Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2024  (Read 60578 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New for 2023
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2023, 06:52:43 PM »
I would say while his sales have declined, I imagine a greater proportion of his sales would be physical compared to newer artists, as his fanbase is older.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2023, 07:07:51 PM »
Maybe what I remember was December in earlier years, not last one, however, it really does not matter. I always thought that those strategies are a little dumb. When physical sales were a thing, releases in December sounds like clever to me as you can buy it as a Christmas present.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2023, 11:46:53 PM »
Thing is, all this will be determined by the label. They will all employ monkeys to sit at a computer, 'run the data', and come up with the 'perfect' strategy to sell the most units.

This idea that any artist decides on release strategy is a myth.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2023, 10:56:56 AM »

except for "independant" artists who do all by themselves.
the french duo "The Inspector Cluzo" comes to mind/ They do ALL : they ahve their own label, the manage the selling, distribution, and even the touring organisation

and I think that major artists who product themselves have their word to say, even if they don't decide all.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2023, 10:37:34 PM »

except for "independant" artists who do all by themselves.
the french duo "The Inspector Cluzo" comes to mind/ They do ALL : they ahve their own label, the manage the selling, distribution, and even the touring organisation

and I think that major artists who product themselves have their word to say, even if they don't decide all.

I wasnt referring to independent artists.

The clue is in the title of that one J!  ;)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2023, 10:46:53 AM »
 :)
I think it works with very famous artists too.
I can't imagine that The Rolling stones won't choose themselves the release date (or at least the month) for their next album.
I can't believe that the major company (I think Univresal in their case) won't ask to Jagger his point of view about when to release the album.

I am aware though that MK is not exactly in the same league as the Stones  ;D :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2023, 01:07:45 PM »
I’d guess he sells about the same. Nobody has cared about Stones albums for about 50 years.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2023, 10:33:32 PM »
:)
I think it works with very famous artists too.
I can't imagine that The Rolling stones won't choose themselves the release date (or at least the month) for their next album.
I can't believe that the major company (I think Univresal in their case) won't ask to Jagger his point of view about when to release the album.

I am aware though that MK is not exactly in the same league as the Stones  ;D :lol

And you don't think the label will want to maximize the release strategy?

Of course the artist will have a say but ultimately the label will have final call. if you want an example look no further than golden heart where Mark wanted ANISLA as the lead single. instead we got DP.

I'm not saying artists don't get a say in these decisions, and its probably the case that as physical sales have declined the weight of their opinion probably means more. But ultimately its the record label paying the overheads, the record label risking its cash, hence the simple business need to maximize its return. Any business that didn't behave like this wouldn't last long.

its dog eat dog, rat eat rat  ;)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2023, 10:53:25 PM »
A Night In Summer Long Ago first single? I did not know.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2023, 11:09:07 PM »
I’d guess he sells about the same. Nobody has cared about Stones albums for about 50 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones_discography

Not sure how you get that idea, based on the wikipedia articles, it seems like if there's an artist people don't give a rat's ass about of those two, it's (unfortunately) MK.

I don't get this whole "let's drag everyone else down because MaRk KnOpFlEr Is ThE mAsTeR"-bullcrap. Just because we're in a fan forum doesn't mean that any other artist is objectively worse...

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2023, 01:10:40 AM »

I know! I remember Mark talking somewhere about not being used to record company interference....

hunter

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2023, 01:50:34 AM »

I know! I remember Mark talking somewhere about not being used to record company interference....

A Night In Summer Long Ago as the lead single ... That's just ridiculous. Then why bother recording songs like Darling Pretty, Vic and Ray, Cannibals, etc. at all? Just go ahead and make a full-blown folk album. It shows the artist is not always right.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »

Not sure how you get that idea, based on the wikipedia articles, it seems like if there's an artist people don't give a rat's ass about of those two, it's (unfortunately) MK.

I don't get this whole "let's drag everyone else down because MaRk KnOpFlEr Is ThE mAsTeR"-bullcrap. Just because we're in a fan forum doesn't mean that any other artist is objectively worse...

No need to take offence, it's just my perception that for a long time now the Stones have been seen primarily as a legacy "greatest hits" live act and nobody really rates their studio work. Every new album seems to be marketed as "their best since Black and Blue", acknowledging that the releases since then havn't been much cop.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2023, 03:35:20 PM »

No need to take offence, it's just my perception that for a long time now the Stones have been seen primarily as a legacy "greatest hits" live act and nobody really rates their studio work. Every new album seems to be marketed as "their best since Black and Blue", acknowledging that the releases since then havn't been much cop.

I just find it sad that there's so much devaluation of others work in here, too. Like, even ex-band members' records and tunes, though not in this thread. It's music, and in the end it's all about "I like this tune, but not that one".

In your case, you can just look up and compare sales figures and you get the verdict.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2023, 04:41:06 PM »
Well we can agree to disagree my friend, I like free speech and find people's opinions interesting. I wouldn't expect everybody to like everything. There's plenty of criticism of MK's records here and in my mind that should also be encouraged.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.