Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42694 times)

OfflineRockinCat

• Guitar George
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #390 on: February 19, 2024, 06:16:30 PM »
I was in the front row at the Met (Philadelphia) show in August 2019.  I did not see MK struggling around the stage.  He looked good.  He played great.  He seemed to be having fun.  He hinted that it would be his last tour.  While I will miss seeing him, I respect his decision.  I do wonder if he will play some one off gigs in London at some point.   
It's gonna be a beautiful year

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2024, 06:36:51 PM »
I would say that playing live is over in any way, sadly.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2024, 06:38:34 PM »
The 2019 tour was OK, but I have never seen Mark so static, and he's not exactly known for jumping about the stage. It seemed to me that he was having back issues.

Playing-wise, well, the Youtube videos are there for anyone to see. Sometimes good, at times less so. Most of the fast or complex material had been ditched.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2024, 07:07:07 PM »
The 2019 tour was OK, but I have never seen Mark so static, and he's not exactly known for jumping about the stage. It seemed to me that he was having back issues.

Playing-wise, well, the Youtube videos are there for anyone to see. Sometimes good, at times less so. Most of the fast or complex material had been ditched.

He was more static in 2010 :)

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2024, 07:08:21 PM »

He was more static in 2010 :)

I think he may have moved more on the bench in 2010, than without bench in 2019. In 2015 he was swinging his hips to So Far Away

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2024, 10:31:19 PM »

Listened to Going Home from one of the RAH shows earlier and sadly it sounded like an amateur.  Really I wish the 2019 tour hadn't gone ahead.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2024, 07:06:35 AM »

Listened to Going Home from one of the RAH shows earlier and sadly it sounded like an amateur.  Really I wish the 2019 tour hadn't gone ahead.
Well, it was a live tour, not a YouTube tour. And the live tour was great. I was actually there and enjoyed it enormously. You can’t jugde a live tour by watching YouTube videos. They don’t capture the live experience at all. Even the pro live recordings don’t do liveshows total justice.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2024, 09:00:27 AM »

Well, it was a live tour, not a YouTube tour. And the live tour was great. I was actually there and enjoyed it enormously. You can’t jugde a live tour by watching YouTube videos. They don’t capture the live experience at all. Even the pro live recordings don’t do liveshows total justice.

Amen to that. I only ever get to see one show per tour. Go to the RAH. In 2019 we sat behind the stage in the choir seats which gave a unique perspective to the band and behind the scenes.
I missed Sultans and Telegraph Road (and Marbletown too) but I enjoyed the show immensely. Why Aye Mab and Postcards From Paraguay were immense.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2024, 10:12:17 AM »

DMG was actually there as well, I saw him with my own eyes!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2024, 10:18:20 AM »

DMG was actually there as well, I saw him with my own eyes!
I didn’t say he wasn’t Just that he shouldn’t let YouTube ruin the real deal.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2024, 10:50:22 AM »
Just for fun I went and looked at DMG's post from 2019.

It's funny what time does to our thoughts. :)

Reading on whats app group that there is no running to the the bulls thanks to security. :thumbsdown

Correct.  Mark made a comment early in the show about the security being strange watching the audience but they remained in place throughout the show.

It didn't spoil what was an excellent concert tonight though.  Mark was in top form - really attacking the guitar and turning back the years.  It looked quite effortless for him tonight.  Even his vocal was quite aggressive at moments tonight.  I like when he performs like this! 

Tonight was quite emotional for me because my first show was next door at the old venue, the SECC, back in 1991 and tonight I decided to wear my OES badge (sentimental fool that I am).  Of course he only went and played OES tonight, the first time I have heard it live since 1991.  I feel it completes a circle for me if this is to be the last one.  I don't mind telling you all that I shed a tear after Piper but damn those security for not allowing us down to the front.

I did manage to spot Dusty on my way out and went over for an all too brief chat before rushing for my train.  Great to see him again and hopefully not for the last time.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2024, 05:15:12 PM »
I was underwhelmed in 2019 and remember thinking that it was a far cry from a decade earlier.  :think

Anyway, it is a shame that he can't at least do some songs in a small venue. That would have been nice at this stage.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2024, 05:26:25 PM »
Just for fun I went and looked at DMG's post from 2019.

It's funny what time does to our thoughts. :)

Reading on whats app group that there is no running to the the bulls thanks to security. :thumbsdown

Correct.  Mark made a comment early in the show about the security being strange watching the audience but they remained in place throughout the show.

It didn't spoil what was an excellent concert tonight though.  Mark was in top form - really attacking the guitar and turning back the years.  It looked quite effortless for him tonight.  Even his vocal was quite aggressive at moments tonight.  I like when he performs like this! 

Tonight was quite emotional for me because my first show was next door at the old venue, the SECC, back in 1991 and tonight I decided to wear my OES badge (sentimental fool that I am).  Of course he only went and played OES tonight, the first time I have heard it live since 1991.  I feel it completes a circle for me if this is to be the last one.  I don't mind telling you all that I shed a tear after Piper but damn those security for not allowing us down to the front.

I did manage to spot Dusty on my way out and went over for an all too brief chat before rushing for my train.  Great to see him again and hopefully not for the last time.

Yes, one enjoys travelling, meeting up, taking in the atmosphere and enjoying the overall experience.  It can make people get a little carried away with the quality of the actual concerts themselves.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2024, 07:07:17 PM »
I just think your ear can be a bit less critical in a show, as the songs fly by.
I saw McCartney play his 'secret' show the night before his Glastonbury appearance.
I was aware of his voice situation and wasn't expecting much. In the end I really enjoyed it, partly because he and the band put on a great show, and partly because the people around me were freaking out about it so much.
The next night I watched the Glastonbury set and Paul's vocals seemed quite poor.
I think with a nice, quite loud PA and some excellent musicians, you can enjoy a Knopfler show in person much more than on video or Youtube.

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #404 on: February 20, 2024, 08:03:09 PM »
I just think your ear can be a bit less critical in a show, as the songs fly by.
I saw McCartney play his 'secret' show the night before his Glastonbury appearance.
I was aware of his voice situation and wasn't expecting much. In the end I really enjoyed it, partly because he and the band put on a great show, and partly because the people around me were freaking out about it so much.
The next night I watched the Glastonbury set and Paul's vocals seemed quite poor.
I think with a nice, quite loud PA and some excellent musicians, you can enjoy a Knopfler show in person much more than on video or Youtube.

Wholeheartedly agree with you Chris, in my opinion there is/was nothing better than hearing 'The master' Live and I look back with much fondness at all of the many shows I've been to.
Even the 2019 Live shows were good in retrospect  purely because of the atmosphere although I don't personally listen back to any of the recordings much now.

To me it was like dmg has already said, it was the travelling to, meet ups with fellow AMITers, the build up
and then the show itself!  These fantastic memories will live on....That said, I've been lucky to see MK in more personal  shows - Hay on Wye, Chalk Valley and Bridport Arts Centre and although the music does not have the volume of a large show it was in these three shows the fact of having MK playing in the smaller venues that was amazing....of course meeting MK afterwards at Bridport was the 'icing on the cake' for me!

As for you tube concert recordings - nah!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:14:41 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.