Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Overall best performed live composition / best band execution of a MK song?  (Read 2613 times)

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
What is your take on this ?
I do not mean what your favourite live song is. I am thinking more specifically of what you think is the very best live composition of any MK song, combined with the best live execution by the band members ?
What comes to my mind is this one:

Not my absolute favourite live song, but the live composition and execution is absolutely awesome, simply done to perfection in my ears. Whether MK´s guitar, Matt Rollings piano or the fiddle by Stuart Duncan. They just all fall together at a higher level.   

I am not a musician or audiophile, so I cant hear the mistakes (if there is any). These kind of tracks should be played loud on a good surround system ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:32:23 PM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I agree. This "Our Shangri-La" recording is absolute perfection and comes to mind when thinking of a perfect live performance. And a perfect rhythm section at that.

A simple organ/piano intro with quiet drums and dreamy "The Shadows" inspired guitar, then a verse with the second voice getting a bit louder and including more instruments, then the bridge to break up the repeats of verses, the solo getting even louder with ride cymbals, to a verse with the snare drum that leads to the best 2-chord outro I ever heard. Every musician shines in this arrangement, the pacing is perfect.

Another one I would mention is "Golden Heart", the album version because I'm positive it's the one-take live recording of the song, and a perfect arrangement.

A lot of DS tracks could go in that category... Romeo, Tunnel, Brothers. But that's such big songs you sort of assume they are perfect and take it for granted.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
I miss Matt Rollings' playing. I sometimes play the Real Live Roadrunning album only to listen to his Romeo and Juliet intro.
In this specific case of Our Shangri-La, I also love the violin interaction during the outro.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
I miss Matt Rollings' playing. I sometimes play the Real Live Roadrunning album only to listen to his Romeo and Juliet intro.
In this specific case of Our Shangri-La, I also love the violin interaction during the outro.

Me too. Matt Rollings has a very special touch on the piano, very sensitive playing. I still enjoy the Roadrunning DVD, everything seemed to be perfect. Mark was in a fine voice and his playing superb. The Duett outro with Richard on "I Dug Up A Diamond" is marvelous. I had the pleasure to see Mark and Emmy live in Frankfurt in 2006. It was great!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
"I had the pleasure to see Mark and Emmy live in Frankfurt in 2006. It was great!

I was in Hamburg 28.05.2006 and it was great too  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:10:38 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
"I had the pleasure to see Mark and Emmy live in Frankfurt in 2006. It was great!

I was in Hamburg 28.05.2006 and it was great too  :)

:thumbsup  :wave
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

MK on fire  :thumbsup

OnlineVesper

• Lady writer
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

2005 versions of TR never disappoint!

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

Thanks for sharing, - WOW I will have to look at home if I have this version as Soundboard. Even though it is mostly his solos it is fantastic. The drums are spot on. He looks at times like he is in a sort of trance almost   :D
Cheers Peter

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

Thanks for sharing, - WOW I will have to look at home if I have this version as Soundboard. Even though it is mostly his solos it is fantastic. The drums are spot on. He looks at times like he is in a sort of trance almost   :D

...I never find sounboard of this night in official downloads in 2005...

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

A soundboard of Madrid 2005? Where did you find that?

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

YES! This is the best TR ever.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
Telegraph Road
live in Madrid
2nd April 2005

A soundboard of Madrid 2005? Where did you find that?

I did not say I have it, I said I would see if I had one.  :D
Apparantly after reading the comments, it is probably not available as SB.
Cheers Peter

OfflineChrisGlastonbury

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
I think Done with Bonaparte is much better on the Live Roadrunning album than Golden Heart. Has a much more authentic feel.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
I think Done with Bonaparte is much better on the Live Roadrunning album than Golden Heart. Has a much more authentic feel.

Any live version is better than the album version of that song. I don’t dislike the original but it “sparkles” so much more when done live. 2005 wasn’t amazing-much better with a violin.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 37 queries.