: A hypothetical: If DS continued, and was a democracy...
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2022, 05:06:47 PM »
I personally think Mark has released many weak, silly, over-sentimental or self-indulgent songs during his solo career that Ed would rightly have told him to shelve during the earlier days.

Where was Ed when My Parties made the cut?!
bro, i love my parties!!

Definitely a silly song.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2022, 05:08:22 PM »
Jerry Wexler on the left ?

David Cameron and Bill Gates too.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2022, 09:26:55 PM »
One thing that I have found very funny, is that there are people who take it to a competition level, as the central theme was at a competition level, this is ridiculous, Dire Straits only existed because of Mark Knopfler, this is a concrete fact, it is a concrete fact that the work of Mark Knopfler has much more prominence than that of any musician who was part of Dire Straits, but the central theme of this topic is something hypothetical, as the title indicates and in this context everything quoted will be subjective, anyone quoting that doesn't think a song by DK or JI could be on a DS album is as subjective as thinking that it could, however, there is something more concrete for those who like I realize that it would be possible, because there are Whats The Matter Baby, Bernadette that were played live with the original lineup and can be evaluated by all of us and without a doubt that in both they have the "sauce" of MK, his guitar solos and that the same formula was used the musical and that it could be done in any other song like Easy Street, Soul Kissing, Madonna's Daughter, Toe The Line... What would matter is that it would have the signature and style that Mark Knopfler has in everything that is involved.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:42:56 PM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
If DS will continue, maybe without MK, it will be like: Status Quo without Rick, Bee Gees without the Twins, AC-DC without Angus, or ZZ Top without Dusty Hill and so on and so on. If it is the case, those other bands are buried in my opinion. It is not the same, it is old wine, new bottled.
To be honest, i´m of the opinion it doesn´t work steadily, but it is a present wish in our minds in our roles as DS-MK-fans.
Maybe, some former DS-members will be involded in some new musical-projects, by themselves or maybe with MK, too, but new recordings as a real re-united band ??? That is an impossible dream. :think

We are fools to make war

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2022, 03:48:10 PM »
If DS will continue, maybe without MK, it will be like: Status Quo without Rick, Bee Gees without the Twins, AC-DC without Angus, or ZZ Top without Dusty Hill and so on and so on. If it is the case, those other bands are buried in my opinion. It is not the same, it is old wine, new bottled.
To be honest, i´m of the opinion it doesn´t work steadily, but it is a present wish in our minds in our roles as DS-MK-fans.
Maybe, some former DS-members will be involded in some new musical-projects, by themselves or maybe with MK, too, but new recordings as a real re-united band ??? That is an impossible dream. :think

DS without Mark?  Isn't that DS Legacy with Alan, Phil, Jack, Mel and Danny.  A lot of members there to be fair.  Interesting if you actually take a moment to think about it that that's basically what DSL is, minus JI and Mark of course.  However without Mark it is nothing.

I also have to add I love to see Mark and John playing together and nothing beats that for me.  Glenn has always been a statement to say "this is not DS" for me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »
Exactly! It was possible in Genesis or Pink Floyd not in DS.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2022, 04:44:13 PM »
Not to be misunderstood. :think
I never mentioned, that the DS Bandmembers are not adäquate musicians, they are, of course. Some of them make their own thing, like John, Alan with his new Solo-record, Richard or Guy. All that stuff is well accepted by myself, no question.
A dream for us all will be the following scenario: MK calls all known former DS-bandmembers for making a new record, re-united as DIRE STRAITS. That will be amazing, but i think it will be phantasy. If some of the former DS-bandmates come together for their own musical work, it will be fine, too. It is still a creative process,they are living for, anyway.
The picture in our minds, to see MK in the future in the studio or on stage with Pick, with John, with David, or additionally with Terry, with Guy and Alan (the keyboard-twins), with Danny, with Phil, with Hal, with Jack and so on, and so on, is pretty fine; but is it possible to be real, no fictional ?? That is the question, and my thoughts in this thread.
We are fools to make war

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2022, 07:38:37 PM »
If DS will continue, maybe without MK, it will be like: Status Quo without Rick, Bee Gees without the Twins, AC-DC without Angus, or ZZ Top without Dusty Hill and so on and so on.

imho, Dusty is not the best exemple to compare with MK. you should have said ZZ top without Billy instead
even if I admit that Dusty had a huge importance in ZZ top's sound (notably his vocals parts), I wouldn't say he was the main musical element in the band
same thing with Rick in status quo. ok he was a big part of the band, but Rossi is largely equal imho

MK in DS ?, well, you cant' compare with a musician in another band...

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2022, 08:31:01 PM »
OK, for a much better understanding. My opinion only:
For me, Status Quo is not more Status Quo, because Rick is no more available. It is the same procedure with Bee Gees without the Twin-Brothers Robin and Maurice, ZZ-TOP without Dusty, AC-DC without Angus or other bands, only to illustrate my way of thinking. It was not my aim to compare Dire Straits with other musical bands, but if some important characters, musicians, leading characters of bands, had left the band-construction, the whole think does not work anymore in a perfect way, or it is not more authentic as it was in the past.

OK, Francis Rossi of Status Quo is on the road again, but to me it is no real Status Quo anymore. The same thing, if Billy Gibbons is touring in the future under the name of ZZ-Top or AC-DC is touring without Angus. That is not the same. But it is my personal opinion, maybe i´m completely wrong, who know´s.

We are fools to make war

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2022, 11:56:00 PM »

imho, Dusty is not the best exemple to compare with MK.

True, we are both top bald guitarists, but MK has a much bigger beer belly than me.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2022, 01:32:43 PM »

True, we are both top bald guitarists, but MK has a much bigger beer belly than me.

:lol :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2022, 01:44:09 PM »

:lol :lol

Always handy for resting that heavy Gibson les Paul on though 😉

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2022, 04:02:14 PM »

:thumbsup :thumbsup :lol :lol

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2022, 04:06:35 PM »
OK, for a much better understanding. My opinion only:
For me, Status Quo is not more Status Quo, because Rick is no more available. It is the same procedure with Bee Gees without the Twin-Brothers Robin and Maurice, ZZ-TOP without Dusty, AC-DC without Angus or other bands, only to illustrate my way of thinking. It was not my aim to compare Dire Straits with other musical bands, but if some important characters, musicians, leading characters of bands, had left the band-construction, the whole think does not work anymore in a perfect way, or it is not more authentic as it was in the past.

OK, Francis Rossi of Status Quo is on the road again, but to me it is no real Status Quo anymore. The same thing, if Billy Gibbons is touring in the future under the name of ZZ-Top or AC-DC is touring without Angus. That is not the same. But it is my personal opinion, maybe i´m completely wrong, who know´s.

Yes I see your point. But I think that Rick in Status Quo is not the same thing that Mark in DS
Mars IS Dire Straits obviously. Rick Wasn't Status Quo on his own

that's a huge difference for me. OK, Angus, Rick or Dusty are/were a big part of their band, but Mark is the band on his own imho. That's not the same thing.
Thta's why I think that Status Quo without Rick for example is closer to the original Status Quo than DS without Mark

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2022, 04:26:00 PM »
A more relevant comparison would be Status Quo without Francis Rossi or ZZ Top without Billy Gibbons IMO...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 36 queries.