Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler Tour 2011  (Read 204895 times)

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
Re: Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler Tour 2011
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »
This article was in Thursdays Irish Independent - maybe she forgot that she gave the interview in th efirst place ::) ::)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sinead-makes-plea-to-bob-dylan-let-me-sing-with-you-2864336.html

I will never as long as I live, consider appearing on the late late show again[/b]. And I might add that no apology or act of respect has been issued by either the presenter of the show, nor any one in a leading position on the show. I am tired of all this 'sinead is crazy' crap. Its a disgrace. It has caused me enormous pain in my life as an artist and has many times led me to consider ending my life. Thankfully I have four beautiful reasons not to. Those are my precious children. But no woman should have to walk around feeling like someone has driven a tree through her heart.I can honestly say that is how I felt since my conversation with the Late Late researcher

Hmmmmm - move forward to Friday night :disbelief :disbelief

There is a link to MK though - she has a child with Donal Lunny who was on the "A night in London" dvd & the Golden Heart album.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:56:21 PM by Waterline Man »
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #451 on: September 05, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »
any announcement yet??
Is it not too late to expect something   ???

I dont know what they are waiting for...
I don't know what WE are waiting for ...  ??? :-[ :-\

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #452 on: September 05, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »
London shows? Check out this listing:-

http://venues.meanfiddler.com/apollo/full-listings/?tickets_search_value=&tickets_view_type=list&tickets_search_date=2011-11

Note that is a run of 4 free dates in the right spot - a couple of days after the two Swiss shows and before Thanksgiving in the United States. This would give Dylan, his band and the American musicians in Mark's band time to get home for their traditional family get-togethers. A couple of shows could be fitted in easily.

It would also allow a bit of r'n'r time beforehand - either rest and relaxation in London or a bit of musical r'n'r together in the studio if the chemistry were right.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #453 on: September 06, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
I know it's London but the closer we get to the tour kick-off the less confident I am regarding London shows. ???

What makes me keep hoping is that I clearly recognize PCM's touch in the tour organization.
These people always a have trouble to release the last dates. 
Usually nobody really cares because who would care if French, Swiss, Italian or Spanish dates are released weeks or months later ? Or never.
London : that's unusual and surprising (and unfair !).

My theory is Bob didn't need to do London, he already played in London this year. Done. Next stop London is in 2013.
Of course, different story for MK :  London dates are the most important ones.
I think MK tries to convince Bob to add the London dates and if not possible maybe he could do it alone.  ;D 

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #454 on: September 06, 2011, 03:31:52 PM »
As I said before, it is very difficult to envisage Dylan doing a European tour like this without doing at least one London show (and maybe two or three).

In terms of holding back the announcement of London dates, it makes prefect business sense - first you sell as many tickets as possible for the provincial (and continental) shows and, only after a delay to allow that to happen, do you put the London shows on sale. Maybe that's not fair to the fans but I can certainly see the logic in doing it that way. I can't answer for MK fans but I feel pretty sure that some Dylan fans, having bought tickets for the other shows, will still stump up the cash for the London show or shows, once they're announced.  It spreads the pain of paying those ticket prices, too.

In fact, the delay between announcing the main body of the tour and (assuming it happens) announcing the London show(s) only strengthens my belief that there will not be just one show in London but more than one. One show in London, particularly in the venue I cited, would sell pretty well, come what may. A second or third show would be more of a problem - hence the delay in announcing the London show(s).  I've already earmarked the money for tickets to three shows. We shall see. Only time will tell.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #455 on: September 06, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »
Thanx twm for your comment. Gonna change my way of thinking.  ;)
Usually MK has the opposite logic. He sets UK, London and Germany first, rest of Europe comes later without any fair.
They clearly make you feel you're not their priority.  >:(

London or no London, I have to say I like Bob's strategy. This tour is a dream.
A nice big surprise, I can really save money, I have a hometown show (never have with MK), Bob plays in big cities with airports on Saturdays, it's easy to travel, you can book in advance.
What else can I say ? 8) 
Ok it's not easy and not fair for London people (I know exactly how they feel  :-[), but I would love to be in a similar situation : high chances of many upcoming shows.  ::)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #456 on: September 07, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
I really don't see what is "unfair" for London people. They have every acts playing and they most probably will have this one too and maybe several nights.

Even if for once this will be a late announcement for londoners they still get a first class treatment.

Never had the chance to see DS / MK play less than 150 miles from home meaning big bucks each time. But I get fast train or plane to London and motorway as well, could be worse...

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #457 on: September 07, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
I really don't see what is "unfair" for London people. They have every acts playing and they most probably will have this one too and maybe several nights.

Even if for once this will be a late announcement for londoners they still get a first class treatment.

Never had the chance to see DS / MK play less than 150 miles from home meaning big bucks each time. But I get fast train or plane to London and motorway as well, could be worse...

Today's situation is : no date in London. Even if there is 99% chances to have 3-4 shows vs 1% to have nothing in London, you can only speculate, pray, imagine and buy tickets for somewhere else.
I don't think it's nice and fair to let people spend money in travel expenses if you know you're going in their town.
What I call fair is to release all the dates at the same time and let people organize themselves. 

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #458 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
I agree with Tunnel85, its unfair to release dates little by little, because you have to plan not only to purchase the tickets, but planes, hotels, holydays etc etc

I have an example that affected myself. When MK toured with Emmylou Harris, it was no date in Spain when the anouncement was made. Then, me and a very numerous group of friends decided to go to Dublin. We purchased the tickets, booked the flights, hotels and arranged the free days we needed at work. Then later, a date in Spain was released. After all the money spent, all the plans made, a date in Spain was anounced...

My answer was "go to hell", I ignored that date at all, it was very very unfair, so I decided to act if that date didnt exist. As far as I recall, I was free for that concert, but I refused to attend it.

And Dublin, was a very very great experience!!!!!  ;)

When the MK & BD dates were released, everything looked so similar that I decided to do the same, choose the more convenient date and ignore any future date. And thats what I did.

But any of you waiting for the London dates, hey, you have to go, its the Alchemy venue, its magic. I know, I attended a Toto show there in 2006  :D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »
But any of you waiting for the London dates, hey, you have to go, its the Alchemy venue, its magic. I know, I attended a Toto show there in 2006  :D

jbaent, I am eagerly awaiting the London dates!    I just wish they would announce them soon, so we can book our hotel and train!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #460 on: September 08, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »
As I indicated before, the question of fairness to fans is but a small factor here and is not therefore of paramount importance. Touring is a business and the aim is to maximise ticket sales. That is not the same as saying that tour promoters, artists' managers and venue operators set out to inconvenience fans as a deliberate policy. Of course not.  From their perspective, it is an entirely rational  approach.  From our perspective, their approach is explicable.  In short, I'm not trying to justify their approach but to explain it.

And in terms of London getting more concerts by more performers than other parts of Britain, then that is not only self-evident but also entirely explicable. London is the capital city and the biggest conurbation in the country. I say this as a Londoner who, currently and for the last quarter of a century, has lived almost as far from London as it is possible to be and still be in England (almost on the Scottish border). It is not just concerts but theatre, art exhibitions and similar cultural events that are centred in London. If you want to attend these (or at least some of these), then you have to make a concious decision to go and do it. The odd thing is that, quite often, it is our friends and family in the London area who miss out on them. Because they are so close to the scene and live busy lives, they procrastinate (the "I'll do it next weekend" syndrome) and then it slips their minds and the chance has gone. As you indicate, we have to clear the space in our diaries in advance, book the travel and arrange the accommodation. Once that's done, you're committed and get on and do it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:15:52 AM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #461 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
it is a business, loads of people need to live from it (and i do not mean the artists in this case) will you go to Ikea and tell them it is not fair that they sell their hotdogs for 1pound (i know crappy comparison, but it was the first thing that came up) but you have to put the sauce and pickles on it yourself?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #462 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
it is a business, loads of people need to live from it (and i do not mean the artists in this case) will you go to Ikea and tell them it is not fair that they sell their hotdogs for 1pound (i know crappy comparison, but it was the first thing that came up) but you have to put the sauce and pickles on it yourself?
Of course it's a business. Like in every business you have a customer vs seller situation. The customer is the one who pays... No one is obliged to buy tickets, it's only entertainment but sometimes you'd like the process to be smoother.
I like your your camparison.  No pickles and no sauce for me please.  ;D

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #463 on: September 08, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »
I have just caught up with the good Doc's comments and one stood out for me after someone asked if practice for the upcoming tour should have started...the Docs reply was no - we dont need much practice...

Now i know these chaps can pretty much turn their hand to any of the DS/MK back catalogue instantly - but to me for there not to be much practice needed suggests the set list will be Get Lucky highlights....surely if some new tunes were being dusted off - more practice would be needed?  As we all know how much MK is a stickler for perfection...!
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #464 on: September 08, 2011, 01:45:20 PM »
No practice needed because the equation is simple : short setlist and same core songs played anyway (SOS, R&J, WII, DWB, ....). The only "new" material could be MFN, maybe one new song or one old DS or early solo Mk back in the game. No need to practice a lot.  ;)
I wouldn't blame the band if there's no change because I really liked the GL tour. Furthermore, having a setlist ready to be played is certainly one of the reasons why they could "easily" join Bob on tour.   

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.