Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350962 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #525 on: March 10, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
"I don't think that Mark feels comfortable enough playing to televised audiences these days guys.  He'd never do a Live Aid now - not even a Monserrat.  I don't think it's a case of thinking he's too important"

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #526 on: March 10, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »
"I don't think that Mark feels comfortable enough playing to televised audiences these days guys.  He'd never do a Live Aid now - not even a Monserrat.  I don't think it's a case of thinking he's too important"

You don't need to use " to quote what others said, you can click QUOTE instead of REPLY.

Is easier to read to anybody.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »

You don't need to use " to quote what others said, you can click QUOTE instead of REPLY.

Is easier to read to anybody.

Of course. Thank you  :)
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
"I will defend it too.  A lot of people were disappointed not to hear it, especially the "tourists" who are already deprived of WOL, MFN and BIA.  It's his signature tune and even though it isn't performed the way it used to be it still deserves its place in the set"

Me too!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #529 on: March 10, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
Going to the ceremony, when all the rest of bands said they will perform, and not perform... To me it's ridiculous, like saying "I'm so special that we will be the only band inducted that is not playing".

Totally agree!

LE

I don't think that Mark feels comfortable enough playing to televised audiences these days guys.  He'd never do a Live Aid now - not even a Monserrat.  I don't think it's a case of thinking he's too important.

Generally spoken, I think it's all denial. THE GREAT DENIAL, he could name his autobiography this way if he ever wrote one... denying playing guitar solos, denying playing the guitar as he used to, denying to play his master pieces live, denying to release video stuff, DVD, Blu-Ray, denying this and that... it's so frustrating to be an MK fans
at times...
Really folks, the man who wrote Before Gas & TV or So Far From The Clyde or Silvertown Blues or fill in another of his master pieces, never give them a try live. Instead of this we will have another CBC FAS/HFB P combo and another Marbletown/Speedway/Telegraph/Brothers block. He will end his career one day and SFFTC will never been played live. Sometimes it seems that alone the fact that people expect something from him makes it sure to not give it to them.

This "I am an artist and the song is the king and" attitude is totally annoying. If only the greatness of his material would correspond with this attitude, I would be much calmer.. but it's getting more and more uninspired and sedative and unspectatular and his attitude is getting more and more out of touch...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #530 on: March 10, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
Just imagine that his manager or account run away with all his money, like it happened to Leonard Cohen...

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »
He's hardly been destroying Sultans. Does he play it like be used to? No. But, destroying it? Little dramatic, don't you think?
Agree

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

I was just answering this

This isn't about differences guys. Mark is a "stubborn" person and he stands by his decision and the reasons behind those. Most probably he doesn't want to revisit Dire Straits for the same reasons he took his solo career, beside he is old now and past his capability to play the way he played with DS, he most probably doesn't want to destroy his songs, his own creations, for the sake of some nostalgic reunion.

Sultans is by far the most complicate song he would play at this ceremony, so if this user says MK doesnt want to play DS songs with the ex members because he doesnt want to destroy them... following that argumentation, it's a been late... he already destroyed the DS songs during his solo tours. Specially Sultans, everytime I listen it live I fear when it reachs the end with the guitar solos, it's quite painful sometimes.

Totally agree. Looks like he can’t be bothered playing Sultans but he does just to please the audiences. It can be atrocious sometimes. Having said that, I do believe that it’s a matter of motivation and despite no longer possessing the fluidity he had in the past he can still deliver great Sultans of Swing versions with great solos in case he wants to. The problem here is he’s been playing it without passion and you don’t control passion, you either have it or not.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #532 on: March 10, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
LE, Mark is almost 70 years old, rich as hell and lazy, as he loves stating himself. I’m done expecting more than a great album every 2-3 years and low quality amateur live recordings on YouTube. That’s all we’re getting until the day he retires, I’ve accepted it.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »
Lazy? We have an album every two years. Then tour. Mark is creative and overworked like never before. He does not have to be anymore. He wants. I hope everyone is happy :)
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
Lazy? We have an album every two years. Then tour. Mark is creative and overworked like never before. He does not have to be anymore. He wants. I hope everyone is happy :)

He plays around 100 concerts, mostly every two years!    How many members here could manage that when they are approaching 70?    ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
Exactly :)
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
Let's applaud it because someday we will miss everything.
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #537 on: March 10, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »

He plays around 100 concerts, mostly every two years!    How many members here could manage that when they are approaching 70?    ::)

Bob Dylan?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #538 on: March 10, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

Bob Dylan?

Jbaent, I said "members here"!    Yes, Bob Dylan tours every year, but having seen him in concert, I wouldn't want to repeat the experience - it was too painful!    ;)     

Mark is soon to release another album and has also written a musical, as you know.   He will probably tour the album next year - does that make him lazy?    Maybe all of you armchair critics could do that, could you?   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #539 on: March 10, 2018, 05:14:27 PM »
Oh, sorry Val. I read it too quickly...

I agree with Dylan. I rather see MK retired than touring like Dylan does, barking instead singing...

Mk tours extensively yes, but there are just some months every two years so I think I do a bigger effort waking up at six o'clock every morning to work every day during all year except holidays.

Same with any Amit member. Waking every morning to work every day all the year, year after year, that's an effort. Touring 4 or 5 months every two years, sometimes more... Well, that's a great life doing a great work.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 42 queries.