Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 590136 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1890 on: October 22, 2021, 01:38:37 PM »
"When my kids were little..."  Okay, we believe you.  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #1891 on: October 22, 2021, 01:58:10 PM »
What about the musical Local Hero ?

I encourage you to ask Guy in his forum. Looks like i'm the only one asking, so the only one who cares. Maybe is needed that we show more interest on this in his forum?

Please do it!

Maybe I'll try :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1892 on: October 22, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »
When my kids were little I used to watch the main actress from the Local Hero musical on TV a lot.

Well helllooooo!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1893 on: October 23, 2021, 11:18:20 AM »
Mark could do an instrumental cover of an ABBA song if he wanted to, not singing though. Mike Oldfield has covered ABBA's Arrival on his album QE2. Benny & Bjorn are amazing song writers and musicians, I asked Guy if they had met them, and it seems like they have!! Agnetha and Frida are 2 of the greatest singers ever. Don't forget Guy had written for Frida too.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #1894 on: October 23, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
I don’t mind a bit of Abba. I like their song “our last summer” quite a lot. As a teacher by trade, I find their song “When I Kissed the Teacher” a weird and creepy title.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1895 on: October 24, 2021, 12:04:43 AM »
Mark could do an instrumental cover of an ABBA song if he wanted to, not singing though. Mike Oldfield has covered ABBA's Arrival on his album QE2. Benny & Bjorn are amazing song writers and musicians, I asked Guy if they had met them, and it seems like they have!! Agnetha and Frida are 2 of the greatest singers ever. Don't forget Guy had written for Frida too.

What did he write?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1896 on: October 24, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »

Phil mcgarrick, who I follow on YT has done some really excellent ABBA Instrumentals all in a Shadows/Hank style....

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvhFslBIpUKWl5J8TjNAjFTFJmgw9iLjD

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1897 on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:22 AM »

What did he write?
Guy 'co-wrote' the title track from her album 'Shine'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shine_(Frida_album)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1898 on: October 24, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »
You beat me to it:

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1899 on: October 24, 2021, 10:45:23 AM »
That may have been his uncle?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1900 on: October 24, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
It's not, I have asked Guy, and he confirmed it's him.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #1901 on: October 26, 2021, 09:41:54 AM »

Phil mcgarrick, who I follow on YT has done some really excellent ABBA Instrumentals all in a Shadows/Hank style....

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvhFslBIpUKWl5J8TjNAjFTFJmgw9iLjD

Thanks for mentioning him. I hadn’t come across the channel before. Very similar to Dave Monk (with the channel old guitar monkey) who I’m sure you’ve come across before. Lots of Hank Marvin influenced sounds. While they are both very good players, I think I prefer Dave Monk’s song choices a bit more. I had a listen to a few of Phil’s songs and don’t think they all work for solo guitar. Piano Man is one of my favourite songs ever and to be honest, I don’t think it works on electric guitar.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1902 on: October 26, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
Glad you enjoyed some of Phil's tracks. Personally I have listened to Mr Monk but I prefer Phil's playing to Dave's....both very good I hasten to add

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #1903 on: October 26, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
Glad you enjoyed some of Phil's tracks. Personally I have listened to Mr Monk but I prefer Phil's playing to Dave's....both very good I hasten to add

They’re both excellent players. I’m not enough of a guitar player to differentiate who is better. They both have nice instruments and loads of talent.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1904 on: October 26, 2021, 10:57:43 AM »

They’re both excellent players. I’m not enough of a guitar player to differentiate who is better. They both have nice instruments and loads of talent.

I agree they are both very good players but again its Phil's phrasing and consistent use of 'Hammer ons' I really enjoy - his playing is very reminiscent of Hanks...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.