Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back in the Day on Spotify!  (Read 11100 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Back in the Day on Spotify!
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »
Complete tracklist:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B6JNJS2N

Precious voice from heaven is bonus song 23 on Disc 5... Even below Back in The Day... That could mean its from 2018, or his new single from the forthcoming album?  ;) (the same thing they did with all the roadrunning on the Private Investigations compilation)

They forgot about Hot Dog

The first box didn't have every track either.

Which ones were not in the first box?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »
Hmm, OK I guess they were all there, I had it in my head somehow that something had been left off but I guess not, other than live versions.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2022, 05:48:42 PM »
Is it possible that the May 23 date referred to will turn out to be the release date of the new album?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2022, 06:11:10 PM »
Is it possible that the May 23 date referred to will turn out to be the release date of the new album?

Why do you think that?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2022, 06:23:16 PM »
Hmm, OK I guess they were all there, I had it in my head somehow that something had been left off but I guess not, other than live versions.

I was subconsciously thinking about Do America :) I didn't believe that Sailing To Philadelphia album would be in full version:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2022, 10:43:44 PM »

Why do you think that?

Just possibly confusion at the retailer over MK issues. Seems too far away to be the vinyl of these reissues. But it was a guess.

hunter

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2022, 01:56:07 PM »
Now I don't want to sound like a killjoy and a negative person, but I don't think there is any point in publishing a song like this. I mean there's no melody, there's no punch. It's like elevator music :)

The most important thing Mark has now at his age is his legacy. So I think he should maintain the quality. If there's a bonus track, it should be like Dont Suck Me In, Long Highway, Claim to Fame, Camerado.

Couldn't agree more. Musically it's a just a pastiché, and lyrically it just describes the jazz scene back in the day. Why do they even bother to record stuff like this?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2022, 03:11:30 PM »
Now I don't want to sound like a killjoy and a negative person, but I don't think there is any point in publishing a song like this. I mean there's no melody, there's no punch. It's like elevator music :)

The most important thing Mark has now at his age is his legacy. So I think he should maintain the quality. If there's a bonus track, it should be like Dont Suck Me In, Long Highway, Claim to Fame, Camerado.

Couldn't agree more. Musically it's a just a pastiché, and lyrically it just describes the jazz scene back in the day. Why do they even bother to record stuff like this?

Why not? It is written by MK because he felt like writing a song about that, and he wanted it to sound like it.

Why do MK even think to write and record about what he wants instead of ask the council of fans before?

How he dares!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »
Exactly!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 04:37:02 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2022, 05:13:59 PM »

Even I was more polite about it than this!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »

Even I was more polite about it than this!  :lol
;D
I'm happy that they at least gave us something we had never heard before. Regarding the song, it's not my style, but I'm very much looking forward to the 2023 album which I think will be more country/folk/americana infused, just how I like it.

hunter

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2022, 08:44:15 PM »

Why not? It is written by MK because he felt like writing a song about that, and he wanted it to sound like it.

Why do MK even think to write and record about what he wants instead of ask the council of fans before?

How he dares!

Seriously?

It simply isn't a particularly good song, musically and lyrically. It's fluff. A filler, rightly relegated to a B side, and I just wonder why bother wasting precious studio time on something like this. Like Guy said recently on his forum, a perfect case of "what else do you got".

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2022, 09:18:27 PM »

How he dares!

Seriously?

It simply isn't a particularly good song, musically and lyrically. It's fluff. A filler, rightly relegated to a B side, and I just wonder why bother wasting precious studio time on something like this. Like Guy said recently on his forum, a perfect case of "what else do you got".

I think Jbaent wrote a sarcastic comment. At least that's the interpretation I've come to based on his previous comments that I've read. 

Actually, I was looking forward to listening to the song based on the lyrics. But it turns out it wasn't left off the list for nothing.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2022, 09:30:07 PM »
"But it turns out it wasn't left off the list for nothing"

What do you mean?
Clear as the day

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2022, 09:48:18 PM »
"But it turns out it wasn't left off the list for nothing"

What do you mean?

I mean, I remember it wasn't included in the last album at the last minute. The lyrics and duration and stuff were released in 2018, but the song wasn't released. That's what I meant.

And I find the song weak, so I'm glad it was left off the list.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.