Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350845 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #345 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
Mark: "Just shut up!"

I'm feeling a strong possibility of a double meaning of this quote considering all the factors, but please don't try, I won't fight with you again.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #346 on: January 19, 2018, 11:40:40 PM »
Ok, just my two cents on what triggered off the whole issue between the Knopflers - and based on the very little I know about it and bands in general.

It's easy to tell Mark is a genius and David isn't. I'm not saying David isn't talented, he is, but compared to Mark he's just a good musician. It was also pretty evident that DS was MK and MK was DS, from the get go. David then had two options, he could have either accepted it like John did or fought it and eventually drop out to seek a solo career, which is what he ended up doing.

A lot of good points there Ed.  Seems David has a bigger ego than JI, so big that it wouldn't allow him to stay.

I think David failed to understand how lucky he was. John did not. Now John seems to be the most relaxed person in the world lol and not worried about his mortgage. Guess who was wiser...
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #347 on: January 20, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
Ok, just my two cents on what triggered off the whole issue between the Knopflers - and based on the very little I know about it and bands in general.

It's easy to tell Mark is a genius and David isn't. I'm not saying David isn't talented, he is, but compared to Mark he's just a good musician. It was also pretty evident that DS was MK and MK was DS, from the get go. David then had two options, he could have either accepted it like John did or fought it and eventually drop out to seek a solo career, which is what he ended up doing.

A lot of good points there Ed.  Seems David has a bigger ego than JI, so big that it wouldn't allow him to stay.

I think David failed to understand how lucky he was. John did not. Now John seems to be the most relaxed person in the world lol and not worried about his mortgage. Guess who was wiser...

David was composing his own songs from even before DS early days and he continued while he was in DS but his songs never got further than some live concerts so he had musical ambitions that John didn't had.

David did the right thing for what he wanted to do. John maybe was writing songs as well, but he didn't mattered about them as much as David.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #348 on: January 20, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
I would never blame David for being ambitious, especially when you are young, but let's face the music, he's recorded dozens of songs since he left DS and despite some being very good none of them comes close to what Mark had or has produced. I think his ego - combined with the fact that Mark's attitude wasn't easy to put up with - prevented him from making better choices if you will. Yes, he'd been writing songs, but he could've recorded them without having to leave DS. Now it all comes down to how David feels about his choices. Perhaps he's happy with how things developed after the breakup and just wants his big brother back. All we can do is to wonder what we would've done instead based on the very limited knowledge we have on the matter. Me? I'd have stuck around, put up with Mark's behaviour, studied a lot to become an even better guitar player and made a leaving out of what my brother built. Sometimes all we need to do is to humble up, swallow our pride, put our ideals aside and enjoy the ride.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #349 on: January 20, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »
Just for the record, despite his twisted political views and belligerent attitude towards followers who think differently, David seems to be a very good chap. Maybe a bit bitter sometimes but I think it has more to do with his personality rather than his past choices or financial struggle if there's any at all.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
Why David left Dire Straits ?

His own choice or the circumstances had him to do so?

Besides being his brother, David is the only member (apart Mark of course) to have his own material performed within the early days of DS that put him in a different situation than Pick and John.

So both David and Mark wanted to make it as composers but it turned out there was room for only one.

What happened afterwards?

We don't really know all the truth apart that Dave failed to get successful while the band he was previously in topped the charts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:38:53 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
Sometimes all we need to do is to humble up, swallow our pride, put our ideals aside and enjoy the ride.

Excatly, and Mark did the total opposite at that time : David explains inthe Oldfield book that he didn't understand why all the world seemed to see in Mark an "ayatollah" when he just saw his brother.

You are all saying that David "chose" to leave. What is described in the Oldfield book is not exactly that. Mark was very selfish, he wanted that David to apologise, only for not having played a particular guitar part in the studio...so yes, "sometimes all we need to do si to humble up..." indeed, but Mark had to do it too imho

I think it's not that clear that David "left" the band. Even if he didn't leave at that time, I guess that Mark would have "fired" him up a few months/years later...

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »
Sometimes all we need to do is to humble up, swallow our pride, put our ideals aside and enjoy the ride.

Excatly, and Mark did the total opposite at that time : David explains inthe Oldfield book that he didn't understand why all the world seemed to see in Mark an "ayatollah" when he just saw his brother.

You are all saying that David "chose" to leave. What is described in the Oldfield book is not exactly that. Mark was very selfish, he wanted that David to apologise, only for not having played a particular guitar part in the studio...so yes, "sometimes all we need to do si to humble up..." indeed, but Mark had to do it too imho

I think it's not that clear that David "left" the band. Even if he didn't leave at that time, I guess that Mark would have "fired" him up a few months/years later...

Absolutely, if David was to stay in the band he'd have to accept a secondary role and Mark's rules, including evolving as a musician. When I say that David left the band I mean he didn't want to accept it, the fact that Mark's protagonism was real, and that he, David, would have to subject himself to that, being just the little brother, playing rhythm guitar and doing backing vocals. I don't think Mark would have fired David if David had, let's say, adapted. Instead David wanted to prove himself, to show the world he wasn't just Mark's brother and that he was good enough to lead a successsful solo career. In the end he neither accepted Mark's ruling nor achieved success as a solo artist, at least not commercial success.

But as I said before, it's pretty feasible that David doesn't regret anything and is happy with his career. If you ask me I think he just wants to make peace with his brother and reunite the family. That must be painful having nephews and nieces he doesn't know at all. And it applies to Mark as well, I might be mistaken but David has children too.

Come on guys, leave all the crap behind and be a family again will you.

Now just imagine the scene. David enters Mark's office, Mark gets up, they look into each other's eyes. David is a little timid. They share a smile and then Mark finally says 'come here brother, give me a hug'. They never discuss the past, always forward, just like Mark sees his music. How about that? I almost dropped a tear just picturing it  :clap

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #353 on: January 20, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »
I would never blame David for being ambitious, especially when you are young, but let's face the music, he's recorded dozens of songs since he left DS and despite some being very good none of them comes close to what Mark had or has produced. I think his ego - combined with the fact that Mark's attitude wasn't easy to put up with - prevented him from making better choices if you will. Yes, he'd been writing songs, but he could've recorded them without having to leave DS. Now it all comes down to how David feels about his choices. Perhaps he's happy with how things developed after the breakup and just wants his big brother back. All we can do is to wonder what we would've done instead based on the very limited knowledge we have on the matter. Me? I'd have stuck around, put up with Mark's behaviour, studied a lot to become an even better guitar player and made a leaving out of what my brother built. Sometimes all we need to do is to humble up, swallow our pride, put our ideals aside and enjoy the ride.

It's a shame some of David's songs didn't make it on DS albums though. I mean, take a listen to Bernadette, great song, and could have easily found its place on DS first album.
It seems clear to me Mark never wanted to share the success. I'm sorry to say that but I always had the feeling I wouldn't appreciate Mark Knopfler, the human being.
I don't know him, I love him as an artist and it's probably better not to know more about him. He doesn't seem to be the easiest and nicest guy to have around.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #354 on: January 20, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »
It's a shame some of David's songs didn't make it on DS albums though. I mean, take a listen to Bernadette, great song, and could have easily found its place on DS first album.
It seems clear to me Mark never wanted to share the success. I'm sorry to say that but I always had the feeling I wouldn't appreciate Mark Knopfler, the human being.
I don't know him, I love him as an artist and it's probably better not to know more about him. He doesn't seem to be the easiest and nicest guy to have around.

I agree, Bernadette is a good song indeed, but... is it better than any song that made the final cut? Because if you include it just because it's David's you'll be doing it for the wrong reason. I'm not saying Mark's the nicest person in the world but I don't think it's about not wanting to share the success either. He probably thought his songs were better. And they were!  :lol

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »
I do not understand. No one knows MK personally. Why do you write that it is unpleasant, etc. Strange
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »

Yeah, I wonder what David thinks now when he looks at the way John's life/career has worked out...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2018, 06:40:56 PM »
do we know anything about David's contacts with DS musicians?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #358 on: January 20, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »
He seems to be friendly with Alan, Pick, Terry and John, at least on social media.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
Yeah, I wonder what David thinks now when he looks at the way John's life/career has worked out...

imagine David's reaction with each new DS album coming out , probably "omg"
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 39 queries.