Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 37901 times)

hunter

Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2023, 01:19:51 PM »
He probably will sing a couple of lines accompanied by acoustic guitar and tin whistle while on a book show on the radio  ;D

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2023, 01:39:14 PM »
A better option would be a showcase, like A Night in London.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2023, 07:54:05 PM »
A better option would be a showcase, like A Night in London.
I believe they did a few of them in several countries just before the KTC tour started.. 

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2023, 08:34:14 PM »
I don't quite understand some of the negative reviews about the 2019 tour. Actually, I don't understand the points people are trying to make. I did not notice too many mistakes in Mark's guitar playing, at least not as much to ruin the overall sound of the band. I was at one of the shows that year, and not only was the sound by the sound engineers fantastic, the sound of the band was great, so was Mark on guitar. I liked the particular arrangements of the tour, which is one of the things that made the tour special. The unique arrangements, the unique sound overall. I felt it brought a lot of new and fresh things.
I felt the setlist was pretty strong for the most part, but this is also where I'll share my first batch of complaints. The setlist was too static for my taste and it appeared that it was kind of a lazy approach, also it became too predictable after a while, with very few rarities and one-offs across the year. Second complaint is the lack of DTRW songs. I can't think of an album with less songs played from it. Even Kill To Get Crimson had many songs played apart from the 2008 tour in rare performances in 2007 and 2009, so the songs were attempted live somewhere.
Then, Nobody Does That and Silvertown Blues getting cut from the setlist eventually was such a disappointment in so many ways, as they brought more variety of sound to the set, I felt.
But the biggest concern out of all, by far, was Mark's vocals and Mark's appearance, meaning physical appearance. I think these two things kind of go together.
I know Mark has looked differently for a while, and I'm not expecting him to look like he did with Dire Straits, and I know he had that motorcycle accident that kind of affected him in many ways, but.. my god.
In 2018 first, on that interview he did talking about Down The Road Wherever, he looked worse than I've ever seen him before. Don't get me wrong, I think Mark looks good for his age currently, he seems younger and seems to be in good spirits. However, his weight in 2018 was really something that got me worried. And in early 2019 he looked so out of shape physically. But also vocally. Many might say Mark is not that great of a vocalist in the first place. I tend to disagree. I think his songs wouldn't be as great if they weren't sung by him, with that exact voice. His studio albums have kept Mark in good voice thankfully and hopefully that remains the case with this new 2023 album. But his concert voice started carefully becoming weaker after 2010 I believe. 2013, 2015 and 2019 - is filled with a lot of moments of voice not being clear or strong enough. Obviously, I can still live with that. But with 2019 at times it was so hard to accept it. It's like a mix of his former smoking days and then the weight problems which I do believe affect him. Or at least he consumes the kind of food or drinks that affect the voice and doesn't pay too much attention to it anymore. There is almost no pitch at all, neither high or low pitch. He either can't find enough feeling in his soul to sing those or he simply can't, because his throat is so affected by something. Sometimes he could barely even talk how weak his voice was. It's like he can only scream and whisper now, but it doesn't bring out as much as feeling as it should when it's not so melodic. Maybe his vocal mic was not fixed properly for the entire tour, but I don't want to go that far.
Still, despite all that, I'd love to see him tour again.
I do hope he used the pandemic and everything after to get back into better physical shape. He showed progress I believe at the end of 2019, when I think he lost a little weight compared to the beginning of the year. Hopefully that carried on until today.
I'm sure that would make a lot of things easier for him.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2023, 09:56:10 AM »
I don't quite understand that you say you don't understand, then you point out the same things?  His physical health is what makes me and others concerned. As I don't play guitar I can't comment on mistakes or not mistakes. It sounded great to me, and I don't understand either that is was *that* bad as some say. I do see that he is using the band more and plays less.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 10:25:09 AM »
For those who don't recognise MK making mistakes, I present MK royally fucking up the MFN riff in Glasgow.

No further questions m'lud, your witness.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 10:30:09 AM »
@ SlowLearner - I attended three shows- Leeds, Newcastle and Verona and I enjoyed all of them very much.   Whilst I agree on a lot of your comments, I disagree about his voice, which sounded pretty good to me, especially in Leeds, although a bit croaky in Newcastle which was the night immediately following Leeds.   His voice was very good in Verona too - I'm listening to it at the moment btw.  In fact I have heard his voice sounding worse in past tours.   I am only commenting on the shows I attended, but have listened to many more from 2019.

What is more concerning is the weight he carries around his middle, which maybe due to some health issues.

Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 10:45:13 AM »
For those who don't recognise MK making mistakes, I present MK royally fucking up the MFN riff in Glasgow.

That's indeed concerning. I think people who are complaining are just comparing "modern MK" with past MK, which is this guitar god who makes no mistakes, and have the right to ask questions. But regardless, Mark even at 70 is way over the majority of guitar players: still amazingly creative, a great improviser, classic MK, with a patina of age which does affect his playing. Personally, I think an old man shouldn't play "silly" songs like MFN and sing about faggots and microwave ovens. But he has to play the hits, and this again is the whole point about his tours becoming a little stale and predictable. I would take an odd show with surprises and rarely played songs and healthier and happier MK every time over this overplayed and frustrating big tour thing.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 10:52:59 AM »
I was in Ålesund (Norway) and yes I heard the intro was not as on the album. It was the worst audience I have ever witnessed. It was so bad that he seemded to loose focus.
I love BiA, particulary the organ part towards the end. Most of the times I heard it, the organ part was in my opinion "destroyed" by Jim, but nobody talkes about that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:44:38 PM by Elin N »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 11:18:59 AM »

That's indeed concerning. I think people who are complaining are just comparing "modern MK" with past MK, which is this guitar god who makes no mistakes, and have the right to ask questions. But regardless, Mark even at 70 is way over the majority of guitar players: still amazingly creative, a great improviser, classic MK, with a patina of age which does affect his playing. Personally, I think an old man shouldn't play "silly" songs like MFN and sing about faggots and microwave ovens. But he has to play the hits, and this again is the whole point about his tours becoming a little stale and predictable. I would take an odd show with surprises and rarely played songs and healthier and happier MK every time over this overplayed and frustrating big tour thing.

Except he doesn't have to play the hits, this was the first tour in ages when MFN was played and it was a surprise to see it back, so not predictable at all!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »
Yes, he did some mistakes here and there, but I enjoyed the shows anyway, if he can deliver something of even that standard quality, I'm in.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2023, 11:51:05 AM »
If you're not a guitar player (or musician) and don't hear any mistakes, just smile and be happy. He still has the "touch", and on slower songs, where he has time to meander and search, he still sounds great. But on things that need more dexterity and precision, he stumbles and/or resorts to stock, stale blues licks. Though no-one expects him to play as he did in his prime, it is quite sad, actually.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2023, 05:57:31 PM »
I was in Ålesund (Norway) and yes I heard the intro was not as on the album. It was the worst audience I have ever witnessed. It was so bad that he seemded to loose focus.
I love BiA, particulary the organ part towards the end. Most of the times I heard it, the organ part was in my opinion "destroyed" by Jim, but nobody talkes about that.
Indeed. Jim plays the organ part at the end of BIA very different. Not my cup of tea also.... I prefer the original part. But MK was using the band more and more on the last tour on parts of songs he normaly did with his guitar.

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2023, 06:00:49 PM »

Agree 100% with this and everything stated, especially the rarities and one-offs part.

If he was gonna do any more shows for the rest of his life, I hope they're gonna be Boothbay 2006 type of ones. There are so many underplayed and never played songs from his own and the Dire Straits catalogue, it's crazy.
I was thinking of a hypothetical concert not long ago, where Knopfler would play like a "post-pandemic concert with post-pandemic songs". I had Stand Up Guy, Don't Crash The Ambulance and Remembrance Day as possible candidates.

What's also kinda frustrating is that certain songs were only played on certain tours. For example, so many Golden Heart songs weren't played much since 1996, and even some non-GH songs from '96 weren't revisited since.

So many songs deserved to be dusted off one more time at least, even in massively rearranged fashion if must, I'd welcome it. Think of the number of songs. From Tunnel Of Love, Portobello Belle, Hand In Hand and Love Over Gold to Hard Shoulder, Devil Baby and One Song At A Time. Too many to mention.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2023, 06:11:22 PM »
Exactly, MK is perfectly capable of playing kind of Boothbay gigs, or like the middle part of his tours, specially the last one. MK has a long catalogue of songs that doesn't need him playing guitar like he used to play, the kind of rock ones, he could play a catalogue of more than two hours like that. And most of us will be happy with it. Most don't. Better for the ones that would be able to buy tickets with less competition!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 41 queries.