Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: happy 84th birthday to our hero (nudge nudge)  (Read 6594 times)

Offlinebrickbat

• Local Hero
Re: happy 84th birthday to our hero (nudge nudge)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2022, 09:48:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/johnmccusker/status/1558178397532168196
Nice message but it comes across a bit as if touring together, and touring in general, is definitely a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 04:15:03 PM by brickbat »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2022, 09:52:15 AM »
neither do Jehova witnesses.

As I found out when I wished Hank Marvin a happy birthday, oops.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2022, 12:58:48 PM »

As I found out when I wished Hank Marvin a happy birthday, oops.

That sounds like quite the anecdote.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 01:17:59 PM »
The year was 1994. I was a fresh faced 16 year old and despite my tender years I was something of an old head on young shoulders. As such it was with some excitement when I saw that Hank was coming to play locally, at the much missed Capitol Theatre here in Aberdeen.

I secured tickets for me, and my mum, the only person who wanted to come with me, and counted down the days before I could enjoy a performance by the guitar twangin’, rhyme slangin’ maestro.

I went to  note the date on my calendar – this was a freebie given away by Q Magazine and included various bits of “on this day” trivia throughout the year. I was amazed to notice that the date of the gig – 28th October – was Hank’s birthday – surely a good omen for a fantastic show.

The show itself was a great affair but I was surprised when no one in Hank’s band made reference to the occasion – who wouldn’t want 2,000 Aberdonians giving them a chorus of Happy Birthday To You? But I resolved to make sure the occasion didn’t go unmarked. You see, I had brought along my copy of The Shadows 20 Golden Greats with a view to catching Hank at the stage door for an autograph, and this was a great chance to wish him many happy returns.

I dutifully lined up with a small band of fellow autograph hunters and was amazed when someone actually came to the door and let us back IN to the venue to meet the great man. Inside they had lined up trestle tables and there sat the man himself, cheerfully signing everything put in front of him with his famous toothy smile in full force.

I got to the front and as he was signing I took my opportunity. “Happy Birthday Hank” I said with youthful enthusiasm. Hank looked at me. Actually it was more of a stare. The smile had disappeared. Time seemed to stand still. He thrust the signed album back at me. “Thanks” he replied, completely deadpan.

I walked out, tail somewhat between my legs, wondering how I could have possibly upset him. After all, I had remembered his birthday – no one in his own band had for god’s sake!

It was only years later I learned that Hank is in fact a devout Jehova’s Witness.

Now, I respect any person’s personal faith, but couldn’t he have forced a smile and some appreciation for a sincere gesture from a young kid?

Don’t talk to me about Hank B Marvin.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 02:10:39 PM »
Which is correct in my opinion
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 02:32:37 PM »
The year was 1994. I was a fresh faced 16 year old and despite my tender years I was something of an old head on young shoulders. As such it was with some excitement when I saw that Hank was coming to play locally, at the much missed Capitol Theatre here in Aberdeen.

I secured tickets for me, and my mum, the only person who wanted to come with me, and counted down the days before I could enjoy a performance by the guitar twangin’, rhyme slangin’ maestro.

I went to  note the date on my calendar – this was a freebie given away by Q Magazine and included various bits of “on this day” trivia throughout the year. I was amazed to notice that the date of the gig – 28th October – was Hank’s birthday – surely a good omen for a fantastic show.

The show itself was a great affair but I was surprised when no one in Hank’s band made reference to the occasion – who wouldn’t want 2,000 Aberdonians giving them a chorus of Happy Birthday To You? But I resolved to make sure the occasion didn’t go unmarked. You see, I had brought along my copy of The Shadows 20 Golden Greats with a view to catching Hank at the stage door for an autograph, and this was a great chance to wish him many happy returns.

I dutifully lined up with a small band of fellow autograph hunters and was amazed when someone actually came to the door and let us back IN to the venue to meet the great man. Inside they had lined up trestle tables and there sat the man himself, cheerfully signing everything put in front of him with his famous toothy smile in full force.

I got to the front and as he was signing I took my opportunity. “Happy Birthday Hank” I said with youthful enthusiasm. Hank looked at me. Actually it was more of a stare. The smile had disappeared. Time seemed to stand still. He thrust the signed album back at me. “Thanks” he replied, completely deadpan.

I walked out, tail somewhat between my legs, wondering how I could have possibly upset him. After all, I had remembered his birthday – no one in his own band had for god’s sake!

It was only years later I learned that Hank is in fact a devout Jehova’s Witness.

Now, I respect any person’s personal faith, but couldn’t he have forced a smile and some appreciation for a sincere gesture from a young kid?

;D
Lol

as for Jehova’s Witnesses, I learned a lot about the truth from them.

OnlinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 03:27:18 PM »

;D
Lol

as for Jehova’s Witnesses, I learned a lot about the truth from them.

via the legendary watchtower?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2022, 07:53:58 PM »

via the legendary watchtower?
I met two missionaries, a couple in their late 40's from US and I studied with them in Croatian! What amazed me about them is that they learned Croatian for the purpose of their ministry. And the study was all for free.
We remained in contact, albeit they are now in US. They connected me with their fellow Croatians when they left.
As I remember they lived in Croatia as a missionaries more then 10 years.
As for the watchtower magazine, yes, we used it sometimes in our studies.
I remember the book we studied was called What Does The Bible Really Teach.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 08:13:08 PM »
Don’t really mean to hijack the thread but surely the best book to say what The Bible teaches is The Bible itself.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 10:15:50 PM »
Don’t really mean to hijack the thread but surely the best book to say what The Bible teaches is The Bible itself.

And it teaches you how to become an atheist, lol!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 11:18:44 PM »

And it teaches you how to become an atheist, lol!

That’s a shame. It did the opposite for me.

hunter

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »

Wow, that's weird behavior by Marvin. You'd think he'd be more generous to someone who clearly isn't familiar with the rules of his religion.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:15 AM »
Guys, can we just be careful with the religious chat please. Like politics, it can go south quickly. :)

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2022, 12:40:04 PM »
Guys, can we just be careful with the religious chat please. Like politics, it can go south quickly. :)

:thumbsup
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

hunter

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 02:46:25 PM »

It can easily end in blows below the Bible belt.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 41 queries.