Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42744 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2023, 01:19:02 AM »
For MFN, you once said "no complaint on this tour", dmg :)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2023, 08:11:33 AM »
Yes. There is always hope.

My only hope is that he has retired from touring to preserve his legacy!  I cannot believe a true fan wants him to carry on playing in public.  He isn't going to be playing any better than in 2019 and the degradation then from 2015 was horrific.
Horrific??
You yourself said that MFN and BIA were best ever, almost on par with the BIA tour.
WAM was one the best ever with the brassies.
STP was also the best ever.
SAN was still very well played, with crazy solo, at least some nights.
OUATITW and SB (ok, sadly dropped after a while) were great surprises.
New songs My Bacon Roll and Matchstick man were very touching and well played.
Yes, some essential songs (Sultans, HFB...) were missing. But what was played was well played, I enjoyed it tremendously!

MFN really got the crowd going but it was poorly played throughout the tour. 
OUATITW calypso version now sounds just lazy with Mark playing a couple of licks at the end before handing over to John or Tom.
WAM was quite good but not as good as 2008 versions.
STP I really couldn't care less about.
Bacon Roll and MM were boring, especially his long story about hitch-hiking!
SAN was a nervy 8 minutes or so just hoping he'd nail it tonight.
R&J was awful.  His voice is shot now on all songs but it's especially noticeable here and the final solo seems a real task for him.

Overall I thought his playing was lazy, slack, had far more mistakes than usual and also his vocal has completely gone.  All that with a setlist chosen because it has far fewer solos than usual and a brass band to back him up.  Yet people want him to play shows 4-5 years later!
I generally agree with you on this one, but the long story about hitch-hiking was great. It displayed his storytelling abilites and allowed him to contact with the audience a bit more than usual.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #197 on: July 02, 2023, 08:46:37 AM »
@ dmg -   I am one of the fans who do not want MK to tour again - so, I am in agreement with you that his legacy should be preserved.   I enjoyed all of the concerts I attended in 2019, especially Leeds and Verona which I thought were both excellent and I haven't changed my mind on that at all.   I just want to remember those concerts as a fitting end to his touring days and the feeling that he ended on a high.  Afterall, what more could a loyal fan want for their hero?  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #198 on: July 02, 2023, 05:57:26 PM »

Really?  Since my old posts from 4 years back are being researched am I seriously expected to reserve my opinions from now on so that I can properly evaluate them in a retrospective manner instead of being impulsive?  Everyone is entitled to change their mind.

Anyway, that doesn't sound like me to say something positive about a live show.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 06:04:52 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #199 on: July 02, 2023, 10:22:20 PM »
Seems like the last tour was really bad for some of you....... Okay,  not as good as it was before. Some off the guitar parts was now done by the brass section but it the end i love the concerts. And by the looks of it also the crowd. I think he is still capable of doing some concerts with good rehearsels. But in the end it's up to MK to decide. Guy wanted to go on i think and he works with him everyday. Don't you think after 40 years working together he would have said something to MK like it would be best to stop or something like that. They are close. Was it not jbeant who said here that there were people close to MK who wanted him to tour again.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2023, 10:36:17 PM »
I think this whole thing is about expectations. In recent times If you went to a MK gig expecting to hear blazing fast solos done with consummate ease you'd be disappointed. 

Maybe these expectations have an impact on MK himself.

Doesn't feel right without playing my twiddly bits' was the MK quote or something similar.

Personally I would probably pay to watch MK belch the national anthem blindfold! Although I'm sure we'd moan about the brass section  :)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2023, 11:42:41 PM »

Really?  Since my old posts from 4 years back are being researched am I seriously expected to reserve my opinions from now on so that I can properly evaluate them in a retrospective manner instead of being impulsive?  Everyone is entitled to change their mind.

Anyway, that doesn't sound like me to say something positive about a live show.  ;)

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=7046.0

See reply #4 😜

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2023, 12:06:47 AM »
I did about 35 shows last tour. They got better in time. Watch the entire MSG New York show at the moment. What a concert it was.

I would travel the world again if he would do a concert.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2023, 12:44:00 AM »
"I would travel the world again if he would do a concert"

Me too.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2023, 11:32:14 AM »

See reply #4 😜

I've deleted it.  Once you've listened to more concerts, listened more often and had chance to compare them, then one is better placed to form a more realistic opinion.  That only comes over time.

From what I've observed the opening riff was always a worry and he appeared to struggle to do the lyrics and play at the same time.  The solos were not bad though.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2023, 11:42:25 AM »

See reply #4 😜

I've deleted it.  Once you've listened to more concerts, listened more often and had chance to compare them, then one is better placed to form a more realistic opinion.  That only comes over time.

From what I've observed the opening riff was always a worry and he appeared to struggle to do the lyrics and play at the same time.  The solos were not bad though.

dmg - If there were no recordings available, you would still have the memory of wonderful concerts you attended  in your mind.    Recordings are a double-edged sword!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2023, 11:53:17 AM »

See reply #4 😜

How extreme ! Your first impression is always the best ! :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »

See reply #4 😜

Exactly!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2023, 01:10:18 PM »

See reply #4 😜

But a complete fallacy.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »

See reply #4 😜

dmg - If there were no recordings available, you would still have the memory of wonderful concerts you attended  in your mind.    Recordings are a double-edged sword!    ;)

Maybe, but I always get carried away when I return from shows, almost like an excited child with his Christmas presents! 😂

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.