Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 349596 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1365 on: April 16, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
Not like, let's say, Bon Jovi, which some of their members end bad between them but they went all of them and played together for just one off...

What a loosers...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1366 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »
I feel so sorry for all the Bon Jovi, Moody blues and The Cars fans that had to suffer the embarrassment of seeing the bands playing together again...

Poor souls.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1367 on: April 16, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »
I feel so sorry for all the Bon Jovi, Moody blues and The Cars fans that had to suffer the embarrassment of seeing the bands playing together again...

Poor souls.

If they buy into all the hype then fine.  It clearly isn't Mark's thing - never has been. 

Don't feel left out because we never got a performance, always be thankful for what we've got.   :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #1368 on: April 16, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
Mark did not say a word. Nothing. But perhaps silence speaks more than any words ... Guy Fletcher's words are also important: "The evening was emotionally charged for the three of us and I'm so glad we were able to be there and experience what was a fantastic show"
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1369 on: April 16, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
He was hardly going to come out and say it was crap.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1370 on: April 16, 2018, 10:43:54 PM »
A fan is nobody for you. He's not a friend, he's not a family member, he merely likes that you do and that's all. I think some money-related things like buying tickets/CDs/memorabilia/instruments/whatever could lead to a conclusion, that he (or she) owes you something. But this is just an illusion! So Mark doesn't need to "love" his fans, because he's not supposed to.

I can't agree with this. I think it's a mutual thing. Yes, for example Mark does what he wants to do artistically (certainly does at this time of his career and perhaps always has or maybe not) but without fans things get complicated. What's the difference between a rehearsal and a concert? Fans. Does Mark like to play live. He does. Why? Take away those fans and it's just a rehearsal. Would he tour empty venues for months? Not even for a week if he could do it for free.

Fans are even more important at the beginning of ones career. Fans, audience, call it whatever you want.

Now imagine a fresh artist, a talented one if you want, doing what he loves doing best, he was dreaming about making a living as a musician but it's at this point in his career that he really for the first time realized that he could perhaps actually make it. And ask him how he feels about fans. Are they nobody for him? Artists are getting a lot more from fans, not just money.

But even if it was just money and nothing else there is a huge difference between a successful career of a certain artist because he was understood and appreciated while he was still alive and made tons of money in the process and another artist that was perhaps even better than the first yet was totally not understood and not appreciated for what he was and had to die miserable, poor and alone only for the world to realize  posthumously what it was all about. Poe, Dickinson, Monet, Kafka, van Gogh and even Bach in a certain way. To name just a few of the well known ones. They had no fans!  :wave

(Bach had fans, but only as an organist, not composer, and probably didn't die miserable, poor and alone)
There is no big difference when it comes to Mark i believe, "he just got "lucky" " (if one consider the money and the fans for the measure of success  :'(). The similar themes go through the so many of his songs, 38 special, skydiver, in the gallery, money for nothing, after the beanstalk, ragpicker's dream, in the sky - are just few that come into my mind at first (he always took a fancy to the ones...) think of local hero, well just listen to his songs! Songs would have found the way anyhow!, or if you like vice versa "the way" would have found these Songs if it there had been different circumstances. Yes, the funs also do their part indeed, they come and go, to crash and foam and creap away (what can your praise really be worth?).
Only songs remain, it's all about the song, song is the king, art not the artist;.  ;)
...and always broke, not that they ever cared! so they called it Dire Straits!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:48:44 PM by Stanko »
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineDS

• Local Hero
« Reply #1371 on: April 16, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
People are strange. In the comments on mk.com someone says that he's very disappointed and will never listen his music again  :lol

I thought I would have been disappointed but, after seeing what happened at the HoF, I'm actually happy he didn't show up.
Could he have handled it better? For sure. But the comments on the website are going a bit too far in my opinion.
Tracker - Lucca 2015
DTRW - Lucca 2019

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1372 on: April 17, 2018, 12:54:05 AM »

Poor souls.

If they buy into all the hype then fine.  It clearly isn't Mark's thing - never has been. 

:thumbsup

Don't feel left out because we never got a performance, always be thankful for what we've got.   :)
Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #1373 on: April 17, 2018, 06:30:09 AM »
People are strange. In the comments on mk.com someone says that he's very disappointed and will never listen his music again  :lol

I thought I would have been disappointed but, after seeing what happened at the HoF, I'm actually happy he didn't show up.
Could he have handled it better? For sure. But the comments on the website are going a bit too far in my opinion.

How childish can one be... You know the man because of his music anyway. I don’t get it. I don’t like show business for one bit. For sure I’d love to have seen MK there but I can’t blame him for not showing up. Gives him time to finish that new album!
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1374 on: April 17, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »
It was evident that he was nervous. His hands.

Dire Straits’s Rock Hall Induction Was a Weirdly Beautiful Mess :)

Anyone would be nervous reading from a sheet of paper a speech they'd scribbled down only a few moments ago!

I found the video where I got the info from.  Not sure if it was posted on here (forgive me if it has).  Some other interesting stuff too:

When John talks about the lost of drum track...is it a diplomatic way to talk about Terry replacement by Omar ?  ::) or did I misunderstand ?

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1376 on: April 17, 2018, 01:10:57 PM »

When John talks about the lost of drum track...is it a diplomatic way to talk about Terry replacement by Omar ?  ::) or did I misunderstand ?
[/quote]

I don't think he'd lie just to be diplomatic so they must've lost the drum tracks.  Why Terry couldn't have re-recorded them I do not know.  Maybe he was busy so Omar was brought in?  I was always under the impression it was because Mark didn't like his drumming on it, and it seemed that even Guy thought they only lost a single track!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #1377 on: April 17, 2018, 03:07:08 PM »
Denae:

I hope you can tell us why there wasn’t an induction speech for Dire Straits. John’s comments were gracious but it was just odd. Can you tell us why it happened that way?

GF:

Yes, simply that the people who were asked, decided not to show up after learning that Mark wasn’t to be there. I’m not sure of the timing of their decisions so it may not be as cruel as it seems. For example, it may not have been known to them that the three of us would take the helm.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #1378 on: April 17, 2018, 03:19:03 PM »
We all have things in our lives that we just don't want to deal with for various reasons. It seems this is happening with Mark and we have to respect it.

Looking forward to the new album!

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Exactly !! You summed it up!! That's how I feel as well !!

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #1379 on: April 17, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
I watched the ceremony video now (well, as much as I could see of it behind my fingers), and I think it wouldn't have been so cringeworthy if they would have left it to John alone to accept the award.

This way, however, it was like: We couldn't get the band together, but the three of us were just SO yearning for a glimpse of spotlight after decades of obscurity that we would do anything for it – even if we''ll have to do the back-patting ourselves, and even if the award was obviously in honour of somebody else.

:smack

Gladly, there are way more important things in the world. Like a new Mark Knopfler album, for instance.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 36 queries.