Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler Tour 2011  (Read 203000 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler Tour 2011
« Reply #540 on: October 15, 2011, 08:50:38 PM »
There's a story of Dylan being in the recording studio and a fairly high up music biz person giving a lengthy speech about how great Dylan was and all his accomplishments to which Dylan responded by walking past him without a word and getting on an exercise bike.  Nice?  Maybe not, but he's clearly a private person and one who doesn't care for chit chat.  That's his right as it's yours or mine, and I'm sure that's why he usually walks in the door minutes before the show and walks off the stage and into his bus.  There's also no reason to assume ANY bands on the same bill hang out, eat, travel, lodge or socialize together.  From what little I know of the music business that's a bit of a fan fantasy - most especially when the performers are all older guys, bona fide pros of any sort, much less ones with decades of success as both Mark and Bob have had.

If Mark was offended by the "note" or whatever it was, presumably he wouldn't have shown up to play.

Yes, but back to Guy's diaries.  MK and the band do socialize, in restaurants, etc with others on the tour.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #541 on: October 15, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »

If Mark was offended by the "note" or whatever it was, presumably he wouldn't have shown up to play.

No way MK
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #542 on: October 15, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
MK on stage with Bob courtesy of ER:

http://i53.tinypic.com/rit10p.jpg

Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #543 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »

Great, I hope some audio and/or video recordings surface soon  :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »

lol, just posted that same pic in the bournemouth thread..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

BigWheelTurning

« Reply #545 on: October 16, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »
If you invite someone as a special guest to a party, you don't just ignore them, do you!   That would be very bad manners imo.  

Absolutely agree. To be honest, the whole "OMG Bob is a legend, if I smile at him and he decides to ignore me that's fine because well he is Bob" thing is starting to annoy me. And for me, all the explanations are lame excuses, sorry. Legend or not, he is a human being and should be aware of the term politeness. Full stop.

Dylan has been living with other people's (often unrealistic) expectations of him since the early '60's- every utterance of his was subjected to intense scrutiny, the protest movement expected his songs to change the world- not just the musical world as they did, but actually change society. At the same time, Dylan faced harsh criticism, often from these same fans when he changed artistic direction-"going electric" at the Newport folk festival in '65 provoked howls of outrage from the folkies who complained he was too loud and they couldn't make out the words (sound familiar?); producing a softer country sound in the late 60's upset those who liked the "classic electric" sound; and as for the gospel tours, that put him beyond the pale for some.
So on the one hand, unrealistically high expectations, on the other criticism if you change- is it any wonder the guy has put up barriers, for his own self preservation if nothing else? And maybe if you've been living behind barriers for so long, it can be difficult to come out from behind them. None of us has had to live with the sort of scrutiny that Dylan lives under. If the people who are on tour with him are happy to cut him some slack so am I.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #546 on: October 16, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
If you invite someone as a special guest to a party, you don't just ignore them, do you!   That would be very bad manners imo. 

Absolutely agree. To be honest, the whole "OMG Bob is a legend, if I smile at him and he decides to ignore me that's fine because well he is Bob" thing is starting to annoy me. And for me, all the explanations are lame excuses, sorry. Legend or not, he is a human being and should be aware of the term politeness. Full stop.

Dylan has been living with other people's (often unrealistic) expectations of him since the early '60's- every utterance of his was subjected to intense scrutiny, the protest movement expected his songs to change the world- not just the musical world as they did, but actually change society. At the same time, Dylan faced harsh criticism, often from these same fans when he changed artistic direction-"going electric" at the Newport folk festival in '65 provoked howls of outrage from the folkies who complained he was too loud and they couldn't make out the words (sound familiar?); producing a softer country sound in the late 60's upset those who liked the "classic electric" sound; and as for the gospel tours, that put him beyond the pale for some.
So on the one hand, unrealistically high expectations, on the other criticism if you change- is it any wonder the guy has put up barriers, for his own self preservation if nothing else? And maybe if you've been living behind barriers for so long, it can be difficult to come out from behind them. None of us has had to live with the sort of scrutiny that Dylan lives under. If the people who are on tour with him are happy to cut him some slack so am I.
well said.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #548 on: October 16, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #550 on: October 16, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »
Also "Knopfler...........then walked off stage"     As though he went off in a huff!   ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #551 on: October 16, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
Also "Knopfler...........then walked off stage"     As though he went off in a huff!   ::)

LOL....how else is he supposed to get off stage?!!
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

Rollergirl

« Reply #552 on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

fly  ;D

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #553 on: October 16, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »

fly  ;D

At least he didn't limp off stage :)
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #554 on: October 16, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/bob-dylan-in-national/bob-dylan-set-list-bournemouth-international-centre-england-october-14-2011

Interesting they quote a post from our forum  ;D
So, did Bob really play "Blind Willie McTell" - without MK??

Yeah, hopefully Pottel feels this restores some respect for AMIT after the poor setlist showings. :)

One thing all this "interaction" with ER has shown is that AMIT is THE definitive MK forum now. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 41 queries.