Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 342814 times)

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
Rock and roll hall of fame is something I never care about, but I recognize than my "fan ego" would like to see them inducted, just to read/hear in the media about DS again.

This  :thumbsup

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
Rock and roll hall of fame is something I never care about, but I recognize than my "fan ego" would like to see them inducted, just to read/hear in the media about DS again.

This  :thumbsup

:thumbsup

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »
I must say I agree with dmg as I was trying to post something similar....  In my opinion, ever since they started working at British Grove in 2007 and made themselves bound to this place more and more, they exactly started to become those "boring old farts" Guy was once joking about himself..   too much time, too many guitars, far too many microphones, but too little inspiration.

I was literally shaking my head reading Guy's line that recent work should be more interesting than working on those timeless masterpieces from 1978 to 1991... all of them.

The result should be more important than the working process, it seems he or they forgot about that...

LE

Funny thing, those very timeless masterpieces from 1978 to 1991 paid for British Grove. Guy loves vintage equipment and music but belittles Dire Straits. If I could say something to him that would be 'thank Dire Straits everyday - including the lineups you were not part of - for your Porsche, your windsurf boards and trips, your mortgage, your home studio and the awesome job you have because none of those would exist without Sultans of Swing, Tunnel of Love, Romeo and Juliet, Money for Nothing and Brothers in Arms'.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
You are thinking of history as a done thing. People lived an everyday life of what we see as a solid piece of history with record releases and tours as landmarks. They are correct to think that they should create regardless of this history, because from their point of view it was their every day life. And as far as it goes for the success that paid the bills for the studios etc, it is a peculiar thing to say, because the way I see it, they have already worked for it with music in the past, and they life has gone different ways, but that doesn't mean they have to pay for it again and again, producing whatever their fans might like. Hmmm, I got something wrong in this runt, or haven't I?  :smack   Well, you know what I mean. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
What "annoy" me about this is the "we always look forward" but when they go on tour like in 2015, they copied and pasted the 2013 tour leaving some songs out to give room to some Tracker ones, and when adding "new songs" to the set as it progress, what they add are old Dire Straits songs instead of MK ones...

It's a curious way to look forward.

Excellent point. And the 2013 tour was a cut and paste of 2010!

Other than the travel and meeting fellow AMIT members the tours are very boring these days.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:52 AM »
At the moment, 11000 votes behind Moody Blues

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
It doesn't matter anyway. This fans vote will count as just one vote together with the another 900 individual votes from experts etc

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

That means that even DS are between the 5 more voted by fans, if the other 900 experts voting don't vote them, DS won't be inducted even they were on number one in fans vote.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
It doesn't matter anyway. This fans vote will count as just one vote together with the another 900 individual votes from experts etc

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

That means that even DS are between the 5 more voted by fans, if the other 900 experts voting don't vote them, DS won't be inducted even they were on number one in fans vote.

And just in case anyone still needs any further proof this circus deserves no credit just click on the link above. When Greenday is already in and Dire Straits had never even been nominated prior to this year's you know something is very wrong. And make no mistake, for some weird reason critics love Radiohead, their spot is granted, only four seats are available.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:46 PM »
I bet that radiohead, bon jovi, and moody blues will be inducted. The rest have to be american artists, though.  I think that The Meters and Nina Simone clearly reign over everybody else. RATM are too rebellious for the system now, and the same goes for MC5. Hmmmm. Maybe one spot for a surprise.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
Stephen and Rob nailed it on Guy's forum. Are they AMIT members? It's hard to tell since pretty much everyone uses nicknames here. In case they are, hats off to you, guys.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2017, 11:05:28 PM »
Stephen' spoint seems valid, but the humongous difference is that MK and Guy lived that fame, it feels natural to them. They have fulfilled the desire, if they ever had it. It no longer bothers them, it is a part of their life.
As for Rob, I find it that being truthful (no question about it) is harsh. And we are not talking here about human lives, we are supposed to be talking about music, art. When you downgrade it to an artful product and then have expectations on another person's lives, I think the balance between the two is lost and with it the real weight of the whole matter.

Simply put, why it means so much to all these people, the Hall of fame. Would they enjoy the music less if they fail, or if they don't show up? I say, a Hall of fame member, might charge 200 $ more, for the next concerts. Does this make any sense? No. They are completely different things. Why mix them up all together?
And if you don't like the last albums as much, (we all like DS more, I believe) well why connect this with the Hall of fame?

My sincere thoughts, no disrespect. 

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:48 PM »
Stephen and Rob nailed it on Guy's forum. Are they AMIT members? It's hard to tell since pretty much everyone uses nicknames here. In case they are, hats off to you, guys.

Certainly seemed to annoy Guy to the extent he answered back in capital letters!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
How is DS doing at the moment  ???

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »
Third... and the fourth quite close...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
I had never heard of Moody Blues in my life but they seem to have a pretty solid fanbase.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 37 queries.