Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42758 times)

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2023, 09:31:06 AM »
The word is out. Guy just on his forum about the next tour...

Sadly we may well have already done our final tour.

That quote only confirms what we already knew!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2023, 07:14:37 PM »
These guys can’t go on forever, witness the sad sight of 79 year old Roger Daltry falling apart onstage

I hope I die before I get old…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2023, 02:00:35 AM »
I don't think "forever" is doable, but look at The Rolling Stones, for example. Or Ringo Starr. Or Bob Dylan. It's certainly possible to do good shows when you're 80 years old. Now, Mick Jagger at 80 is about as fit as MK at 55, so no wonder he had to stop sooner. I bet MK would've had another tour or two in him if he had looked after his body a bit more. I guess that'll be a lesson for all of us.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »
I don't think "forever" is doable, but look at The Rolling Stones, for example. Or Ringo Starr. Or Bob Dylan. It's certainly possible to do good shows when you're 80 years old. Now, Mick Jagger at 80 is about as fit as MK at 55, so no wonder he had to stop sooner. I bet MK would've had another tour or two in him if he had looked after his body a bit more. I guess that'll be a lesson for all of us.

Yes, look at Bob Dylan!  The last time I saw him live was when he was on tour with MK in 2011 in Manchester.  By the time he was on his fourth song people started leaving - he was so bad!    As for Mick Jagger, he looks ridiculous, still trying to look 19 when he is 80 and Keith can hardly play guitar these days because of his arthritic fingers.   I would hate Mark to end up like these.  I'm glad he has stopped touring, because he seems to have had some health issues over the last few years.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:05:57 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2023, 09:15:04 AM »
I just love all these assumptions people make about Marks health. Based on what? A view from a show seat 5 miles away from a stage, or youtube footage shot on a potato!

Perhaps Mark just wants to spend  his dotage with the people he loves, and in my eyes he's more than earnt that right....

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2023, 09:20:11 AM »

Yes, look at Bob Dylan!  The last time I saw him live was when he was on tour with MK in 2011 in Manchester.  By the time he was on his fourth song people started leaving - he was so bad!  I would hate that to happen to Mark.  As for Mick Jagger, he looks ridiculous, still trying to look 19 when he is 80 and Keith can hardly play guitar these days because of his arthritic fingers.   I would hate Mark to end up like these.  I'm glad he has stopped touring, because he seems to have had some health issues over the last few years.

In all fairness, Bob Dylan has miraculously developed a lot since 2011, especially vocally. Maybe he's not like he was when he was younger, but he sure sounds great these days, at least up until now. He has new tour dates for 2023 and he sounded great in 2021 and 2022. He also plays barely any hits, if any at all, plays exactly what he wants, mostly stuff from his latest album which is his best in a while. The shows have been pretty good. It's more focused on the lyrics probably than the music, at least on the recordings, but people who go to see him, who are "true" fans, they describe the shows as captivating and hypnotic, a mesmerizing experience.
I guarantee many of Dylan's contemporaries would love to be on his level.

I'm gonna hold myself back from more praise, as I hope I don't bring any bad luck to Bob going forward. At that age, minor issues can affect a lot.

I would like to say that, as for Mark, whatever I said previously (on this topic I believe) doesn't really matter. What matters most is how Mark feels at the end of the day. If he feels comfortable and safe touring and if he still loves to do it and wants to do it - that's all that matters and he should keep doing it.
Fans who go to see him want to see him enjoy himself at this stage of his career and life. That's something that you can't fake in front of an audience, they can see and recognize that.
And if the big tours are too much, just do shorter tours instead and do whatever you want.
I love Mark's taste in music, so I know no matter what he plays out there, I'm gonna feel a certain connection to it no matter what it is. As long as he enjoys it and it's evident in his body language and facial expressions, that's enough for me.
If those things are a stretch for him, then he shouldn't tour. It's okay.
I know that even with his worst physical appearance possible, Mark is still better than the most average person at his age. No one could possibly convince me otherwise.
Can't wait for the new album, I know it'll be a smash.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2023, 11:19:37 AM »
I just love all these assumptions people make about Marks health. Based on what? A view from a show seat 5 miles away from a stage, or youtube footage shot on a potato!

Perhaps Mark just wants to spend  his dotage with the people he loves, and in my eyes he's more than earnt that right....

I saw him in front row on various of his gigs and I clearly saw something was wrong with him. Maybe his health permanently, maybe something occasionally, but it was quite clear by his gestures, corporal movements, shake of hands, I even remember he kicked his face with the mic several times...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2023, 11:30:15 AM »

Yes, look at Bob Dylan!  The last time I saw him live was when he was on tour with MK in 2011 in Manchester.  By the time he was on his fourth song people started leaving - he was so bad!    As for Mick Jagger, he looks ridiculous, still trying to look 19 when he is 80 and Keith can hardly play guitar these days because of his arthritic fingers.   I would hate Mark to end up like these.  I'm glad he has stopped touring, because he seems to have had some health issues over the last few years.

Absolutely my thoughts!  :thumbsup Mark is a wise man and has always been.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2023, 11:39:22 AM »

I saw him in front row on various of his gigs and I clearly saw something was wrong with him. Maybe his health permanently, maybe something occasionally, but it was quite clear by his gestures, corporal movements, shake of hands, I even remember he kicked his face with the mic several times...

I look out my window and clearly see that the earth is flat...

What you withessed is not a basis for a medical diagnosis, let alone speculation about someone's health.

Time is so precious, something that perhaps we all realise too late. Mark may have decided that time away from home is no longer for him in his 70s.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:41:47 AM by 2manyguitars »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »

What you withessed is not a basis for a medical diagnosis, let alone speculation about someone's health.

Time is so precious, something that perhaps we all realise too late. Mark may have decided that time away from home is no longer for him in his 70s.

We do have an actual doctor on the forum, maybe they will chip in with a diagnosis. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »

Well I also agree with what jbaent said. I saw him during the 2019 tour and something was just not right. Trouble walking, shaking hands, shortness of breath, etc. You could argue that the Tracker tour lacked energy, for example, but at least there we saw Mark dancing during So Far Away, throwing his guitar in the air after the encores. That Mark was long gone in 2019.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2023, 02:25:19 PM »
A heavy cold would result in those symptoms....

What business of ours is it anyway?

It's Marks life, he can do what he wants ill or not.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2023, 03:27:16 PM »
It's Marks life, he can do what he wants ill or not.

Exactly. He's 73 and aging comes different for everyone.
It's not his fault if his hands are shaking or he looks sick (or something like that)
He probably is taking some medicines that makes him fat and makes his arms and fingers stuck.

I guess he has Parkinson. I have a relative with Parkinson and he has the same "problems' like MK.
Its sad. But it can be true.

He made his last tour in pain.
Anyone would had cancelled the tour.
Many artists, in same MK health conditions, would prefered to be retired.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2023, 08:44:41 PM »
I have to say I feel really uncomfortable talking about anyone's health issues as it's a very personal thing.  There is no doubt however that something is not quite right.  It 's all very grim.  I wonder if the accident in 2003 had any influence on it. Certainly robbed us of a tour now they have become so precious.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2023, 08:48:34 PM »
"I have to say I feel really uncomfortable talking about anyone's health issues as it's a very personal thing.

I have the same feelings.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.