Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350688 times)

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #510 on: March 10, 2018, 04:58:40 AM »
Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with MK saying,"I'm so special, look at me." He's been done with Dire Straits for 25 years. He's moved on, like or not. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes and his relationships with his brother, Alan Clark etc. It's all conjecture at this point. Honestly, I don't think he really cares one way or another about the RRHOF. I could be wrong. I think his focus is on the new record and the Local Hero musical and to hell with his old band. Would it be great to see an awesome DS set harkening back to their glory days? Absolutely. Will it happen? Highly doubtful.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #511 on: March 10, 2018, 05:38:10 AM »
Fully agree. 
By the way, anyone else here getting the feeling they are reading a current version of Aesop's fable, “The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey”?   :D

Yes! :) Except the AMIT version is a lot longer :(
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
  This isn't about differences guys. Mark is a "stubborn" person and he stands by his decision and the reasons behind those. Most probably he doesn't want to revisit Dire Straits for the same reasons he took his solo career, beside he is old now and past his capability to play the way he played with DS, he most probably doesn't want to destroy his songs, his own creations, for the sake of some nostalgic reunion.

Don't picture him as some selfish egocentric spoiled old man, he is within his right to play or not. He has played thousands of times in front of fans when he felt he could deliver, there are so few musicians who can claim that have been on the road for the fans as Mark has been since day one. He is a lot more comfortable now with songs like Basil or Kingdome of gold or Ragpicker's dream or Privateer and so on.

Would have been it nice to see him play again with John, David and Pick? Maybe only to the satisfaction of seeing them together again, not to the playing itself. For example, I found nothing terrible with Led Zeppelin sitting in the hall when Stairway to Heaven was played on stage at their honoring on Kennedy  awards 2012 I believe. On the contrary, you would feel satisfaction as an artist to see younger generation still playing your music.

Whatever his choice is, I will respect that, he has given so much to me through his music I can never repay. He has earned a free pass so to speak :)

maybe with bankers, BMW directors or private rich mens in the assistance, he would play .... ?   :disbelief

NO DOUBT

He did it already...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
If in the future I will be at the concert of Marek Knopfler and will not play Sultans, I will be very sad.

That already happened during most of the Privateering tour and nobody died...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
He's hardly been destroying Sultans. Does he play it like be used to? No. But, destroying it? Little dramatic, don't you think?
Agree

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

I was just answering this

This isn't about differences guys. Mark is a "stubborn" person and he stands by his decision and the reasons behind those. Most probably he doesn't want to revisit Dire Straits for the same reasons he took his solo career, beside he is old now and past his capability to play the way he played with DS, he most probably doesn't want to destroy his songs, his own creations, for the sake of some nostalgic reunion.

Sultans is by far the most complicate song he would play at this ceremony, so if this user says MK doesnt want to play DS songs with the ex members because he doesnt want to destroy them... following that argumentation, it's a been late... he already destroyed the DS songs during his solo tours. Specially Sultans, everytime I listen it live I fear when it reachs the end with the guitar solos, it's quite painful sometimes.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »
He's hardly been destroying Sultans. Does he play it like be used to? No. But, destroying it? Little dramatic, don't you think?
Agree

I was just answering this

Sultans is by far the most complicate song he would play at this ceremony, so if this user says MK doesnt want to play DS songs with the ex members because he doesnt want to destroy them... following that argumentation, it's a been late... he already destroyed the DS songs during his solo tours. Specially Sultans, everytime I listen it live I fear when it reachs the end with the guitar solos, it's quite painful sometimes.
Mkay

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
If in the future I will be at the concert of Marek Knopfler and will not play Sultans, I will be very sad.

That already happened during most of the Privateering tour and nobody died...
Marek knopfler, gotta love autocorrect

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
I know 2010 is a long time ago now,  but I really still enjoy listening to some of the versions of SOS from that year.  Brighton had an end solo pretty similar to the end solo of the long version from 1992.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2018, 02:12:24 PM »
Mark once said that Sultans plays differently each time :) I will defend this song
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
"Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with MK saying,"I'm so special, look at me." He's been done with Dire Straits for 25 years. He's moved on, like or not. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes and his relationships with his brother, Alan Clark etc. It's all conjecture at this point. Honestly, I don't think he really cares one way or another about the RRHOF. I could be wrong. I think his focus is on the new record and the Local Hero musical and to hell with his old band. Would it be great to see an awesome DS set harkening back to their glory days? Absolutely. Will it happen? Highly doubtful"

I think the same. Thanks Don70 :)
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2018, 02:18:33 PM »
Mark once said that Sultans plays differently each time :) I will defend this song

I didn't miss it during Privateering tour.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2018, 02:23:24 PM »
And I was very happy because he played in my country:) The applause was bemused
Clear as the day

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »

I didn't miss it during Privateering tour.

I will defend it too.  A lot of people were disappointed not to hear it, especially the "tourists" who are already deprived of WOL, MFN and BIA.  It's his signature tune and even though it isn't performed the way it used to be it still deserves its place in the set.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
Going to the ceremony, when all the rest of bands said they will perform, and not perform... To me it's ridiculous, like saying "I'm so special that we will be the only band inducted that is not playing".

Totally agree!

LE

I don't think that Mark feels comfortable enough playing to televised audiences these days guys.  He'd never do a Live Aid now - not even a Monserrat.  I don't think it's a case of thinking he's too important.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
"I will defend it too.  A lot of people were disappointed not to hear it, especially the "tourists" who are already deprived of WOL, MFN and BIA.  It's his signature tune and even though it isn't performed the way it used to be it still deserves its place in the set"

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 39 queries.