Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 349750 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
Pleased for everyone on here for whom it mattered, but personally I still couldn't give a toss.

Awards are just popularity contests.  Why do you think ABBA are there before DS?  Because they're better?
Don't you go dissin' abba boy!

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Congrats to all member of DS over the years!!
Be interesting who turns up for the award if anyone...
MB
MB! Long time no see!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Wow, now I'm pleasantly surprised, didn't see it coming. If you asked me I'd have come up with exactly the same names but never expected the hall of fame to pick them. Maybe Bon Jovi and Nina Simone, but for the others I really thought they were going for Rage Against the Machine, Judas Priest and Radiohead.

Again, I think Mark is above this bs but it's a nice to have. If the outcome is a little reunion, especially if David is in and Alan is out, it will be worth it. I won't dare say it ain't gonna happen cos I said DS wouldn't be inducted and look at where we are sitting now but I wouldn't hold my breath. Still, congratulating Guy and begging for it now! 
Was Allan ever an official DS member?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »
Wow, now I'm pleasantly surprised, didn't see it coming. If you asked me I'd have come up with exactly the same names but never expected the hall of fame to pick them. Maybe Bon Jovi and Nina Simone, but for the others I really thought they were going for Rage Against the Machine, Judas Priest and Radiohead.

Again, I think Mark is above this bs but it's a nice to have. If the outcome is a little reunion, especially if David is in and Alan is out, it will be worth it. I won't dare say it ain't gonna happen cos I said DS wouldn't be inducted and look at where we are sitting now but I wouldn't hold my breath. Still, congratulating Guy and begging for it now! 

According OES, yes.

But no.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »

He's credited as an official member in every album he played on and also on the hall of fame website. Looks like he will be receiving an invitation.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
He's credited as an official member in every album he played on and also on the hall of fame website. Looks like he will be receiving an invitation.

He will receive the award. After that all the credits where he was a contributor will change to Knoplfler/Clark. And then... he'll wake up.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »

According OES, yes.

But no.
I thought it is mark, guy, John? Company wise

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »

He will receive the award. After that all the credits where he was a contributor will change to Knoplfler/Clark. And then... he'll wake up.

To be honest I do think he deserves the award, he was a very important part of the DS sound, perhaps the second most important part. That being said, after the legacy event I don't think he deserves to perform at the cerimony. Grab your award and go back to your seat.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2017, 04:28:57 PM »

According OES, yes.

But no.
I thought it is mark, guy, John? Company wise

Dire Straits belongs to Mark and John legally speaking but that doesn't define who's a member and who isn't me thinks. Apparently it all comes down to who has been an official member throughout the band's existence and I'm pretty sure Alan was one at some point.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2017, 05:43:34 PM »
It's complicate. Since the beginning DS were Mk, John, David and Pick. When David left, DS were MK, JI and PW with Alan and Hal under contract. When Pick left, there were Mk and John as DS and all the rest were under contract.

When OES was released, it was agreed that it will be reflected that also Alan and Guy, as oldest members, were part of DS, and the record production was credited to the four of them that way, but DS overseas was formed just by MK and John.

Funnily, Ed Bicknell was featured in DS overseas as well until he left MK in 2000.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
It's complicate. Since the beginning DS were Mk, John, David and Pick. When David left, DS were MK, JI and PW with Alan and Hal under contract. When Pick left, there were Mk and John as DS and all the rest were under contract.

When OES was released, it was agreed that it will be reflected that also Alan and Guy, as oldest members, were part of DS, and the record production was credited to the four of them that way, but DS overseas was formed just by MK and John.

Funnily, Ed Bicknell was featured in DS overseas as well until he left MK in 2000.
So we can assume guy gets full royalties as a band member for those albums?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
Guy gets royalties as producer for OES and OTN.

Alan gets royalties just for OES as producer.

David and Pick got royalties, at least in the past, for the records in which they played as full members of the band. After their departure, there were just two full band members, mk and John.

The OES tour costed a lot of money, that was paid by DS overseas (mk, John and ed) and they assumed a financial risk. The rest ( including Alan and Guy) got paid the same despite the tour generates benefits or debts.

I guess that Alan and Guy got paid more than the rest of musicians, as they were at least three levels economically, the first were DS overseas, the second Alan and Guy ( they were the other two DS...) and the third step, the rest of musicians.

I'm sure that everything is even more complicated than this...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 06:14:20 PM by jbaent »

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »
Finally! Just about 20 years late. :)

This joke has been going on far too long.

If MK declines to perform, will Legacy get the call?  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
As long as Mk, John, David, Pick, Alan and Guy have been inducted to the hall of fame as DS members, I guess any of them can go and attend the ceremony.

It would be even possible that David and Alan play together any of the DS first record songs, as they already did during last David tour celebrating the 40th anniversary of his musical career.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
Pleased for everyone on here for whom it mattered, but personally I still couldn't give a toss.

Awards are just popularity contests.  Why do you think ABBA are there before DS?  Because they're better?
Well you can't compare the two, but if you imply they are no good, i have to respectfully disagree. Their songs are indeed  pop masterpieces.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:48:31 PM by vgonis »
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 37 queries.